Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiesta, Focus, Edge, Explorer Pace Ford’s 23 Percent Increase in February Retail Sales

• Ford, Lincoln and Mercury November sales totaled 147,338, up 24 percent versus year ago
  • Ford’s year-to-date sales totaled 1.74 million, up 21 percent; Ford’s sales growth doubled the industry average
  • Ford’s balanced portfolio of high-quality, fuel-efficient cars, utilities and trucks drove November sales gains; cars up 25 percent, utilities up 13 percent and trucks up 34 percent
  • Fusion set new full-year sales record
  • Ford announces first quarter 2011 North American production plan

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

DEARBORN, Mich., March 1, 2011 – Consumer demand for Ford’s fuel-efficient vehicles continues to grow as February retail sales increased 23 percent versus a year ago.

Ford’s total February sales, including sales to fleet customers, were 156,626, up 14 percent.

“With oil nearing $100 per barrel and gasoline prices continuing to rise, consumers’ consideration for fuel economy once again is taking top billing,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ford’s investment in new products, engines and transmissions is delivering real value to our customers, and people are rewarding us for it.”

Ford offers 12 vehicles that lead their sales segments in fuel economy, including four vehicles with EPA certified 40 mpg or higher fuel economy ratings – a claim no other full-line automaker can match.

Cars
Retail sales of Ford’s small cars – Fiesta and Focus – were more than double year-ago levels (up 114 percent). Fiesta had its best sales month ever with 6,270 vehicles and continues to gain share in its market segment. Focus retail sales were 43 percent higher than a year ago. The all-new Focus will arrive in Ford dealer showrooms this spring.

Ford Fusion set a new monthly sales record with total sales of 23,111, up 40 percent versus a year ago.

Retail sales also were higher for the Ford Mustang (up 22 percent) and the Lincoln MKZ midsize sedan (up 17 percent).

Utilities
Sales of Ford’s utility vehicles were paced by the all-new Ford Explorer. Explorer retail sales were up 268 percent. For the second straight month, the new Explorer is the fastest-turning vehicle in the Ford showroom.

Retail sales also were higher for the Ford Escape (up 34 percent), Edge (up 18 percent) and Lincoln MKX (up 13 percent). Escape set a February record with total sales of 18,005 (up 19 percent).

Trucks
Strong sales to commercial fleet customers and higher sales to retail customers powered Ford truck sales growth in February. Sales of Ford’s F-Series truck totaled 37,549, up 14 percent versus a year ago.

Ford’s commercial vehicles also posted strong year-to-year increases. Econoline sales totaled 9,723 (up 22 percent) and Transit Connect sales were 2,152 (up 61 percent).

Year-to-date sales
In the first two months of 2011, Ford sales totaled 283,943, up 14 percent versus the same period a year ago. Retail sales were up 25 percent with the strongest growth in the East (where retail sales were up 45 percent) and California (where retail sales were up 43 percent).

“Ford’s fuel-efficient, high-quality vehicles are winning customers nationwide, but the strongest growth is in the ‘smile’ region of the country,” said Czubay. “Early consumer reactions indicate the new Focus will drive more growth in these areas.”

North American production
In the second quarter, Ford plans to build 710,000 vehicles, up 57,000 vehicles (9 percent) compared with the second quarter of 2010. In the first quarter, Ford plans to build 650,000 vehicles, unchanged from the previous forecast.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Heroes:

Fiesta
Fusion
Crown Victoria
Escape
Explorer

Villains:

MK S
MK T
Mustang

Plan to fix this:

1.- Urgent redone of the MK S
2.- 4 cyl engine, with ecoboost, for the Mustang, in a new base and cheaper version of the pony car
3.- Consider a version of the Explorer for Lincoln ,to replace the MK T
4.- Taurus refresh. Consider a base trim with 4 cyl engine (ecoboost?), cheaper

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to learn to see past the numbers. Calling the Mustang a villain is terribly misguided to say the least. The three cars in your villains list are making good money for Ford, in the case of the Mustang a real bucket load.

Thankfully the days in which Ford increased volumes just for the sake of it are gone, hopefully for good.

Did you see the announcement that Ford wasn't going to rack up incentives. Let Toyota and GM throw their money out of the window, Ford is in the business of many money, not of losing it anymore.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And quarterly results will bear this out. Ford will make as much or more money than GM, while having a huge debt disadvantage, and while selling alot less units.

Ford is basing their business model on being sustainable for the long term. GM is still chasing quarterly results.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
You need to learn to see past the numbers. Calling the Mustang a villain is terribly misguided to say the least. The three cars in your villains list are making good money for Ford, in the case of the Mustang a real bucket load.

Thankfully the days in which Ford increased volumes just for the sake of it are gone, hopefully for good.

Did you see the announcement that Ford wasn't going to rack up incentives. Let Toyota and GM throw their money out of the window, Ford is in the business of many money, not of losing it anymore.
I understand you, and i prefer profits to volume. But, Lincoln need to sell more cars. Why the MK S is not selling in good numbers? Because the customers dont want it! Why the customers dont want it? Because the car has something wrong and/or the brand and the dealer network have something wrong.

