Ford Inside News banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,767 Posts
With a high mounted grill like that the plate/license plate should be at the bottom of the grill like on the new 2015 Focus ST. The front license plate is placed at the same level as the front bumper (the blocked off area).

The current Focus ST's main grill is mounted lower, so the bumper ended up right in the middle of the opening, which explains why the license plate was right at the center of the grill (the only blocked off are that wouldn't affect cooling)..

· Registered
74 Posts
It's never gonna happen... Don't get me wrong, if Ford built it, I would buy it. But even though all the parts already exist to build it and even though it would be a great competitor to the Buick Regal GS and Acura TLX in addition to being an affordable version of an Audi A4, I believe Ford just isn't interested in building something like this. Prove me wrong Ford. Until then, nothing to see here, move along...

· Premium Member
11,023 Posts
It's never gonna happen... Don't get me wrong, if Ford built it, I would buy it. But even though all the parts already exist to build it and even though it would be a great competitor to the Buick Regal GS and Acura TLX in addition to being an affordable version of an Audi A4, I believe Ford just isn't interested in building something like this. Prove me wrong Ford. Until then, nothing to see here, move along...
Soooo, you doubt it simply because you have not seen it yet.

LOL

Ford just introduced the Edge Sport with a V6 turbo, something that never fit before. Simple logic suggests that they would also add it to the Fusion on which the Edge is based.

· Registered
74 Posts
Soooo, you doubt it simply because you have not seen it yet.

LOL

Ford just introduced the Edge Sport with a V6 turbo, something that never fit before. Simple logic suggests that they would also add it to the Fusion on which the Edge is based.
NOBODY has seen or heard about it yet. That's the point..."LOL". This rendering is from Auto Projecoes, not Ford. Like I said. If Ford builds it, I'll buy it. And I think a lot of other people will too. I suppose the new 2.7T would fit and it would be great if it were an option but Ford doesn't even need to go that radical. They could put a more powerful version of the new 2.3T (maybe 320 hp and 330tq) with the next 9 speed manumatic and a Haldex (or equivalent) awd system that could send up to 90 or 100% of power to the rear wheels. Ford could very easily do this and who know's, maybe (and hopefully) they will one day. The other problem is, it can't be a more appealing car than the MKZ for less money as it might steal sales away from struggling Lincoln. If I were a betting man, I would bet that we're not going to see this in the near future unfortunately. If you want to hold your breath waiting on it, be my guest but I'm not turning blue over it. I really hope I'm wrong because I do want the car.

· Premium Member
11,023 Posts
NOBODY has seen or heard about it yet. That's the point..."LOL". This rendering is from Auto Projecoes, not Ford. Like I said. If Ford builds it, I'll buy it. And I think a lot of other people will too. I suppose the new 2.7T would fit and it would be great if it were an option but Ford doesn't even need to go that radical. They could put a more powerful version of the new 2.3T (maybe 320 hp and 330tq) with the next 9 speed manumatic and a Haldex (or equivalent) awd system that could send up to 90 or 100% of power to the rear wheels. Ford could very easily do this and who know's, maybe (and hopefully) they will one day. The other problem is, it can't be a more appealing car than the MKZ for less money as it might steal sales away from struggling Lincoln. If I were a betting man, I would bet that we're not going to see this in the near future unfortunately. If you want to hold your breath waiting on it, be my guest but I'm not turning blue over it. I really hope I'm wrong because I do want the car.
I was obviously referring to the potential for an ST, not confirming this photochop.

The 2.7L GTDI would not be radical for a performance Fusion. It would be perfect actually, and the only thing stopping them from offering more performance in the past, was that they simply did not have anything that would fit. Not worthy of an ST anyway.

They now have an engine that fits.
Do you still doubt it?

· Premium Member
7,931 Posts

2007 Ford Mondeo ST 3.0L V6

· Registered
1,674 Posts
I smell some ST news coming up in the fall, maybe at Frankfurt or Paris Auto Shows or it could be the LA show :thumb:

· Registered
74 Posts
I was obviously referring to the potential for an ST, not confirming this photochop.

The 2.7L GTDI would not be radical for a performance Fusion. It would be perfect actually, and the only thing stopping them from offering more performance in the past, was that they simply did not have anything that would fit. Not worthy of an ST anyway.

Do you still doubt it?
I agree 100% on the potential for a Fusion ST or RS or whatever they want to call it. And I've been mentioning that Ford should build it on this site and other cars sites. Again, personally I think it would sell well.

I never doubted that the 2.7T would fit in the bay of the Fusion because I don't know about the dimensions, mounting points etc... I would guess that it would fit just fine in the Fusion since it's a small 6 cyl and even if Ford did have to modify a couple of things to make it fit, I don't think it would be anything extensive at all. Radical may have been a poor choice of words on my part. By radical I meant different, as in 4cyl vs 6 cyl. And yes, the 2.7T would be great in the Fusion. Especially with the next 9 speed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying that a Fusion ST is a bad idea. I'm just saying that I don't think they're going to do a new one in the USA. At least not for a while. I know they've done ST versions of Mondeos and sport versions of past Fusions but I don't think they'll do it with this one. Why? Someone who works in Ford who makes these decisions would know better than me as I don't work for Ford but like I said earlier, I think it would take sales away from the MKZ and right now that's the last thing Lincoln needs right now is to lose sales. Maybe Lincoln could use the 2.7T and Ford could use the 2.3T so Lincoln could keep some exclusivity with the MKZ. That could mean a performance version of the MKZ then. I think that would be pretty cool too but would potential MKZ customers currently go for that? Would they pay extra for that? I think it would be a good idea for Lincoln to have a performance line, like Caddy's V series. But I don't think they're ready yet (maybe in a couple of years?) and that might be a discussion for a different day.

· Premium Member
11,023 Posts
John,
as someone who drives a Fusion Sport today with the 3.5L engine in the lighter previous gen chassis, I can tell you that a 2.3L option would not really be a significant improvement in performance. Only modestly. Thus, if they are going to call it an ST, it needs to step it up more and a 2.7L GTDI is the solution. Now, if you are worried about the MKZ effect on sales, then maybe you need to know that MKZ will offer a performance model as well.

· Premium Member
7,931 Posts

Do you still doubt it?
There are a couple Fusion Sport models in my neighborhood now. Those models will be at minimum 4 years old next year, and it's time for Ford to offer a replacement.

Fusion Sport first offered a 3.0L V6 at 240hp, then a 263hp 3.5l V6 for 2011. Which means the next Fusion Sport or ST should offer the 300+ hp 2.7L V6 of the 2015 Edge Sport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.