Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, exactly, are Ford dealerships supposed to look like? I recall reading that Ford was following GM in pushing dealers to remodel their showrooms, however I've yet to see what Ford actually wants them to look like.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
That's what all three new/remodeled Ford dealerships look like around me.

I still contend that all Ford dealers should not look the same. They shod have a regional look.

Ones in Virginia would look like Colonial Williamsburg. Ones in Florida like St. Augustine, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what all three new/remodeled Ford dealerships look like around me.

I still contend that all Ford dealers should not look the same. They shod have a regional look.

Ones in Virginia would look like Colonial Williamsburg. Ones in Florida like St. Augustine, etc.

I'd be curious to know how involved Ford gets with the renovation plans. GM tells the dealer everything down to which paint goes where, and what tile is in the bathrooms.

I'm not particularly wowed by some of the Lincoln stores. They don't even use LED lighting....Chevy dealers even use that now!

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I'd be curious to know how involved Ford gets with the renovation plans. GM tells the dealer everything down to which paint goes where, and what tile is in the bathrooms.

I'm not particularly wowed by some of the Lincoln stores. They don't even use LED lighting....Chevy dealers even use that now!
I know they will fund part of the renovation, I'm not sure if they use teams like GM does.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Both Ford Dealerships back home in RI don't look anything like that. I will be back from the 3-14 I will spin by both of them to check them out but I doubt they have done anything.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ & ^^ yeah
we need to see an example of how a Lincoln-Ford conjoined-twin dealer handles the 2 Looks

...I still contend that all Ford dealers should not look the same. They shod have a regional look...
sorta agree
-- think there should be several not-
themes that dealers could choose from
-- believe the whole regional "architecture" is overdone esp on commercial buildings
-- unless Ford gains more control over the dealers practices, identical appearance actually HURTS Ford's reputation by "spreading the taint" of every bad dealer out there
&
first impression:

White Castle^, "Want fries with your Sliders?"

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
first impression:

White Castle^, "Want fries with your Sliders?"
I disagree, its very industrial, not unlike modern Apple stores. I think there is some advantage to a common design language for the dealers, though not to the point that they are almost identical. There should be some room for individual franchises to differentiate themselves.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree, its very industrial, not unlike modern Apple stores. I think there is some advantage to a common design language for the dealers, though not to the point that they are almost identical. There should be some room for individual franchises to differentiate themselves.
I agree that all dealerships need to have a common look. It builds brand image and creates a unified customer experience.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho there DO need to be 'standards' (signage, amenities, Policies!) but
it's not like dealerships are Denny's that some go to frequently* & in different locations, expecting a Uniform! experience...guaranteed...
(* by time the customer returns, if they do, they might find the next-great architecture in place anyway)
...& as we know, dealership experiences vary greatly.

I just don't see much benefit to what's still going be very different "paintings", just with identical "frames"

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I agree that all dealerships need to have a common look. It builds brand image and creates a unified customer experience.

The interiors can have a common look, but I prefer regional exterior designs.

I really like the way some Cadillac dealerships look like. This one is a bit different from the rest, though. I believe it's Mediterranean Revival. The dealership is located in Florida.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
We had a thread on it last year maybe.. they look similar actually

Looks terrible. Cheap. Just like Metairie. It's new from the ground up..... They had to relocate..... I haven't been inside it yet.

I prefer Cadillac's dealership designs.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Lincoln dealerships need to have a "boutique" feel. I believe that's what they're shooting for long-term.

I personally hate the dealership setbacks. Parking and inventory should be in the back of the building, and the building needs to be up close to the road..... Sorta like they way things were way back when.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
a fine example of Klassic Kitsch

or is it NeoArcheoMcMansion?

imhos
-- they could have a couple std styles like Techno/Urban & Casual/Rustic plus a couple alternatives that would need approval for the specific location (interestingly, I don't have any problem with all the Service areas having identical styling
)
OR
-- think FLincMoCo could save a bunch o' bucks by simply saying, "Use the styling of any nearby ultra-high-end GROCERY(edit: /Furniture/Clothing) Store" ... if none exists, the dealer is in the wrong location anyway ... and if someone came in for groceries by mistake: that's just fine

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
a fine example of Klassic Kitsch :thumb:
or is it NeoArcheoMcMansion? :angel

imhos
-- they could have a couple std styles like Techno/Urban & Casual/Rustic plus a couple alternatives that would need approval for the specific location (interestingly, I don't have any problem with all the Service areas having identical styling :lmao:)
OR
-- think FLincMoCo could save a bunch o' bucks by simply saying, "Use the styling of any nearby ultra-high-end GROCERY Store" ... if none exists, the dealer is in the wrong location anyway ... and if someone came in for groceries by mistake: that's just fine :nevreness:
Lincoln stores could be built in gorgeous abandoned/historic buildings too.... Ralph Lauren has done both with his flagship stores.

Not every Ford/Lincoln store needs to have the same exact style, imo.

The "corporate" look ruins a city's character. Look at what McDonald's and Wal-Mart have done to beautiful cities.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts