·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Fusion Poised to Hit 200,000 Mark
By Byron Pope
Dec 28, 2010
Wardsauto.com

DEARBORN, MI – U.S. sales of the Fusion midsize sedan are about to hit the 200,000-unit mark, a milestone not reached by a Ford passenger car since 2004.

Through November, Fusion sales totaled 196,590, up 21.5% compared with year-ago, according to Ward’s data. With monthly deliveries regularly eclipsing 10,000 units, it’s likely Fusion will end the year above 200,000, which would mark a record sales year for the model.

The last Ford passenger cars to hit the 200,000 bogey were the Ford Taurus sedan and Focus compact car in 2004, which posted annual sales of 248,148 and 208,339, respectively.

The Focus and Taurus have flirted with that benchmark since then. The former tallied 195,823 sales in 2008, while the latter chalked up 196,919 in 2005.

Should Fusion sales reach 200,000, the car would join an elite group, as only a handful of passenger cars have reached that mark this year. The top-selling car through November was the Toyota Camry, with 296,581 deliveries.

Following Camry were the Honda Accord (253,073), Toyota Corolla (244,024), Honda Civic (231,955) and Nissan Altima (206,247).

George Pipas, Ford Motor Co.’s top U.S. sales analyst, says Fusion sales “have never been off the charts, but it’s in that sweet spot that is the most cross-shopped (segment) in the industry.”

The car’s importance to Ford cannot be overstated, he adds, noting the Fusion is the vehicle that has put Ford – a perennial leader in truck sales – on the radar scope of car shoppers.

“I was a doubter we could ever get back into the car business and I was proven wrong,” Pipas tells Ward’s during a recent meeting here.

He says Fusion’s watershed moment was the introduction of the ’10 Fusion hybrid, which boasts a city fuel economy of 41 mpg (5.7 L/100 km).

Ford dealers agree with Pipas’ assessment of the Fusion, with many telling Ward’s the car has been a game-changer for the Blue Oval brand.

Full text at link

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'd LOVE to make a Poll to see who can come closest to forecasting the first year US-sales for the new Focus;
but since its sales won't start until Feb-March sometime (afaik) it's seems too complicated/awkward :yikes:

_Focus_numbers_
2010 = 174,195 (extrapolated by averaging)
2009 = 160,433
2008 = 195,823
2007 = 173,213

& more on topic (sorta)
combined Fusion & Milan sales
2010 = 196,590+26,634 = 223,224 (just thru November)
2009 = 180,671+27,403 = 208,074
2008 = 147,569+31,393 = 178,962
2007 = 149,552+37,244 = 186,795

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fords really gained some traction with the Fusion. I still for the life of me cant figure out who buys all the Camrys and Corollas. Well, I take part of that back. I have a Uncle who bought a Camry because he literally believes everytihing Consumer Reports prints. If they tell him the sun isnt coming up the next day he swallows it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Remember next year there will be very few Milans, and probably half way through next year there will be none.

I wonder if Ford is going to try and compensate for the loss?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Remember that the Camry and the Accord didn't take over the Taurus overnight, it was a gradual and painful process. I don't think that today Ford has the Fusion production capacity to take over those two.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ill bite first,

Focus = 205,000
fusion = 245,000

Fusion sales will improve a little but will also get the Milan sales
welcome to the forum, George!
&
imho it could come down to how many Focuseses (& Fusions) Ford plans on building
imho2, I simply can't imagine the new Focus NOT selling over 200k - tempted to predict 300k+!!!
for the Fusion I'm thinking the full production of Hermosillo (300k afaik) minus the MKZ & non-US Fusion numbers - - but I don't have a firm idea how much those would be.

Remember next year there will be very few Milans, and probably half way through next year there will be none.

I wonder if Ford is going to try and compensate for the loss?
afaik, Andrew, all Mercury production has already stopped & FoMoCo is taking major measures** to get them out of the dealerships ALREADY

** I've read that Ford's pre-buying the leftovers so dealers can sell them as used!!
guess just to get them off the new-inventory

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welcome to the forum, George!
&
imho it could come down to how many Focuseses (& Fusions) Ford plans on building
imho2, I simply can't imagine the new Focus NOT selling over 200k - tempted to predict 300k+!!!
for the Fusion I'm thinking the full production of Hermosillo (300k afaik) minus the MKZ & non-US Fusion numbers - - but I don't have a firm idea how much those would be.

afaik, Andrew, all Mercury production has already stopped & FoMoCo is taking major measures** to get them out of the dealerships ALREADY

** I've read that Ford's pre-buying the leftovers so dealers can sell them as used!!
Remember the record for the Focus stands at around 306,000...but that was with two plants and a good economy, so i highly doubt it can happen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ford has changed a bunch of assembly plants over to be able to run several lines of cars at the same time. if there is demand they will find a plant to make them at.

I was at a Ford - Mercury dealer about a month ago and they had 5 Mercs left

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I think they will still have a few stragglers into next year since there are still a few 2011 models

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Remember the record for the Focus stands at around 306,000...but that was with two plants and a good economy, so i highly doubt it can happen.
since that's only half-again the 2008 number = very doable imho ... for "The Most Important Car of the Century"

... esp. if gas stays above $3
tho that could mean Focus sales could increase at the expense of the larger sedans

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jpd80 posted a LINK elsewhere:
"Ford’s Stamping and Assembly Plant in Hermosillo, Sonora, one of the most advanced in technology, reached a 300,000 cars production in the first 11 months of the year..."​
Remember just like that plant, MAP has to supply more nations than just the US. Its has to supply US, Canada, and Mexico...maybe also Central American countries as well. Canada for one could take up to 50,000 of that 300,000 alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts