Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,

Fresh out of the gate for Friday come new pics showing a camoflauged Ford Explorer Sport Trac wearing a revised front and rear-end.

Here is a link to the pics courtesy of The Winding Road.com

It looks as Ford is changing out the grille for a more aggressive and in your face appearence to try and change the overall perception of it's SUV/MAV all in an effort to help bolster the Explorer's decline until the SUV morphs into a Car-Based CUV. Here are the exact words from The Winding Rad.com:

Our friends at KGP Photography have captured this cladded-up prototype of Ford’s facelifted Explorer Sport Trac. The neither fish-nor-fowl SUV/pickup/thing looks like it will receive a modest freshening that includes a new mesh grille in place of the current truck’s chrome bar setup. Our shooter indicates that the front bumper appears to be lower, which ought to add a measure of visual aggression and perhaps point to improved crash compatibility.

Out back, the exhaust has been rerouted subtly, with the twin chrome pipes exiting straight back (the old one poked out on the left side). Engineers have camouflaged the mule’s rear bumper as well, which means that we can probably expect a subtle redesign there, too. Interestingly, Ford doesn’t appear to have touched the vehicle’s light clusters in either front or rear, a traditionally easy (but very expensive) change for refreshes.

No word yet on any potential running gear changes, but Ford is doubtlessly hoping to renew interest in its flagging Explorer franchise with this mid-cycle refresh. Will these changes be effected on its more traditional Explorer SUV stablemate? Will they be enough to revive the model’s sagging sales? We’ll have to wait and see.
Could this also possibly be a hint that SVT is going to seriously build the Adrenalin Concept that it showed a few years back?

Take a look and compare for yourself.

Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin Concept

Lets hope for the Adrenalin...although any freshening to the Sport Trac should help to differentiate it more from its SUV stablemate. All in all, look forward to seeing more!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The problem I have with this truck is its Explorer interior. I rented a 2007 Exproler and I was not impressed at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They should just make the concept, it's awesome. Isn't the sportrac based
on the old (you know, the one that rolls over) Explorer? Time for a new model.

You are right on with that comment, its not that the design is all that bad, its just the cheap materials that were used.
Typical american car (sad but true):( .

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
They should just make the concept, it's awesome. Isn't the sportrac based
on the old (you know, the one that rolls over) Explorer? Time for a new model.
No. The current Sport Trac is based in the current Explorer platform since mid 2006, when it was introduced as a 2007 vehicle. Which makes me think that it is kind of early for a mid cycle refresh, but whatever keeps it competitive is welcomed.

New Sport Trac based on the current (but hardly new) Explorer and OLD Explorer Sport Trac based on the previous generation Explorer.

And just as a clarification, the old Explorer didn't roll over unless one (or both) of the following two conditions occured:
  1. The vehicle was fitted with crappy Firestone tires, or/and;
  2. The driver was driving carelessly and disregarding the driving dynamics of a body on frame SUV with a high center of gravity
Granted, since it was, and BTW still is, the best selling SUV in the world there were and still are plenty of Explorers in the hands of inexperienced drivers. And since the crappy Firestones were Ford's tires of choice for that vehicle, both conditions concurred more than they should.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
You are right on with that comment, its not that the design is all that bad, its just the cheap materials that were used.
I have a small issue with the term "cheap materials" used to describe an interior, usually the dashpanel, which I percieve to be a subjective perception.

I fully understand how simple things like textures, colors, finish or coatings can have a big impact on the overall appearance, but I think overall style and execution has the biggest influence on our perception of what defines a nice interior. Why? Because everyone (within a respective class) uses the same materials, plastics and composites, with the same material properties and there is usually little difference in one molded piece from another. A total quality execution, involves many facets of smart mold design, quality engineering for fit/finish and quietness, attractive colors/shapes for appearance and of course designed-in good manufacturing techniques for great assembly quality. The Explorer/ST dashpanel uses some very interesting mold textures, different than anyone else, and the durability and ruggedness is as good as any other small truck on the market. To call it " cheap" just don't seem fair.

In fact, I can't think of one other truck with the ST's exclusive features, and when totalled, make it the best truck available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts