Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BusinessWeek - GM-Ford Combo?
One General Motors executive floated the idea, but it was deemed a counterproductive distraction

by David Welch, Lifestyle

How desperate are Detroit's carmakers getting? At a few recent meetings, General Motors (GM) executives have mused aloud about the prospects of a merger with rival Ford Motor (F), BusinessWeek has learned. But the idea went no further than some internal banter, according to sources briefed on one of the meetings...

...Even if such a megamerger doesn't have any real traction, the very fact that anyone in GM's C-suite brought it up shows just how much peril America's carmakers face...

----------------
and now for my takeoff
& another-that's-more-of-a-question (Poll?)

re: the merger
WHAT IF...
Ford & GM, instead of just closing any of their U.S. manufacturing plants or killing off a brand
grab Kerkorian by the throat... 'scuse me... sleeve
and said , "You know so much? Buy *these* and build your own Auto company!!!"

Actually I'm semi-serious... would *like* to see a spin-off (mainly parts of GM, tho Ford could contribute some factories & dealers...). Another American Brand would nice :)

&
the question is:
Since (afaik/iirc) China requires any foreign company to partner with one of theirs in order to be allowed to sell vehicles there,
How About
WE DO THE SAME?

NOT JUST with the Chinese - but ALL foreign mfgs :D

guess maybe, it wouldn't have to be with just the Big 3
bet some of the suppliers would be willing to get involved...
tho if the Kerkorian-deal created a Fourth U.S. mfg....

·
Registered
522 Posts
As much as I like GM I would say no because right now GM is in the middle of what I call the perfect storm and here is why, this year GM had the American Axle strike with a cost of about 1 billion, then add to that this mess GMAC On Brink of Insolvency, , the Delphi Mess in wich everytime Delphi gets in more doodoo:D they ask GM for more money,GM has about 18 billion on the bank and is burning close to a billion monthly, now they are planning on selling or shutting down hummer and maybe Pontiac or GMC and if they dont sell shutting down will cost some millions.

I think of the big 3, right now Ford its more financially stable than GM with close to 40 billion in the bank and Ford credit will have a loss this year but not as huge as the GMAC mess and the products that will come in the next 18 months will be crucial for Fords survival

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I think of the big 3, right now Ford its more financially stable than GM with close to 40 billion in the bank and Ford credit will have a loss this year but not as huge as the GMAC mess and the products that will come in the next 18 months will be crucial for Fords survival

Oh yeah - no comparison betwn Ford & GM imho.
"All" they/we ;) have to do is get thru the next... 2years?... and they'll be THE Major Force to contend with! and hopefully with the money they went & got - it'll be enough.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think they could do more collaboration in the tranny and even on the engine department since now that the v8 sales are going down they could develop a v8 that both companies could use and that way they can reduce the costs, things like that Im behind them a 100% but a merger of this scale reminds me of AMC or British Leyland and look how that ended

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...on the engine department since now that the v8 sales are going down they could develop a v8 that both companies could use...
Don't remember if I ever posted it but
don't think it be too farfetched for GM to Buy 5.0 and even 6.2 BOSSes.
The EcoBoost technology would Not be included tho....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don't remember if I ever posted it but
don't think it be too farfetched for GM to Buy 5.0 and even 6.2 BOSSes.
The EcoBoost technology would Not be included tho....
IMO for both companies survival they should do it , heck GM is going to buy engines from BMW from Cadillac, then they could buy some of the engines from Ford but on the long run they could develop one that both can use and the same goes for the v6, imagine if they could develop a v6 that gets close to 40mpg, I know GM is working on a technology that will make the gas engines work without spark plugs and work like the diesel system

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Ford , the global Ford Motor Company , in not in danger of dissapear because in Europe, SouthAmerica and Australia have profits. In NorthAmerica Ford need to reduce the size to be profitable. How much Ford need to reduce the size of its operations? Maybe Mullaly know..... but Ford will be small and profitable in NorthAmerica in the next 3 or 4 years....

GM is another theme. GM is not as profitable as Ford in Europe. Is growning in Asia ( China and India), is strong in SouthAmerica, but very unprofitable in USA, Canada and other key markets. GM need to do more efforts to keep market share in USA, because the finantial status of the USA branch impact the operations in the rest of the globe.

Chrysler is dead. Cerberus come to Chrysler for money. In 4 or 5 years, when Cerberus look its hands empty, will kill the America 3rd big .

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
There can be no illusions here, no company is in a good shape.
It makes no sense to try paint any of these two as better than the other. I think collaboration on technology and components might be a good thing. For example, GM's Music system in the CTS and Onstar and XM together with Sync.
Ford could get the Volt and the small block, while GM could get ecoboost and perhaps Volvo and Saab could corraborate.
Chevy could build its version of Edge while Ford could get some Traverse based 3 row seater.

Falcon, you underestimate Chryslers or America's ability to survive. You think Jim Press is sleeping?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
No disrespect ndwariga but none of that would ever work. I predict that Ford will recover quicker than GM or Chrysler. Hopefully quick enough to save Mercury. Sync and Sirius are better products than Onstar and XM, so is Volvo better than Saab and on and on. This is only my opinion but if you look real hard at it GM would have far more to gain than Ford would. The article did say these were thoughts that GM personel had not Ford people. I can't imagine that Ford would ever even consider this.
I hear you. I know Ford is small so, it is more nible, and can move fast, but right now, they have Kaptain kirk, and their smaller size, means they should make less mistakes.
As for Sirus, Sync, XM etc, I am no expert, but I know that products coming out of GM lately are phenomenon. Same can be said for Ford.

All in all, I think like all things, there is more hype than reality in this Detroit is in trouble talk.

Every single new product that has come out of GM and Ford is holding its own. Tundra and Titan and their SUV brothers are all but done for, while GMT's and F150 mates are still selling well in these hard times.
That said, the worst is yet to come. a New Focus/Cobalt/Trax/Verve/Fusion/G6/Aura cannot get here fast enough.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
There can be no illusions here, no company is in a good shape.
It makes no sense to try paint any of these two as better than the other. I think collaboration on technology and components might be a good thing. For example, GM's Music system in the CTS and Onstar and XM together with Sync.
Ford could get the Volt and the small block, while GM could get ecoboost and perhaps Volvo and Saab could corraborate.
Chevy could build its version of Edge while Ford could get some Traverse based 3 row seater.

Falcon, you underestimate Chryslers or America's ability to survive. You think Jim Press is sleeping?
Jim Press is not sleeping, but dont have any decent car to advertise. I know Jim did a good job at Toyota,but Chrysler offer no single really good car today.

I hope the new Sebring will be better, but maybe come too later for the american 3rd big

·
Registered
522 Posts
^as I posted earlier

GM is in the middle of what I call the perfect storm and here is why, this year GM had the American Axle strike with a cost of about 1 billion, then add to that this mess GMAC On Brink of Insolvency, , the Delphi Mess in wich everytime Delphi gets in more doodoo they ask GM for more money,GM has about 18 billion on the bank and is burning close to a billion monthly, now they are planning on selling or shutting down hummer and maybe Pontiac or GMC and if they dont sell shutting down will cost some millions.
and what really is worrisome is that this merger thing popped in the mind of GM executives, they must know something really bad to even pop this idea and after thinking aabout it having uncle kirk onboard might not be bad under the current circumnstances because if GM goes down, Chrysler will follow and the old house of Henry will be under more pressure than today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts