Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Focus RS hot hatch currently being developed by Ford will reach the North American market unlike the previous generation model it replaces.

Rather than offering the same Focus both here and in Europe, Ford chose to sell a refreshed version of the first generation to North Americans as it sold a second generation separately in Europe. In that market, Ford offered the red-hot RS variant that never made it to U.S. showrooms but last week AutoGuide.com spied Ford testing the new RS at the Nurburgring. Now reports suggest that Ford plans to sell its new hot hatch to U.S. customers in limited quantity.

It is supposed to arrive for the 2016.5 model year with the company’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder making over 300 hp, TTAC reported citing sources inside the company.
To read this complete story, Ford Focus RS Heading to U.S. visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I hope we see this new performance oriented AWD system in Lincolns before the RS comes here in two years.
The way Ford has been debuting tech lately besides a panoramic glass roof and CCD it will debut first on a Ford then trickle up to Lincoln.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"UPDATE: We have additional details about the upcoming 2016 Focus RS from another trusted source, including power output, so let's start with that.

With the Mustang GT's V8 holding down a 435 hp spot at the top of the Ford performance pecking order (for now, until the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 emerges), the Focus RS is free to turn up the horsepower wick. Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back.

To put the power down, Ford will employ an entirely new AWD system intended for high-output applications. It's not the same system employed on the Fusion, Escape, and MKZ. The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.

That means the Focus RS might have some high-performance AWD company in Ford's lineup soon."

- Road & Track

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford is developing kick ass FWD based AWD systems for higher torque and that integrate torque vectoring, TC, and other technologies that improve traction, steering, handling, etc. With complete variable viscous biasing and control, eliminating what few benefits exist with RWD biased systems. Imagine 4 wheel drifting with an inward pull instead of outward push. That is one benefit. How about rear biased control. Many more coming. And coming in a big way on most Ford and Lincoln vehicles in performance models or similar.

And no I don’t think Ford should rob their high volume mainstream customers of this product, just so Lincoln can have it exclusively first for a few months – in low volume.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ford is developing kick ass FWD based AWD systems for higher torque and that integrate torque vectoring, TC, and other technologies that improve traction, steering, handling, etc. With complete variable viscous biasing and control, eliminating what few benefits exist with RWD biased systems. Imagine 4 wheel drifting with an inward pull instead of outward push. That is one benefit. How about rear biased control. Many more coming. And coming in a big way on most Ford and Lincoln vehicles in performance models or similar.

And no I don’t think Ford should rob their high volume mainstream customers of this product, just so Lincoln can have it exclusively first for a few months – in low volume.
So then the last thing they need to overcome is the nose heavy imbalance inherent in transverse engine vehicles... and the stubby ass hoods that come with it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Who said that? The RS won't be here in two years. I hope this AWD system debuts in a "Red Label" MKZ, or any performance oriented Lincoln before then. Lincoln needs this ASAP, they don't need to wait for the RS.

So then the last thing they need to overcome is the nose heavy imbalance inherent in transverse engine vehicles... and the stubby ass hoods that come with it!
Yep, you're always going to have to try to overcome the weight balance/transfer disadvantage in a FWD based platform. Audi and Volvo give me hope that it is possible for Lincoln to work magic, but it's up to Lincoln to deliver.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford denies nothing about 2016 Focus RS, says it's "doable" - Road&Track
Two independent sources, plus a Ford non-denial, make us more confident than ever.

By Alex Kierstein August 27, 2014

[imgalign=left]http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/sgt.jpg[/imgalign]...In a statement to Car and Driver, an unnamed spokesperson said:

“None of what is being reported is confirmed, including the part about the RS coming to America. That said, everything in the [report] references existing stuff and is certainly doable. If you look at what we can do with the Escape, which is a C-platform vehicle, you can see these things are not beyond the realm of possibility.”

Because of the way car-company PR works—with a strict timeline of what information can be released or confirmed, and when—this is as much as anyone at Ford can say on the record. Or, partially on the record, as the statement was anonymous. Being spot-on with information doesn't make it shake it loose any earlier.

As non-denials go, though, it's quite telling. We knew our two independent inside sources were giving us good information, but hearing Ford say, essentially, that everything we've reported is completely "doable" (rather than dismissing it as baseless speculation) leaves them with an out when the wraps come off the production Focus RS.

Let's be completely clear about one thing: despite two independent sources saying that the next Focus RS will likely go on sale in the United States, that decision will remain up in the air within Ford's leadership until more specifics of the car are finalized...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Not sure how having a longer hood would help the compact Focus, but, whatever.
I wasn't clear, I was thinking in terms of larger Lincolns, not compact Fords. You've hinted the upcoming MKS will look somewhat similar to the Jag XJ which would look horrible with FWD proportions up front.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The business case has been made, the next RS will be eating North American asphalt in the near future.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I wasn't clear, I was thinking in terms of larger Lincolns, not compact Fords. You've hinted the upcoming MKS will look somewhat similar to the Jag XJ which would look horrible with FWD proportions up front.
The coming MKS, looks fabulous.
And packaged with Black Label and/or a performance model, it will be fabulous.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts