Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Everest Spied In Colorado, Is It (Or The Ranger) Coming To America?

What could only be a Ford Everest in camouflage was spotted this morning at Mt. Evans, Colorado by two different readers. We reckon it's only here for high-altitude testing, but it's possible the off-roadable SUV might be headed to the US. Or, perhaps, its cousin and perennial Jalopnik favorite: the Ranger.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/spied...-a-dodge-durango-range-r-1597602701/+ballaban

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Haven't they said it wasn't engineered to meet US regulations? As much as I hope they bring this and the Ranger home I'm betting it's just for testing.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The next gen Explorer is due to start production 4th qtr 2015. So I see why that mule is doing high altitude testing. But the Everest being there could very well be high altitude testing for the Ranger, that should launch in the US late 2015 as a MY2016. Ford would not want GM to gain too much momentum with their two small trucks before offering some competition.

BUT....

If the next gen Explorer goes more higher mpg, big family wagon/SUV, that does open the door for the Everest to directly compete with the Jeep RWD/AWD off-road ready vehicles.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Nope, this goes for every vehicle Ford develops now, if it were coming to the US Ford would have made that clear when it was announced. This is not a product designed or intended for American consumption nor is there a sufficient customer.

Again I ask, how many US customers are seeking a truck based midsize SUV with limited interior volume and seating with poor FE at the cost equivalent of every other modern SUV? And...remember....this is primarily a diesel vehicle along with the Ranger...and it's built in Thailand. Strike 1, 2 & 3.

There is another obsolete segment in the US, they never return.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Haven't they said it wasn't engineered to meet US regulations? As much as I hope they bring this and the Ranger home I'm betting it's just for testing.
US regulations have more to do with things like emissions standards, headlights, mandatory reflectors and for passenger cars 2.5-mph bumpers which were designed to prevent damage to headlights and other vital parts at a low-speed 2.5 mph crash (used to be 5mph), this is actually more of a repair cost/insurance issue than a safety issue. The Ranger is a truck so I guess it can skip the bumper part.

The current near-global Ranger T6 will definitely beat the last US-market Ranger in safety, the new Ranger received a 5-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash test just like the Focus and Fiesta.

I think it was Alan Mulally who mentioned that the new "One Ford" vehicles like the Ranger and EcoSport can be modified to meet US regulations if they feel there is a demand for such vehicles in the US.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ford has said that the T6 Ranger is ~90% the size of an F150. If Ford doesn't see demand from the GM midsize twins, they could (should) drop the 3.2L I5 diesel into an F150. A gain in fuel economy with only a minor peak torque loss than the Coyote V8. But the diesel would offer it's peak torque earlier. I still like BOF vehicles, but Ford seems to have decided that more US buyers would buy a unibody Explorer than a BOF Everest.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ford has said that the T6 Ranger is ~90% the size of an F150.
The T6 Ranger is roughly the size of a Nissan Frontier and Colorado.
It's about as wide as a Ford Escape/Kuga compact crossover, this makes it about half a foot narrower than a full-size pickup truck.
T6 Ranger and a full-size Ram pickup

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Notice that its RHD.
I remember reading an article that said global models like the Ranger or EcoSport can be modified and federalized if they are needed in the US lineup.
It looks like we'll have to wait and see if there is a demand (renewed interest?) for a mid-size pickups in the US. In the case of mid-size body-on-frame SUVs like the Everest, I guess there's very little to no chance since that segment has been directly replaced by unibody crossover SUVs.

Like the new T6 Ranger, the Everest will be made in Thailand and was developed in Australia, both RHD countries, so prototypes are usually RHD.

Similar case with the US-developed 2015 Mustang, after over half a year of spy photos of the LHD prototypes, it was only this week that we saw the first photo of a RHD version. 8 months after the LHD pre-production model made its global debut in December 2013.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts