Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford/GM 10-Speed Transmissions Headed For Production?

Earlier this year, Ford and GM announced they were working on 9-speed and 10-speed transmissions together. Today's announcement by General Motors seems to be the most concrete evidence of their progress.

Detroit News reported today that General Motors is to invest nearly $1.3B in Midwest. There were various investments in different plants, but the ones that stood out were those about 10-speed transmissions.

"Which includes $343.4 million for equipment to produce a 10-speed automatic transmission, and $150 million to increase production capacity of a previously announced V-6 engine. GM previously said that production of the engine would start in late 2015. Reuss told reporters he did not have specifics on the timeline of the transmission or which vehicles it would be used in.

GM’s Toledo Transmission plant will receive $30.6 million to boost capacity of an existing six-speed transmission and tooling for a variant; and $29.2 million will go to the Bedford Castings facility, including $22.6 million to make components for the 10-speed transmission and $6.6 million to build components for the six-speed."

With tooling underway at GM transmission plants, it's clear that development and testing is done, and it's now time to go into production. Which means Ford should be making an announcement about investments at their Livonia, Sharonville and Van **** Transmission Plants.

But since there has been no announcement about the investment, it also seems the new 2015 F-150 will not 'initially' have the new 10-speed transmission.

Not so fast...

The Detroit Free Press reported on December, 27, 2012 that Ford kicked off a $773 million dollar investment in 6 plants to start early 2013. This expansion was to take two years to complete(2013/2014). And part of that expansion included $88 million at the Van **** Transmission Plant for FWD transmission, and another $75 million at the Livonia Transmission Plant to:

"add a second line to expand capacity to supply rear-drive transmissions for the F-Series and Ranger pickups."

Ranger Pickups??? The last Ranger pickup came off the assembly line on/around December 16, 2011. That's one year before the transmission investment.

Which indicates that Ford may have already made their investment for the new 9-speed transmission at Van ****, along with the new 10-speed transmission at Livonia. This could also explain why the 2015 F-150 was seen leaving a GM proving ground recently, and would be the only way the new 10-speed could be ready to launch in the 2015 F-150 in a few months.

Also, why would Ford need to expand transmission production for the Ranger pickup that was discontinued in the US a year earlier?

Clearly Ford is not planning to build transmissions for the new global Ranger and ship them outside the country. The only logical explanation would be that Ford intended to bring the global Ranger to the US all along as many expected. Ford and GM are in the same exact business, and do the same market research and apparently have come to the same conclusion. That the small pick-up market is growing and is expected to increase at a fast pace, just like compact car, small suv and the small luxury vehicle market. And there is no way that Ford will stand by and let GM become the King of the small pick-ups when the award winning global Ranger is ready to go.

Which means, as expected, the global Ranger/F-100 should be introduced after the launch of the new, bigger, overlap-free 2015 F-150. :rock:

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Big news here?: The possibility that the new global Ranger will be produced in USA. Really big news...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm unclear on these. Is the 9 speed for FWD and the 10 speed for RWD, or as there some other pla? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Clearly Ford is not planning to build transmissions for the new global Ranger and ship them outside the country. The only logical explanation would be that Ford intended to bring the global Ranger to the US all along as many expected.
I was wondering, why can't Ford export this transmission for use in non-North American models?
Maybe Ford just wants to make full use of this new transmission by not limiting it to the all-new F-150.

PS: Doesn't the Ford-Getrag plant in Mexico export Powershift transmissions to Ford Thailand?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
With the recent quite divergent road that Chrysler among others is travelling with ZF transmissions it awaits to be seen just how beneficial this in house transmission program will be to Ford, and GM.

·
Registered
235 Posts
With the recent quite divergent road that Chrysler among others is travelling with ZF transmissions it awaits to be seen just how beneficial this in house transmission program will be to Ford, and GM.
Ford has some experience with ZF. The Falcon uses a 6-speed version & has for about a decade. Perhaps Ford & GM thought that they could co-develop a transmission line for a lower cost.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ford has some experience with ZF. The Falcon uses a 6-speed version & has for about a decade. Perhaps Ford & GM thought that they could co-develop a transmission line for a lower cost.
GM also has experience with ZF after using a ZF 6 speed in the C4 Corvette.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would expect the auto to require more involvement to program & integrate with the engine logarithms.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Big news here?: The possibility that the new global Ranger will be produced in USA. Really big news...
I do not believe we will see another Ranger, maybe a F100 but not a ranger.

That being said I think there is a big market for a small pick-up's but Ranger is just to big. theres a need for a low cost high MPG small pickup not a midsize almost a F150 size truck

·
Registered
348 Posts

That being said I think there is a big market for a small pick-up's but Ranger is just to big. theres a need for a low cost high MPG small pickup not a midsize almost a F150 size truck
Agree there, unless the next F150 increases in size. If so then maybe Ranger can be made to fit. Give it it's unique F100 appearance and then they're onto something.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Who is to say that Ford doesn't sell the global Ranger and market it as an F100. Ford can then advertise the "F-series" as the best selling vehicle (as they have done for over 35 years).

Since the Ranger has been mentioned, I saw this video on the South African Ford website (also on the Aussie site):

·
Registered
607 Posts
How well does Honda do with the Ridgeline? Could Ford make a 4WD pick up off of the Escape, Edge, or Explorer and call it the F100?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honda sells Ridgelines by the dozens, not thousands. I think the last time I saw, they might have sold a little over 8K of them this year. GM has sold triple that amount of Corvettes in a year before. And could Ford build a truck style vehicle from a CUV platform? Sure. But, more R&D money would have to be invested to make the rear end capable of carrying more cargo than the crossover it would be based on.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wouldn't that be cheaper than starting with a clean sheet of paper? Aren't the Ridgeline pick-up, the minivan Odyssey, and the CUV Pilot all built on the same platform?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How well does Honda do with the Ridgeline? Could Ford make a 4WD pick up off of the Escape, Edge, or Explorer and call it the F100?

Honda sold 17,723 Ridgeline models for 2013. It's a close to a truck as Honda can get without investing in an actual truck platform. I believe the Ridgeline will stop production after the 2014 model, while Honda invests in a truck platform and relaunches in 2016.

The ONLY issue that Ford offered for not selling the Global Ranger in the states, was the 'overlap' issue with the F-150. But the 2015 F-150 will be larger in every dimension, which eliminates the overlap issue, and allows the already globally designed Ranger to enter the US.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Honda sold 17,723 Ridgeline models for 2013. It's a close to a truck as Honda can get without investing in an actual truck platform. I believe the Ridgeline will stop production after the 2014 model, while Honda invests in a truck platform and relaunches in 2016.

The ONLY issue that Ford offered for not selling the Global Ranger in the states, was the 'overlap' issue with the F-150. But the 2015 F-150 will be larger in every dimension, which eliminates the overlap issue, and allows the already globally designed Ranger to enter the US.
Honda has recently established that they will move forward with a Gen 2 RidgeLine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts