1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Siu
Sep 26
AutoGuide

Microsoft is looking for a replacement CEO now that Steve Ballmer is on his way out, and current Ford CEO Alan Mulally is at the top of the list of candidates.

The former Boeing CEO has been largely credited for the incredible turnaround at Ford. As part of Mulally’s global plan, he sold off duplicating brands and assets to focus on Ford and Lincoln while expanding the American automaker’s manufacturing presence.

Analysts believe that Microsoft needs to do something similar by refocusing on its core brands. In recent years, the technology giant has invested heavily into mobile phones and tablets, neither of which have been paying off. That’s not to even mention how negatively received its latest version of Windows 8 has been.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Only the best man can save Microsoft from the debacle. That man is Mr Mulally

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Mulally is too old I don't see this happening

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Dont judge a man by the age... Mr M is a very capable executive. The best CEO in USA rigth now. The Ford turnarround is impressive and is a Mr M job
I am not doubting his ability, I just don't see the board accepting him because by the time he leaves Ford maybe around 2014 he will be 69

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Microsoft has major issues do in large part to the changing landscape in the computer market compounded by their own ham handed ways.

Servers: They compete with specialty companies like Oracle on the high end while free open source products eat their low end lunch.

Client Systems: As the traditional PC market continues to shrink in the retail world and tablets and phones take up much of the space left behind Microsoft is a follower trying to overcome the market momentum of Apple and the once again price off free from Android. Not even a market leader like Blackberry has been able to crack that market and in spite of their investments neither Windows Phone nor Surface have made more than a scratch in the marketplace.

The negative momentum is far more difficult to overcome in the tech sector than it is in the automotive sector. If Mullaly takes that job it just may be the one that kills him.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Mulally didn't know anything about the car business when he joined Ford, but is it acceptable if he knows nothing about software and consumer electronics? Although Microsoft is capable of great things, they have made very bad decisions on their consumer business despite their ambition to excite and innovate. These are huge problems which may not just be managerial in nature but require the vision of a leader to sort.

I can see Mulally basically coming in to disrupt the toxic inbred corporate culture at Microsoft, similar to what happened at Ford. And compared to Ford, Microsoft is in better financial condition with better products already in place. It may not be an impossible challenge.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mulally didn't know anything about the car business when he joined Ford, but is it acceptable if he knows nothing about software and consumer electronics? Although Microsoft is capable of great things, they have made very bad decisions on their consumer business despite their ambition to excite and innovate. These are huge problems which may not just be managerial in nature but require the vision of a leader to sort.

I can see Mulally basically coming in to disrupt the toxic inbred corporate culture at Microsoft, similar to what happened at Ford. And compared to Ford, Microsoft is in better financial condition with better products already in place. It may not be an impossible challenge.
The plane business and car business are still very much alike. Its just one flies and the other one does not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts