·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Says Focus Car Sales to Push European Plant to Full Capacity in 2011
Bloomberg

By Cornelius Rahn
December 6, 2010

Ford Motor Co. expects to sell enough Focus compact cars in Europe to reach full capacity next year at a German factory making the new version of the model, helping the automaker stem a decline in market share in the region.

Output of the Focus, which went into production today at a plant in Saarlouis, will probably reach the daily maximum of 1,850 cars by the end of January, Bernhard Mattes, who runs Ford’s German factories, said in a telephone interview. The car will go on sale as early as March in Germany and be available in other major European markets by the second quarter, he said.

The third generation of the Focus, to be offered worldwide, will include driver aids such as parking- and lane-assistance software. Ten-month sales of the current Focus, Ford’s second- best selling model in the region, slid 14 percent to 220,400 in 19 European countries. The Dearborn, Michigan-based company said Nov. 15 it expects 2010 European sales industrywide to slump to as little as 14 million vehicles.

“We decided to offer a worldwide version because the segment for small, compact cars is bound to grow significantly in the coming years around the globe,” Mattes said. “This is a very important product for the Saarlouis plant because it strengthens the development center and creates jobs.”

The car will start at $16,995 in the U.S., Ford said in October.

Full text at the link

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Since the article is about the German plant reaching capacity, I can change the title for you if you would like? Reason is, Focus is also produced in Spain, so its not all of Europe...yet.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the article is about the German plant reaching capacity, I can change the title for you if you would like? Reason is, Focus is also produced in Spain, so its not all of Europe...yet.
I wouldn't editorialize, it is exactly the way Bloomberg published it. I usually only change the titles when they are too long.

The way the Fiesta is selling I am surprised they have capacity for the Focus in Valencia.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I wouldn't editorialize, it is exactly the way Bloomberg published it. I usually only change the titles when they are too long.

The way the Fiesta is selling I am surprised they have capacity for the Focus in Valencia.
Valencia production I understand begins in February/March (some where in there). Remember Valencia also has the C-Max/Grand C-Max as well (which for the countries where it has launched, has sold very well so far). C-Max had to move from Germany, for I am betting labor costs.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I forgot to say this. Valencia will also be losing some Fiesta production because the Fiesta German plant is losing the Fusion. Which will of course be replaced by the B-max and be built in Romania.

Big shifts are coming in Europe within the next 12 months thats for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Valencia production I understand begins in February/March (some where in there). Remember Valencia also has the C-Max/Grand C-Max as well (which for the countries where it has launched, has sold very well so far). C-Max had to move from Germany, for I am betting labor costs.
plus reducing shipping costs for Cmax' to deliver USA

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
New Focus will not be sourced from Valencia as far as I have read. Please provide source for your info re Feb/March assembly.

From Ford EU media pages - "Saarlouis Assembly Plant in the Saarland region of Germany, which celebrates its 40
th anniversary this year, will be the single-source for production of the all-new Focus in Western Europe

Fiesta is also assembled at the Cologne Plant as well as Valencia, that said many Fiesta customers have had long waits for their ordered cars.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Focus will not be sourced from Valencia as far as I have read. Please provide source for your info re Feb/March assembly.

From Ford EU media pages - "Saarlouis Assembly Plant in the Saarland region of Germany, which celebrates its 40
th anniversary this year, will be the single-source for production of the all-new Focus in Western Europe

Fiesta is also assembled at the Cologne Plant as well as Valencia, that said many Fiesta customers have had long waits for their ordered cars.
That is my understanding too.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

I guess I was wrong, thought it would continue at both.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
As I understand the current Focus production will still run at Valencia and St.Petersburg Russia until June 2011. With St.Petersburg change over to the new Focus in June 11, and ending at Valencia.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
As I understand the current Focus production will still run at Valencia and St.Petersburg Russia until June 2011. With St.Petersburg change over to the new Focus in June 11, and ending at Valencia.
What about the other Russian plant that produces the Focus? I know it's very small.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What about the other Russian plant that produces the Focus? I know it's very small.
The only assembly plant in Russia I am aware of building Focus and Mondeo is Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly, just 7km from St.Petersburg Russia

Ford of Europe Manufacturing Facilities: Body & Assembly Plants Body & Assembly Plants Plant / ct
Cologne Body & Assembly Cologne Body & Assembly (Germany) 4,405 employees Fiesta, Fusion
Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly Leningrad Region / St. Petersburg (Russia) 2,665 employees Focus, Mondeo
Ford Otosan Assembly Ford Otosan Assembly (Joint Venture), (Turkey) 7,534 employees Transit, Transit Connect
Genk Body & Assembly Genk Body & Assembly (Belgium) 4,731 employees Mondeo, S-MAX, Galaxy
Saarlouis Body & Assembly Saarlouis Body & Assembly (Germany) 6,524 employees Focus, Focus ST, Kuga
Southampton Body & Assembly Southampton Body & Assembly (United Kingdom) 1,120 employees Transit Valencia Body & Assembly
Valencia Body & Assembly (Spain) 6,180 employees Fiesta, Focus. C-Max/Grand C-Max
Craio Craiovavavava (Romania) 3,900 employees Ford acquired legal ownership on March 21, 2008 Transit Connect as of September 2009
http://www.fordmedia.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FoE_FactSheet_November2010.pdf
Some info such as employyee #s has not been updated

The monument to the city's founder, Duke, VA Vsevolozhskaya

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
The only assembly plant in Russia I am aware of building Focus and Mondeo is Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly, just 7km from St.Petersburg Russia

Ford of Europe Manufacturing Facilities: Body & Assembly Plants Body & Assembly Plants Plant / ct
Cologne Body & Assembly Cologne Body & Assembly (Germany) 4,405 employees Fiesta, Fusion
Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly Leningrad Region / St. Petersburg (Russia) 2,665 employees Focus, Mondeo
Ford Otosan Assembly Ford Otosan Assembly (Joint Venture), (Turkey) 7,534 employees Transit, Transit Connect
Genk Body & Assembly Genk Body & Assembly (Belgium) 4,731 employees Mondeo, S-MAX, Galaxy
Saarlouis Body & Assembly Saarlouis Body & Assembly (Germany) 6,524 employees Focus, Focus ST, Kuga
Southampton Body & Assembly Southampton Body & Assembly (United Kingdom) 1,120 employees Transit Valencia Body & Assembly
Valencia Body & Assembly (Spain) 6,180 employees Fiesta, Focus. C-Max/Grand C-Max
Craio Craiovavavava (Romania) 3,900 employees Ford acquired legal ownership on March 21, 2008 Transit Connect as of September 2009
http://www.fordmedia.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FoE_FactSheet_November2010.pdf
Some info such as employyee #s has not been updated

The monument to the city's founder, Duke, VA Vsevolozhskaya
Had to do a little research myself but got this:

Ford Vsevolozhsk Assembly
St. Petersburg
Total employment: 2,665
Products: Ford Focus
Year opened: 2002
Legal entity: FOE
Plant size (sq ft): 387,360
Site size: 64,246 acres

St. Petersburg Assembly