Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD BUILDS ON ADVANCED MATERIALS USE IN ALL-NEW F-150 WITH LIGHTWEIGHT CONCEPT CAR

Ford Lightweight Concept vehicle represents Ford’s ongoing research for future light-weighting and advanced materials applications, building on the all-new Ford F-150, which sheds up to 700 pounds through use of high-strength steel and aluminum alloys
Light-weighting is a key component in Ford’s Blueprint for Sustainability; mixed-materials research vehicle explores how advanced materials might be applied for future high-volume vehicle production for better performance and gas mileage, and carbon dioxide emission reduction
Ford Lightweight Concept reduces the weight of a 2013 Fusion to that of a Ford Fiesta, resulting in a nearly 25 percent weight reduction
Mixed-materials research vehicle developed in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Vehicle Technologies Program, together with Cosma International – a subsidiary of Magna International
Ford Motor Company today unveiled its Lightweight Concept vehicle, which uses advanced materials to explore future weight-reduction solutions that could improve performance and fuel efficiency while reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

The vehicle represents the latest phase of Ford’s research into developing sustainable technology solutions that are affordable for consumers and can be produced in large volumes across the product lineup. This research has also led to dramatic weight reductions of up to 700 pounds in the all-new F-150. The 2015 F-150 sheds weight through the use of high-strength steel and aluminum, enabling it to tow more, haul more, accelerate quicker and stop shorter – all with improved gas mileage.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...d-materials-use-with-lightweight-concept.html

·
Registered
428 Posts
one question.......it is to hard for Ford to use a Lincoln for this "new" tech???
I think this too big of a deal to make it Lincoln. This is to send a message that FoMoCo as a company is focused on making lighter vehicles. Now, Ford should make a similar thing announcing that all of future Lincolns will be aluminum bodied. That should send a message that Lincoln is really serious about forward thinking in manufacturing and weight reduction. Oh, and not just any aluminum, but the space grade one used in the new F-150 and showing that is stronger than steel and the strongest aluminum in the industry.That should give people something to think about.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this too big of a deal to make it Lincoln. This is to send a message that FoMoCo as a company is focused on making lighter vehicles. Now, Ford should make a similar thing announcing that all of future Lincolns will be aluminum bodied. That should send a message that Lincoln is really serious about forward thinking in manufacturing and weight reduction. Oh, and not just any aluminum, but the space grade one used in the new F-150 and showing that is stronger than steel and the strongest aluminum in the industry.That should give people something to think about.
For the same reason, it would be nice to see that ford plans to usea aluminum in future lincolns, all aluminum lincolns. Ford doesnt need this because, in a way, they already show with the f150 that they will use aluminum in fords

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There is zero reason not to feature the MKZ in this promotion though. The great irony here is that building this would be to expensive for a Fusion class vehicle, but some of it could be added to a premium Lincoln vehicle that has the extra margin to build it into. Is there a single new technology that Ford has launched/announced that featured Lincoln? Is there a good reason to treat your premium brand like a red headed step child rather than your crown jewel?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
For the same reason, it would be nice to see that ford plans to usea aluminum in future lincolns, all aluminum lincolns. Ford doesnt need this because, in a way, they already show with the f150 that they will use aluminum in fords
The problem is Lincoln cannot build an aluminum vehicle without also doing the Ford because Lincoln does not have the volume to justify it's own production plants at this time. The process of building the above vehicle will be far different than building the current Fusion/MKZ, thus completely different lines are going to be required.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is zero reason not to feature the MKZ in this promotion though. The great irony here is that building this would be to expensive for a Fusion class vehicle, but some of it could be added to a premium Lincoln vehicle that has the extra margin to build it into. Is there a single new technology that Ford has launched/announced that featured Lincoln? Is there a good reason to treat your premium brand like a red headed step child rather than your crown jewel?
we sometimes disagree SP, but when we agree, we agree!! (with all you've said)

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jose's not always wrong, but when he is, it's because he disagreed with SP!!

:thumb:
hahahaha :lmao: I was going to write something like that.
I think it goes like this:
When you are right it is because you agree with me, when you don't agree with me you are NOT right haha

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
it appears I'm slowly [Thank]ing every post in this thread
so^...

IMHO

THE LEAST that FLincMoCo ought to do is
for every technology that will eventually make its way into a Lincoln
(the FORD Brand is IRRELEVANT here)
((I don't even care which is on-sale first))
they need to USE Lincoln to INTRO that technology

AT LEAST for Media/SoundBite/PhotoOp purposes

not to do so ALREADY
is just plain CRAZY

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I think what makes it to production for MY2017 is more high strength steel frame and aluminum. Ford will have massive aluminum production with the F-150, and adding an aluminum hood, trunk, fenders, etc to the Fusion should be an easy task.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
hahahaha :lmao: I was going to write something like that.
I think it goes like this:
When you are right it is because you agree with me, when you don't agree with me you are NOT right haha
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is no unique engineering R&A facility with Lincoln only employees. We all work for Ford, and the technology gets shared across the company.
yeah I know that wings but why they don't use a MKZ instead of a fusion with this? they also use a fusion when they test the self-driving tech.
for example: GM was also developing that system and for testing and show it to the media they use a Cadillac

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Lincoln already beat Cadillac (and Ford) to market with their semi-self driving car (MKS and MKT), so there is that.

But swapping out an Fusion with a MKZ would mean absolutely nothing, because their structure is identical. Even the current powertrains are no different.

Future products and development is another story.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
it appears I'm slowly [Thank]ing every post in this thread
so^...

IMHO

THE LEAST that FLincMoCo ought to do is
for every technology that will eventually make its way into a Lincoln
(the FORD Brand is IRRELEVANT here)
((I don't even care which is on-sale first))
they need to USE Lincoln to INTRO that technology

AT LEAST for Media/SoundBite/PhotoOp purposes

not to do so ALREADY
is just plain CRAZY
Perception matters as much, sometimes more than reality. The current perception is Lincoln is nothing but an expensive Ford. Will debuting tech like the the the lightweight Fusion swapped with the MKZ change that perception on it's own? No, but it would help a little and it would not hurt Ford in any imaginable way to do so. I don't see any downside to using Lincoln is these situations, but there is a clear downside to using a Ford so why do it?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Perception matters as much, sometimes more than reality. The current perception is Lincoln is nothing but an expensive Ford. Will debuting tech like the the the lightweight Fusion swapped with the MKZ change that perception on it's own? No, but it would help a little and it would not hurt Ford in any imaginable way to do so. I don't see any downside to using Lincoln is these situations, but there is a clear downside to using a Ford so why do it?
As I said in another thread Ford debuts all the new technology and then it trickles UP to Lincoln.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts