·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford F-150 Used to Develop 40 MPG Hydraulic Hybrid Powertrain
by Mike Levine
February 18, 2011
PickupTrucks.com

Ford is working with the Center for Compact and Efficient Fluid Power and Folsom Technologies to develop a prototype F-150 light-duty pickup truck propelled by a hydraulic hybrid powertrain.

Hydraulic hybrids differ considerably from gas-electric hybrids, like the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid, but the goal is the same: to improve fuel efficiency.

“We have the potential to reach 40 miles per gallon or higher with hydraulic power,” said Perry Li, co-deputy director of CCEFP and a mechanical engineering professor. “But we feel like we don’t give up anything versus an electric hybrid, and there are no batteries and nothing to recycle.”

Instead of using batteries and electric motors, a hydraulic hybrid uses components called a reservoir and accumulator. The reservoir stores fluid that’s pressurized in the accumulator, which acts as a secondary energy source in tandem with the F-150’s internal combustion engine (a 4.6-liter V-8). The pressure is converted into energy that is sent to the rear wheels via what Li calls a “power split hydraulic hybrid architecture.”

The power split system variably combines power from the F-150’s V-8 with power from the accumulator inside a special hydraulic continuously variable transmission supplied by Folsom. The CVT adds two hydraulic pump-motors connected via a set of planetary gears, similar to the Chevy Silverado’s Two-Mode hybrid architecture which houses two electric motors inside the transmission to provide gasoline-free power as needed for efficiency.

Full text at link

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a post elsewhere that the systen actually STORES the energy as compressed nitrogen gas
THEN applies that to a hydraulic system to power the drivetrain

always thought liquids were very difficult to compress
I think in this case its still in the gas state for I think it needs to be cooled as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
International / DND was working on this a few years ago for large class 6-7 trucks the HYD accumulator is charged with nitrogen and HYD oil is stored in a bladder inside compressing the nitrogen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts