Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Posts Best U.S. December Sales Results since 2005; Ford Once Again Best-Selling Brand and Best-Selling Vehicle - Media.Ford.Com

•Ford Motor Company posts best U.S. December sales results since 2005, with 220,671vehicles sold; Ford remains America’s best-selling vehicle brand for fifth straight year
•Escape has best-ever December performance and record sales for the year; full-year Explorer sales best since 2005
•Fusion hits full-year sales record, exceeding 300,000; Mustang achieves best December performance since 2006
•F-Series delivers 74,355 sales in December and remains America’s best-selling truck for the 38th straight year and best-selling vehicle for the 33rd straight year
•Transit van has its best monthly performance since its introduction earlier in the year, with 10,030 sales; Transit Connect has its best sales month ever, with 5,012 vehicles sold
•Lincoln has its best December sales results since 2009, best annual results since 2008

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 5, 2015 – Ford continues as America’s best-selling vehicle brand for the fifth consecutive year and the F-Series remains the best-selling vehicle for the 33rd straight year and best-selling truck for the 38th year in row as 2014 U.S. sales results are tallied.

Ford Motor Company’s U.S. sales totaled 2,480,942 vehicles in 2014, flat versus a year ago, primarily due to the all-new F-150 changeover and a planned 15 percent reduction in daily rental sales.

Sales totaled 220,671 vehicles in December, up 1 percent from a year ago and the company’s best December sales since 2005.

“Fusion and Escape posted record years, and our newest products – including Mustang and Transit and Lincolns – are attracting strong customer demand,” said John Felice, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Demand for the all-new F-150 also is very high, and it now is the fastest-turning vehicle in Ford showrooms, averaging just five days on dealer lots in December.”

F-Series sales were 74,355 vehicles in December and 753,851 vehicles for all of 2014.

Escape sales increased 5 percent in December versus a year ago – totaling 25,603 vehicles – for its best-ever December performance and record full-year sales of 306,212 vehicles. Fusion also achieved record performance for the year, with sales of 306,860 cars.

Explorer sales totaled 16,632 vehicles in December, up 6 percent from a year ago, making 2014 Explorer’s best sales performance since 2005, with 189,339 utilities sold.

Transit had a breakout month in December, with sales of 10,030 vans. This represents the vehicle’s best month since its June launch. Transit Connect produced its best sales month ever, with 5,012 sales, a 32 percent increase from a year ago. 2014 was a record year for Transit Connect with sales of 43,210 vans.

Sales of the all-new Mustang continue climbing, with December sales of 9,511 vehicles, a 66 percent increase from a year ago. With sales increases coming in all regions of the country, Mustang posted its best December sales since 2006.

Lincoln sales of 9,690 vehicles were up 21 percent versus last December for the brand’s best December results since 2009. For the full year, Lincoln sales were up 16 percent, with 94,474 vehicles sold, making it Lincoln’s best year since 2008. MKC reached its best monthly sales since launch, with 2,310 sold. Navigator sales increased 90 percent in December, with 1,792 utilities sold.

Tables (.pdf)
or
< click
also [email protected] for Ford AND GM charts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Ford Posts Best U.S. December Sales Results since 2005; Ford Once Again Best-Sell

F-150 ended on high note, wonder how much was new model versus old one. Lincoln will definitely break the 100 thousand barrier next year. MKC still can't get over the 3000 threshold for some reason.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Re: Ford Posts Best U.S. December Sales Results since 2005; Ford Once Again Best-Sell

Not bad, considering the shift in so many key volume products is still happening. Truck is still spinning its wheels a bit, but New Edge, Explorer and Focus in coming months should really pump up the volumes.

Two things. Nice to see Lincoln slow and steady with gains and how about that Navigator at nearly doubling sales. I do believe I made that prediction not long ago. To the few who condemned me for saying it, how do you like me now!!!

And 2nd, I wonder if Mustang outsold Camaro for the year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wings, you were right on the Navigator, it's sales have increased every month since the refresh, hopefully it can keep it up in the New Year. If it can average close to 1500 sales per month this year, it will be the highest since 2007 when it sold 24,000+.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

GM has lots of fleet sales success, especially rentals, with their large SUV’s, and although that is all fine and good, the Navigator offers barely any. So when sales numbers get compared to either the GMC, Escargot or bot, it is not quite accurate to do so. Regardless, Lincoln now looks brilliant, IMO, by not letting it sit untouched while they prepare all new.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ford's numbers look good across the board especially the new models, once production get's up an running to full capacity, I see the numbers increasing even more. What's impressive is Ford total sales only dropped .5% for the year compared to 2013 with the F-150 dropping 1.3% for the changeover and Ford dropping fleet sales by 15% for the year, not bad.

Mustang - 82,635
Camaro - 86,297

F150 -753,851
Silverado/Sierra - 741,588

MKZ up 5.1% for the year for a total of 34,009 and MKC at 13,007 total since May.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

...and a planned 15 percent reduction in daily rental sales
The best news in the entire article! Daily rentals take a toll on resale value which takes a toll on lease residuals which in turn reduces the attractiveness of leasing their products. If they were to continue the trend of holding steady on overall sales while reducing daily rentals and increasing retail sales for a few more years I would be all for it!!

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

Look at the Transit! Was worried there for awhile that it would never replace the volume of the E-Series but it has.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I remember some people one here saying that the Navigator refresh would not significantly affect sales. I guess those people were wrong.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Not bad, considering the shift in so many key volume products is still happening. Truck is still spinning its wheels a bit, but New Edge, Explorer and Focus in coming months should really pump up the volumes.

Two things. Nice to see Lincoln slow and steady with gains and how about that Navigator at nearly doubling sales. I do believe I made that prediction not long ago. To the few who condemned me for saying it, how do you like me now!!!
You also predicted escalade losing sales but that's not the case at all. It's consistently doubled+ sales per month over previous generation. 3700 December. Plus high ATP's. I don't like big SUVs but those profits will benefit the performance/luxury cars I covet! :)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Look at the Transit! Was worried there for awhile that it would never replace the volume of the E-Series but it has.
Yep and between the E-Series and Transit, sales are up 30+% about 3k for the year, the same with Transit Connect. I see lots of the new Transit Connect vehicles out in commercial use, but have not seen a Transit on the road yet.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

I remember some people one here saying that the Navigator refresh would not significantly affect sales. I guess those people were wrong.
If Navigator can hold at around 1,200 monthly sales it will do it's job with just about doubling sales while making the way for the All New Aluminum Navigator.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Transit is doing great, I've also seen plenty around recently.

It's strange that MKZ sales were down for the month, they are giving them away right now with cheap leases and lots of incentives ($3K+), although that may be nothing new. I was expecting more out of MKC since lease pricing improved significantly in December, although incentives are pretty light.

Taurus sank big-time in 2014, as did PI sales. Makes you wonder if Ford should just focus on the UI which did big business for the year . Edge and MKX sale are shrinking now that production has ceased (MKX hiatus will hurt Lincoln next year). Lincoln's sales gains are pretty small for the year considering their new volume products are in place, definitely not as healthy as I was expecting since MKZ sales softened. MKC probably needs another year before it gets enough customers (and some MKX refugees). Navigator doing well, lots of pent-up demand, it'll be interesting to see if that's sustainable. Expedition and Navigator growth and volume still minuscule next to what GM saw for the same period.

Ford has many strugglers in 2014 with updates launching in 2015, but it takes a good 6-months for those to ramp up so 2015 may still be a rocky year for growth at both Lincoln and Ford.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

You also predicted escalade losing sales but that's not the case at all. It's consistently doubled+ sales per month over previous generation. 3700 December. Plus high ATP's. I don't like big SUVs but those profits will benefit the performance/luxury cars I covet! :)
Indeed, they have seen better sales. Pent up demand?
Still nice to see Navi trending better, and I bet if we considered fleet, things would look better yet. For Navi.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Transit is doing great, I've also seen plenty around recently.

It's strange that MKZ sales were down for the month, they are giving them away right now with cheap leases and lots of incentives ($3K+), although that may be nothing new. I was expecting more out of MKC since lease pricing improved significantly in December, although incentives are pretty light.

Taurus sank big-time in 2014, as did PI sales. Makes you wonder if Ford should just focus on the UI which did big business for the year . Edge and MKX sale are shrinking now that production has ceased (MKX hiatus will hurt Lincoln next year). Lincoln's sales gains are pretty small for the year considering their new volume products are in place, definitely not as healthy as I was expecting since MKZ sales softened. MKC probably needs another year before it gets enough customers (and some MKX refugees). Navigator doing well, lots of pent-up demand, it'll be interesting to see if that's sustainable. Expedition and Navigator growth and volume still minuscule next to what GM saw for the same period.

Ford has many strugglers in 2014 with updates launching in 2015, but it takes a good 6-months for those to ramp up so 2015 may still be a rocky year for growth at both Lincoln and Ford.
I think the MKZ is suffering from being a 'between' vehicle. It's not a 3-Series/C-Class competitor, and not a 5-Series/E-Class competitor. It needs to go smaller to compete with one segment or another. Being in the middle just confuses the consumer.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

I'm very interested and impressed with Navigator sales. At it's lowest point last summer it was selling at below 20% Escalade volume... for the past few months it has been closer to 50%. With luck we haven't seen the Navigator climb reach its peak yet; how great would it be if it cracked 2000 units per month! That said, if it does, I expect MKC to climb to 4000!

Even if it doesn't, I'm not all that worried about Lincoln, it's a nearly forgotten brand that was off the radar, so even if it has a very strong entry in a hot segment, it simply isn't an automatic go-to for many people. I really really really feel that their slow but sure climb can continue for the MKC, and will be duplicated by all new Lincoln entries.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

I think the MKZ is suffering from being a 'between' vehicle. It's not a 3-Series/C-Class competitor, and not a 5-Series/E-Class competitor. It needs to go smaller to compete with one segment or another. Being in the middle just confuses the consumer.
I just don't get the segment buster argument. Do we think people are incapable of purchasing a vehicle sized outside of the given norms? Are there not people who want more than a 3/C but less than a 5/E? People who want a 5/E but can only afford a 3/C but need more car? I don't think the MKZ is suffering from being between the 3/C and 5/E as there aren't going to be much in the way of cross shopping of the four German cars and the Lincoln.

At this point Lincoln is not marketing towards current BMW/Mercedes/Audi drivers as much as trying to position themselves in people's minds as a step up from the norm. From that perspective the size of the MKZ is right as current Camry/Accord/Sonata/Fusion buyers are unlikely to want less, and may not need more. The MKZ is trying to offer a step up in luxury while not in physical size.

The Lincoln dealership experience has by all accounts stepped up their game to premium level expectations, now they just await the cars to match.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Anyone know what the highest single month for F-series sales ever is? I know they've cracked 80,000 units. 90,000? Anywhere near 100,000?

Does anyone have international Ford numbers for 2014? Specifically Mustang? And Lincoln in China? Really curious to know how these are doing!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Anyone know what the highest single month for F-150 sales ever is? I know they've cracked 80,000 units. 90,000? Anywhere near 100,000?

Does anyone have international Ford numbers for 2014? Specifically Mustang? And Lincoln in China? Really curious to know how these are doing!
You're talking F-series in total, not F-150 I'm guessing. I don't think the F-150 has cracked anywhere near 80k on it's own in a single month.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts