1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Alisa Priddle
October 21, 2012
Freep

Production of the next generation of Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS, the company's flagship sedans, is expected to move to Michigan's Flat Rock plant in a couple of years, providing security and maybe even more jobs than the 1,400 people to be hired for a current expansion, the Free Press has learned.

The exact number of new jobs is not yet known, but Flat Rock will become Ford's central hub for midsize and full-size cars. That marks a sharp contrast from a year ago, when the factory was barely able to keep one shift busy making the Ford Mustang and the Mazda6. There were fears among workers that the plant, formerly known as AutoAlliance International, might be scrapped or sold off.

Full-size sedans don't sell in volumes as high as midsize cars, but they tend to be profitable and establish a brand's image.

"I'm looking forward to adding jobs to the Downriver area and to help the community," said Steve Gonzales, president of UAW Local 3000, which represents workers at Flat Rock.

Already, union officials are expecting the second shift that begins next July will require the addition of 1,400 jobs -- 200 more than originally planned to add Ford Fusion production. About 1,763 workers currently make the Mustang on a single shift and will add the Fusion in February. Company officials say they expect only 1,200 new jobs initially.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
this part is OK,
"...CD4...will serve as the foundation for a wide swath of vehicles for both Ford and Lincoln, including midsize and full-size sedans, Explorer, the next generation of Edge and MKX crossovers and potentially the future Flex and Lincoln MKT larger crossovers, said Michael Robinet, managing director of IHS Automotive Consulting in Northville.
If Ford's Flat Rock, Chicago and Oakville, Ontario, plants are all equipped to make CD4 vehicles, Ford can shift products between plants to meet demand, he said..."​

but
I don't understand putting so many body styles in FlatRock (unless the Mustang moves out)
&
I've been reading about labor/personnel problems at CAP
& wonder if it'll get starved for product temporarily just to reduce it's current workforce, ie fire (most? of) them without going thru procedures

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I don't understand putting so many body styles in FlatRock (unless the Mustang moves out)
Do you think it could move to Chicago? We are also going to see a Lincoln version and maybe a Falcon. Flat Rock would be overcrowded if that happened.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Do you think it could move to Chicago? We are also going to see a Lincoln version and maybe a Falcon. Flat Rock would be overcrowded if that happened.
well...
maybe I just got used to the idea that FlatRock would be the Mustang+Fusion?
but
afaik no Ford plant has 3 different platforms so far (right?)
&
if they were going to move the Mustang (& any platform-mates) to any plant other than FlatRock, it'd make sense to do it DURING the model change; not shortly after it
+
the difficulties it seems Chicago is having would make it an iffy choice for a vehicle as important as the Mustang (& any platform-mates)

confused

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It will probably shack up with the rest of the CD4 crossovers in Oakville.
well
afaik from online documents,
there will/could be 2 Explorers & 2 Tauruseses
(which probably wouldN'T be made in the same assembly plant)
• the new CD4+3 versions (2nd half of 2015)
&
• the current-old Interceptors (thru Q1 2017)
(the Interceptor^info is 2 years old)

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
well
afaik from online documents,
there will/could be 2 Explorers & 2 Tauruseses
(which probably wouldN'T be made in the same assembly plant)
• the new CD4+3 versions (2nd half of 2015)
&
• the current-old Interceptors (thru Q1 2017)
(the Interceptor^info is 2 years old)
If that's true, Chicago will close shortly after the last one rolls of the line.

I wonder if Ford has any plans for a new factory(or factories) in the U.S.? They haven't built a new factory in quite some time.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS production could be added to Michigan plant, report says - AutomotiveNews
Vince Bond Jr.
October 22, 2012 - 11:39 am ET
UPDATED: 10/22/12 5:05 pm ET

DETROIT -- Production of the Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS sedans could be added at Ford's plant in Flat Rock, Mich., near Detroit within a couple of years, a Detroit newspaper reported today.

Ford is adding 1,200 jobs to the plant to handle Fusion production that begins in February, and more workers could be needed to handle Taurus and MKS production, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Ford now builds the Taurus and MKS in Chicago.

The report said it wasn't clear how many jobs would be created if such a move takes place. UAW officials said they already expect 1,400 jobs to be created in Flat Rock, 200 more than originally planned, for Fusion production, according to the Free Press...

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS production could be added to Michigan plant, report says - AutomotiveNews
Vince Bond Jr.
October 22, 2012 - 11:39 am ET
UPDATED: 10/22/12 5:05 pm ET

DETROIT -- Production of the Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS sedans could be added at Ford's plant in Flat Rock, Mich., near Detroit within a couple of years, a Detroit newspaper reported today.

Ford is adding 1,200 jobs to the plant to handle Fusion production that begins in February, and more workers could be needed to handle Taurus and MKS production, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Ford now builds the Taurus and MKS in Chicago.

The report said it wasn't clear how many jobs would be created if such a move takes place. UAW officials said they already expect 1,400 jobs to be created in Flat Rock, 200 more than originally planned, for Fusion production, according to the Free Press...
Which article is correct?:confused: Are they being moved or added to Flat Rock? Why can't they ask "What will Chicago's fate be"? I hate the media.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can someone tell me if any MKZs are going to be built in Flat Rock? I've been trying to find out all over the internet, but nobody knows. (or will tell)

Also, this retains a glimmer of hope that the Taurus and MKS will go RWD!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Can someone tell me if any MKZs are going to be built in Flat Rock? I've been trying to find out all over the internet, but nobody knows. (or will tell)
sorry I don't have Links handy but for now only the NON-Hybrid Fusions will be built along side the Mustang
(& Welcome to FiN!)

Also, this retains a glimmer of hope that the Taurus and MKS will go RWD!
AGREE crossreference/Link/Poll

·
Registered
206 Posts
sorry I don't have Links handy but for now only the NON-Hybrid Fusions will be built along side the Mustang
(& Welcome to FiN!)

AGREE crossreference/Link/Poll
Aww I was hoping they would build some of them here. Oh well, it makes the decision for my next car that much easier. I have a feeling the Taurus will stay FWD while the MKS will go RWD, possibly with a coupe variant.

Thanks for the welcome! I peek in here from time to time, but I spend the vast majority of my time over at the Motor Trend forums. You'll see me around more though since I finally made an account haha.

I'll check that thread out and vote!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've read your posts on MT. I used to be a member there, but had my account removed due to children and MT stupidity. LOL

I still read, however. Zoomin has turned into quite the Ford troll.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh really? What was your name? Yea, the quality of the members at MT has gone way down since I joined. Sadly a lot of the newer members are people around my age, and enjoy trolling more than actually discussing cars. I'd go over car fanatics, but it's always a pissing contest between the GM fans and everyone else. For some reason Zoomin has been on a trolling tirade lately. I see through his posts, but most people don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts