Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Executive Hints at a Successor to the Ford GT Supercar
Automobile

Ford is working on a successor to the GT, the mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 550-hp supercar that the company built from 2005 to 2006. Or at least that’s the vibe I got from Derrick Kuzak, head of global product development, during the Detroit auto show earlier this week.

The revelation came at an intimate dinner with Kuzak, Ford president and CEO Alan Mulally, chief technology officer Paul Mascarenas, and about a dozen journalists. We had entered the lightning round of Mulally’s rigid Q&A format, meaning short questions and short answers.

My question: “Is Ford interested in a successor to the GT?”

Long pause. But it was clear that Kuzak, with pursed lips and unmoving eyes, was carefully looking for the right response. Mulally stepped in, but not with a serious answer. He regularly reminds the enthusiast media that he’s not a car guy.

“All I know is, if the ground is wet, they don’t let me drive it,” cracked the always-cheery CEO. “That vehicle levitates.”

“Well I think there are certain things that we don’t want to talk about in terms of four-year product plans, if that’s okay,” Kuzak carefully stated.

Full text at link

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
ummmmm ....Ford really needs a new GT? I prefer that Ford invest that money in a new RWD platform. Or, at least, a new RWD Mustang with IRS

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummmmm ....Ford really needs a new GT? I prefer that Ford invest that money in a new RWD platform. Or, at least, a new RWD Mustang with IRS
The new Mustang proves that a solid-axle can do what an IRS can. See the MT test between it and the M3. Jay Leno even said it handled "German-like."

·
Registered
997 Posts
How about a double shot. The Ford GT and the Lincoln Pantera. The Lincoln could have an Italian designer label. (Is Ghia still in business? Does Ford still own Ghia?) Bertone, Pininfarina and Ghia could all design bodies for the Lincoln. Coupe, sedan and mid-engine.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Oh man a new GT???? that would be incredible

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
How about a double shot. The Ford GT and the Lincoln Pantera. The Lincoln could have an Italian designer label. (Is Ghia still in business? Does Ford still own Ghia?) Bertone, Pininfarina and Ghia could all design bodies for the Lincoln. Coupe, sedan and mid-engine.
Good idea. Lincoln needs a halo car more than Ford
I cant wait for the comparation test between the Ferrari and Lamborghini and Lincoln !!!!!!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I cant wait for the comparation test between the Ferrari and Lamborghini and Lincoln !!!!!!
I have been saying for a while Lincoln needs a halo car

It would be great to see something like an Audi R8 type vehicle from Lincoln even tho that is highly unlikely

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ghia operations got completely absorbed and assimilated by Ford design. Ghia was reduced to a simple badge, and yes Ford owns the rights to it.
OK, guys make up your minds. What should a Lincoln be? A 1970s throwback with an spare tire hump in the rear deck or a Lamborghini/Ferrari competitor. LOL :p
I have been saying for a while Lincoln needs a halo car

It would be great to see something like an Audi R8 type vehicle from Lincoln even tho that is highly unlikely
That would be a credible avenue . . . but I don't think there is enough cash to do it the right way.

A car like the GT is significantly cheaper to develop than a A8 competitor . . .

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I doubt it will be a Lincoln if they want to sell it worldwide.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sobe, I agree about the spare tire design on the rear of a supercar a little odd but at this point ideas are being tossed around as to what are Lincoln's styling qualities. There are features that would only be reserved for certain vehicles. It would depend on the type of vehicle. Lincoln at this time needs to get the core products organized first then the fun stuff follows. We all want to dream what about this or that. The Lincoln sports car is in the fun stuff catagory. Yes, a halo vehicle is needed but when the time is right.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ghia operations got completely absorbed and assimilated by Ford design. Ghia was reduced to a simple badge, and yes Ford owns the rights to it.

OK, guys make up your minds. What should a Lincoln be? A 1970s throwback with an spare tire hump in the rear deck or a Lamborghini/Ferrari competitor. LOL :p

That would be a credible avenue . . . but I don't think there is enough cash to do it the right way.

A car like the GT is significantly cheaper to develop than a A8 competitor . . .
When Lincoln is ready to go world wide a car like the A8 would really help with its image a lot

I don't think they should chase Lambo but Audi is a great model to go after for sure

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

Boths! Audi have a supercar: the R8. Lincoln could have a GT based premium supercar, too

Ok, then keep the money you will invest in a superfluos Ford halo car and invest in a A8 competitor when you have a complete resources to do it....

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Sobe, I agree about the spare tire design on the rear of a supercar a little odd but at this point ideas are being tossed around as to what are Lincoln's styling qualities. There are features that would only be reserved for certain vehicles. It would depend on the type of vehicle. Lincoln at this time needs to get the core products organized first then the fun stuff follows. We all want to dream what about this or that. The Lincoln sports car is in the fun stuff catagory. Yes, a halo vehicle is needed but when the time is right.
I was half joking and half serious, but I think you got to where I was pointing to. I couldn't agree more with your post.
Boths! Audi have a supercar: the R8. Lincoln could have a GT based premium supercar, too

Ok, then keep the money you will invest in a superfluos Ford halo car and invest in a A8 competitor when you have a complete resources to do it....
That would make sense if Lincoln had its A3, A4 and A6 killers ready . . . that is what they are hard at work right now - and apparently the next MKZ is a real winner.

Building (or in this case rebuilding) a luxury car brand from the top down is great and fun when you have money coming out of your nostrils like Toyota did when they established Lexus. But we tend to forget that despite how good Ford is doing, that despite the non-stop flow is the best headlines money cannot buy Ford still has a big financial burden they have to take care of. Also Lincoln dealers after the demise of Mercury, need to move volume not $80K sedans seating on their lots with a nameplate that still needs to prove itself before the American public. Cadillac has also acknowledge this fact and mulled their own program for a Sixteen based full size RWD car in favor of a FWD based AWD XTS . . . pretty much the MKS formula in on stretched Malibu platform.

On the other hand Ford can really use, this "superfluous" halo car. Even the still "in life support" Chrysler is bragging about their next Viper. A super car with the tremendous engine power progress Ford has achieved in the last few years would cost a fraction of what a this mythical full size Lexus LS or Audi A8 fighter for which Lincoln would still have to regain street cred.

They better be dusting that Shelby GR-1 Concept.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I was half joking and half serious, but I think you got to where I was pointing to. I couldn't agree more with your post.

That would make sense if Lincoln had its A3, A4 and A6 killers ready . . . that is what they are hard at work right now - and apparently the next MKZ is a real winner.

Building (or in this case rebuilding) a luxury car brand from the top down is great and fun when you have money coming out of your nostrils like Toyota did when they established Lexus. But we tend to forget that despite how good Ford is doing, that despite the non-stop flow is the best headlines money cannot buy Ford still has a big financial burden they have to take care of. Also Lincoln dealers after the demise of Mercury, need to move volume not $80K sedans seating on their lots with a nameplate that still needs to prove itself before the American public. Cadillac has also acknowledge this fact and mulled their own program for a Sixteen based full size RWD car in favor of a FWD based AWD XTS . . . pretty much the MKS formula in on stretched Malibu platform.

On the other hand Ford can really use, this "superfluous" halo car. Even the still "in life support" Chrysler is bragging about their next Viper. A super car with the tremendous engine power progress Ford has achieved in the last few years would cost a fraction of what a this mythical full size Lexus LS or Audi A8 fighter for which Lincoln would still have to regain street cred.

They better be dusting that Shelby GR-1 Concept.

I hear too much noise about the next MK Z. Who know something abouth this car? Why are those comentaries about the wonderful new midsize Lincoln sedan?? Who know something that can tell us rigth now in this forum???? Where are you, Wingsnut??????? :D

And i'm not a Shelby GR-1 concept fan....sorry... If Ford will make a new GT supercar, must make something really new and advanced in style and design....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
If they wanted to go with a front engine supercar, they could use their ties with Aston Martin.
Ford still owns about 8-10% of AM and they still make engines for them as well right?

·
Registered
997 Posts
So does that mean Aston Martin and Lincoln could have a joint venture of some sorts? That would give Lincoln some prestige it needs to get back into the game. OR engine tuned by Aston Martin?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I know we're not talking about the same segment, F.L.
but your post made me look up the dimensions for another'target' for the MKS

imho, with all the talk about giving up on the GRwdP,
I want to see Lincoln show us the Best they can do with F-Awd on a large-ish car
ie make a no-stops, take-no-prisoners, MKS

then if it doesn't succeed, ADMIT they have to offer Rwd-based Lincolns

so
in addition to the germanic A8 (expected), I say add the similarly MKS-sized, Quattroporte (surprise!!)
not copying either one, but making an equally strong American styling statement.
NO MORE WISHY-WASHY HALF-WAY STUFF ... AMAZE US!!!

on topic
any FoMoCo supercar either Brand, I sincerely hope is too far away,
to far down the priority list to even matter

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I know we're not talking about the same segment, F.L.
but your post made me look up the dimensions for another'target' for the MKS

imho, with all the talk about giving up on the GRwdP,
I want to see Lincoln show us the Best they can do with F-Awd on a large-ish car
ie make a no-stops, take-no-prisoners, MKS

then if it doesn't succeed, ADMIT they have to offer Rwd-based Lincolns

so
in addition to the germanic A8 (expected), I say add the similarly MKS-sized, Quattroporte (surprise!!)
not copying either one, but making an equally strong American styling statement.
NO MORE WISHY-WASHY HALF-WAY STUFF ... AMAZE US!!!
(for the record
I loved the MKS when it came out - calling it "quietly glamorous"
that plainly ain't enough!)

on topic
any FoMoCo supercar either Brand, I sincerely hope is too far away,
to far down the priority list to even matter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts