Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A Ford GT successor is in the works for both on the road and the track.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard rumors of a Ford GT successor and according to a recent report from MotorTrend, the sports car will make a return at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show, but don’t be surprised if it has a new nameplate. You see, 2016 will mark the 50th anniversary of the American’s automakers most famous race victory, the first of four consecutive wins at the Le Mans 24 Hours. Naturally, it would only be fitting if Ford introduced the new GT that year along with a race car built to compete at the world famous endurance race.

The first time we reported that a Ford GT successor was in the works, we believed it was most likely that Ford would turn towards the powerplants being supplied to Daytona Prototype cars to power the successor. This seems more likely now, especially in the Le Mans race car variant as the 3.5-liter EcoBoost has helped put Ford back onto the race podium for the first time in 45 years. But as formidable as the EcoBoost V6 would be for the race car, Ford could be turning to a V8 for the street.

As for power output, don’t be surprised if the automaker does its best to trump the Ferrari 458 Speciale which has 597 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque. The previous Ford GT had 550 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque so expect performance to improve over the predecessor but not significantly.
For more information on this story, Ford GT to be Resurrected at 2016 Detroit Auto Show please head on over to AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Using the flat-plane crank(?) 5.2 liter V8 of the GT350 does make sense, perhaps tuned with a few extra horses for the GT supercar?

maybe not now but what about a Lincoln version fo 2020 to compete with GT AMG- 911?
I doubt it, Lincoln (in its current state) is not yet in the position to enter other (extreme) segments like that of sportscar to compete with the Mercedes AMG-GT, they are still in the slow process of rebuilding their image as a luxury brand.
Let the next Ford GT (or whatever they'll call it) take care of that segment.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't really think Lincoln is positioned, even in a Ford-o-phile's fantasies, to successfully campaign what would be an R8 competitor. Maybe someday aways off, but not now.

They could do more with a high-performing "4-door coupe" or a real S-Class competitor than a 2-seat supercar.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Rather than a ultra high performance Lincoln, I would rather see an ultra high tech hybrid performance Lincoln.
At this level, they are halo cars held on a pedestal anyway, so might as well make that pedestal scream what your priorities are. For Lincoln, it should be premium high technology, not big V8 power.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Actually if Lincoln were to do a version of this car and I am not talking about rebadging but totally different exterior and suspension changes and such I would rather it have the EcoBoost 6 over a V8 to really differentiate it from its Ford sibling.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I've never *sat* in a GT but did get to see one in person at a Five-Hundred drive event
& passenger(or cargo) space was Not on its priority-list - as I expect for any pure LeMans car's specs
(( not familiar enough with LeMans to know if they have a production-class / not sure how the Corvette qualifies ))
so
if not ^
or even for a Corvette-like car,
I doubt if there'd be much Evos-resemblance (( tho I STILL expect the next major MusStang reDo might ))

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
^ I've never *sat* in a GT but did get to see one in person at a Five-Hundred drive event
& passenger(or cargo) space was Not on its priority-list - as I expect for any pure LeMans car's specs
(( not familiar enough with LeMans to know if they have a production-class / not sure how the Corvette qualifies ))
There are 4 classes in the "24 Hours of Le Mans".
Two Le Mans Prototype classes (LMP1 and LMP2) and two GT classes (GT Endurance Pro and GT Endurance AM which are both based on LM GTE regulations)
The top class is the LMP1. The GT classes are the ones based on production sportscars.

Theoretically, these would be some of the competitors of Ford's (future) GT Le Mans car...

Example of a Le Mans Prototype car
(LMP1 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro shown)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
There are 4 classes in the "24 Hours of Le Mans".
Two Le Mans Prototype classes (LMP1 and LMP2) and two GT classes (GT Endurance Pro and GT Endurance AM which are both based on LM GTE regulations)
The top class is the LMP1. The GT classes are the ones based on production sportscars.

Theoretically, these would be some of the GT competitors of Ford's (future) GT Le Mans car...
[image]
TY, AM2 :thumb:
&
I like calling it "van cat rur doo mhn"

&
(if you feel like it) historically... when was the last time they (ever?) used ""real"" cars??

while not wanting Cuvs/MPVs or even Fwd-based 5pass sedans in it,
I'd be interested in seeing like Audi SR5's.....^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ oh wait

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
TY, AM2 :thumb:
&
I like calling it "van cat rur doo mhn"

&
(if you feel like it) historically... when was the last time they (ever?) used ""real"" cars??
"The ACO has defined limits and requirements for the LM GTE category to ensure that cars are legitimately production-based. The car must have "an aptitude for sport with 2 doors, 2 or 2+2 seats, opened or closed, which can be used perfectly legally on the open road and available for sale"
LM GT race cars are to a certain degree still related to the production sportscars they are based on, unlike NASCARs which share pratically nothing with the road-going cars that bare the same name.

Here is Porsche's 991 RSR LM GTE racecar, it retains the same shape, basic dimensions and engine layout as the roadgoing version (991 GT3).

PS: The LM GTE cars also require 150 cubic decimeters of luggage space (carryover from old Le Mans rules), based on the online conversion that's around 5.29720001 cubic feet.

I'd be interested in seeing like Audi SR5's.....^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ oh wait
By the way, Four-wheel drive cars are not allowed based on LM GTE regulations.

Here's a pdf link to the regulations: http://www.europeanlemansseries.com...eam/2013/00_Season/lmgte_13-14_08.03.2013.pdf

It also helps if they are already planning a race-version of the car during the development of the roadcar. :D

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ re-:thumb:, AM2
I haven't 'studied' it much but have saved a copy
&
one thing I noticed as *curious* (suspicious!) is that the MusStang is just a 'hair' (much less than 1%) under the maximum overall length

(( which
imho rules out any(worth having) LincStang version qualifying...))

&
re-inforces my wondering about when the last time a car suitable for a family (a rich, adventurous one) ever raced at Le Mans....

OH! 'nother thing
the number of annual production to qualify
Think it'd be "interesting" if the number was raised to a realistic 'success' level
instead of 12 or 52**
maybe
(10k -) 33,333 for a "small" mfg (global total) and
(30k -) 100k for a large one?***

** 12/52 sounds like the Very early days of the auto industry and has NOTHING to do with the 21st century imho
*** anyone wanna guess if the Corvette would qualify even for the 30k number? ...let alone the Audi-5er I seem to be fixating on? (at least it's not too big - - can't easily find global sales # so far)

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
With 400 and 500 hp turbo engines right around the corner, maybe they are asking themselves, do we even bother developing a big heavy new V8 that can surpass all that? And if we did, how many would choose it over the coming new turbo V6 engines.
I think a Ford GT or a Lincoln version should have a V8 EB not a V6...or maybe a 500hp EB V6..........although I am not sure, other automakers have V8 engines....and Ford with the V6 EB is doing great job but I guess there are some people that preffer a V8

1 - 20 of 35 Posts