Ford need to identificate what is wrong with Lincoln rigth now and fix it. Is better to sell 3000 MK S at a good price , than sell only 600 units a month at the same good price. More volume at rigth price=more profits.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand you, and i prefer profits to volume. But, Lincoln need to sell more cars. Why the MK S is not selling in good numbers? Because the customers dont want it! Why the customers dont want it? Because the car has something wrong and/or the brand and the dealer network have something wrong.

Ford need to identificate what is wrong with Lincoln rigth now and fix it. Is better to sell 3000 MK S at a good price , than sell only 600 units a month at the same good price. More volume at rigth price=more profits.
I understand and agree with you, Lincoln needs help. The Mustang though, is a whole different story.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

As we have said before changes do not happen overnight ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Couple of things - Government Motors' sales figures are skewed - they were going against a very week February 2010 (which was up only 11% over February 2009 which was down 10% over Feb 2008). Ford was going against a very strong comp in Feb 2010 sales (up 43% over 2009).

Fusion sales are really taking off and that Explorer is killing it - that nimrod Nick here had the nerve to compare the Explorer to a Traverse (well, the Explorer outsold the Traverse this month!). Ford will really take off in April once the new Focus is in full force and the Fiesta is hitting its stride now - just in time for the $4 per gallon gasoline.

Mustang sales were likely hurt as Chevrolet was throwing dollars around on the Shamaro- same thing with the Chevrolet Silverdodo that had $7k being thrown its way to move it.

Yes, there will be **** to pay for this Government Motors' typical gimmick fire sale approach. But Government Motors doesn't have to worry - it has $14 billion in carryover losses from a company that no longer exists and applied to a company that is legally not related in any way to the old GM. So Government Motors will bank on increased production to give it a profitability base (profit is booked on production) and it won't be until subsequent quarters that the cost of sales starts to catch up with the idiots over at Obama Motors.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know guys at GMI are bragging about how great GM did compared to Ford.
Fortunately, FIN is devoid of the fanboyism that plagues GMI and all the members here are completely objective.

The Fiesta really surprised me this month, it appears to be gaining traction just now, as the aggressive advertising is wearing off. And I don´t think the oil market has much to do with it, around here anyway it was just the last few days of February that gas prices started really increasing. Fusion, also doing very well. I´m more inclined to optimistic this month about the Explorer since the 2010 vehicles should be pretty well cleared out by now (and its numbers would have been even better if it weren´t for the engine part shortage in January).

The Taurus is still selling in baffling low numbers and Lincoln obviously didn´t do well but that was expected, same with the Focus.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know guys at GMI are bragging about how great GM did compared to Ford.

Meh let them. I guarantee even with GM selling more vehicles they don't make the profit that FORD does. Just look at the total vehicles sold in 2010 for FORD and GM then look at their total 2010 profit numbers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Biggest month yet for the Fiesta?? Results seem solid to me. Im perplexed as to why Mustang sales are so far down. I dont understand why. Winter maybe?? That wont hold much water though since the Camaro sold over 6K units. Even though the Camaro is new it does not appeal to me like the Mustang but maybe Im blind and a fan boy. I cant figure this one out.

I think Ford is chasing profits and Gm is chasing sales.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Fusion outsold Accord and is not far from Camry. That is progress. Albeit with some incentives added.
I bet that the Focus will outsell it within a year. ****, if GM can sell over 18 K of those boring cruze's, then Focus will easily top that.

Poor, poor Lincoln.
A lot can happen in a year though. I see no shame in throwing a few spiffs on those models either. At least the older onese. MKS dropped like a rock, and I don't know why. It is a fine automobile. MKT is also the best car in it's segment, based on value. A few styling tweaks can really help it as well.

Still, moving forward, even after a great month last year, is good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Of course Cadillac outsold Lincoln by a huge margin. You can get an AWD CTS for $379 a month on a lease, plus they are pulling forward existing leasees by paying off up to 4 payments on their existing leases, plus they are giving bonus money on GM card holders, of up to an additional $2-3000 top-off. Thus, they can get into the car with nothing out of their pocket, and 4 months before their lease was up.

I can't buy an AWD Fusion for that.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course Cadillac outsold Lincoln by a huge margin. You can get an AWD CTS for $379 a month on a lease, plus they are pulling forward existing leasees by paying off up to 4 payments on their existing leases, plus they are giving bonus money on GM card holders, of up to an additional $2-3000 top-off. Thus, they can get into the car with nothing out of their pocket, and 4 months before their lease was up.

I can't buy an AWD Fusion for that.
That is exactly right . . .

·
Registered
401 Posts
I bet that the Focus will outsell it within a year. ****, if GM can sell over 18 K of those boring cruze's, then Focus will easily top that.
I can't wait to see the new Focus beats the generic Korean Cruze .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts