Ford Inside News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than two days since Ford Motor Co.'s unveiling of an electric version of its best-selling pickup truck, the automaker said it already had received nearly 45,000 reservations for F-150 Lightning.

Ford CEO Jim Farley said Friday on Twitter that the company had received more than 44,500 reservations. Ford opened up reservations Wednesday night upon the reveal, allowing customers to put down a $100 deposit to reserve a truck. They will later be asked to place an actual order.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Many, dare I say most, are quite impressed with the Lightening. Ford really impressed the industry with a low cost and very capable new truck that does not dillute the Lightening name. I can't wait to drive one and experience what a low CG with massive torque and IRS feels like in a pickup. And that frunk is wonderful.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm fairly impressed, myself, though I'm always the jerk who waits for the instrumented tests...and, in the case of something as game-changing as this, I'll be watching the reports on living with Lightnings with much interest.

I know that Jalopnik is convinced the towing range will be unimpressive, but I have to believe that Ford tested the work aspects pretty thoroughly. It's gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'm fairly impressed, myself, though I'm always the jerk who waits for the instrumented tests...and, in the case of something as game-changing as this, I'll be watching the reports on living with Lightnings with much interest.

I know that Jalopnik is convinced the towing range will be unimpressive, but I have to believe that Ford tested the work aspects pretty thoroughly. It's gonna be interesting.
This guy from a tech channel was invited by Ford, he was able to talk to the people behind the F150 Lightning. His take, it looks like Ford might have posted figures lower than the actual ones.

He also mentioned Tesla always uses their best figures, which is why nobody can actually meet them.

I think Ford hasn't released other details for their battery packs but this one is huge.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not a Rivian skateboard truck, contrary to social media claims. This is a modified F-150 frame, to accommodate the Rivian designed battery -- for now. Anyone see any spec comparisons yet that compare Cybertruck and Lightening and Rivian. I did hear Ford compare their charging ability, claiming 200 kW home charging at launch, capable of adding 140 miles of range.....at home....in only 20 minutes. Shortly after, no doubt when Ford uses their own batteries which they plan on manufacturing around the world, and of course claiming they plan to be leaders in. That blows away the Rivian, who I believe I recall about 13 kW of charging. I have little doubt that Ford will match or leap frog the best battery tech on the market, when they do. Do not under-estimate Ford and their typically conservative approach, especially with start-ups that have yet to actually sell a vehicle.

·
Registered
632 Posts
One thing I've always admired about Porsche (among many) is that their performance estimates regarding new models are always conservative...so, if the numbers they give you are impressive, the reality will always be at least as good.

Ford has done this in the past, as well. I think the Lightning would be a great vehicle for exceeding expectations.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
The electrification strategy at Ford is being incredibly successful. The Mustang Mach E is a success with the press and with customers. Is an incredible car with style, power, practicality and efficiency. The most attractive Ford right now. The new Lightning is a fantastic truck, aimed to the core of Ford customers: the F series buyers. And, again, is a home run... attractive, practical, efficient, innovative... a real truck for real customers . Not like the Tesla Cyberjoke, that looks completely useless as a work vehicle. The Electric Transit will be the van of choice for every business in USA in the next years.
Then, the new pair of medium size SUVs: the electric Explorer and the Lincoln version. Again, we can expect a new and innovative vehicle that will fight with the best of the segment.

Will be Ford, not Tesla, ,who massifies the use of electric vehicles in the USA. And that must be a source of pride for Ford.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Not like the Tesla Cyberjoke, that looks completely useless as a work vehicle. The Electric Transit will be the van of choice for every business in USA in the next years.
Even Elon Musk thinks the Cybertruck might be a flop. lol
Tesla CEO Elon Musk admitted Thursday the Cybertruck might flop but said he doesn’t care because he loves its unusual trapezoid-like design.
Read More here: Elon Musk admits Tesla's Cybertruck could flop (cnbc.com)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I believe that the total reservations now top 120,000.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I believe that the total reservations now top 120,000.
I have a feeling a large percentage of the Lightning reservations will be translated to actual sales.
In the case of the Cybertruck... not sure of its 1M+ reservations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts