Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Had a buddy with a Focus. He had serious issues with that transmission. They put a second one in it and it seemed to do the trick, though. Maybe he got lucky.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
This remember me the Pinto debacle. Of course, no deaths in this case, but the same negligent actitude from the "bean counters". Is a shame this conduct from Ford in the 21 century...

:frown2:

But when I remember the VW-Audi-Porsche diesel fiasco, I feel something better...

:wink2:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Had a buddy with a Focus. He had serious issues with that transmission. They put a second one in it and it seemed to do the trick, though. Maybe he got lucky.
Ford made an improved Transmission Control Module and updated the software. I believe these quick fixes prolonged the lifespan of the transmission but at the end it never performed as smooth as it should have.

Outside North America, the refreshed 2015MY Focus was given a torque converter automatic option to go along with the 1.5 EcoBoost. It's odd that the North American Focus stuck with the NA 2.0 and PowerShift option.

I on the other hand drove past the PowerShift-era in a stick shift car. :D

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
This remember me the Pinto debacle. Of course, no deaths in this case, but the same negligent actitude from the "bean counters". Is a shame this conduct from Ford in the 21 century...

:frown2:

But when I remember the VW-Audi-Porsche diesel fiasco, I feel something better...

:wink2:
No exploding cars here.
What I vividly recall is that at launch years ago, the DPS6 was anticipated to be quite different in feel, and Ford expected that customers would slowly warm to what they believed was a European-ish manual feel. But the blow back was more than they anticipated, as they continued to make excuses for it. Then, as longer term problems arose, Ford seemed to conflate customer "feel" with technical/durability issues. All told, it became a serious CF. I avoided buying one myself or my kids. I knew Ford would replace it when launched new recently, but alas, NA don't get it. The warranty cost to them was off the charts. In manual trim, the car is wonderful. I considered a used ST for my son at one time, after spending some time in one, but insurance costs and concerns for his vigorous driving style, put an end to that.

Ahhhh, what could have been. This is a blemish on Ford, but not as sinister as some seem to believe.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I recently got rid of my 2012 Focus with the DCT. Now it was pretty awful, clutches replaced 4 times and TCM twice, but all under the extended warranty so I just kept driving it.

I really dont think the DCT issues have anything to do with the Focus and Fiesta going away since even with the issues they still sold well. I think its a combination of them being a lower profit margin vehicle and at the time there was a lot of talks with tariffs and everything else and since both would be imported it just made sense. Now rumors are saying VW is only going to see the next gen Golf in GTI trim in the US, I would like to see Ford do the same and just offer the Focus ST and Fiesta ST here in the US.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
No exploding cars here.
What I vividly recall is that at launch years ago, the DPS6 was anticipated to be quite different in feel, and Ford expected that customers would slowly warm to what they believed was a European-ish manual feel. But the blow back was more than they anticipated, as they continued to make excuses for it. Then, as longer term problems arose, Ford seemed to conflate customer "feel" with technical/durability issues. All told, it became a serious CF. I avoided buying one myself or my kids. I knew Ford would replace it when launched new recently, but alas, NA don't get it. The warranty cost to them was off the charts. In manual trim, the car is wonderful. I considered a used ST for my son at one time, after spending some time in one, but insurance costs and concerns for his vigorous driving style, put an end to that.

Ahhhh, what could have been. This is a blemish on Ford, but not as sinister as some seem to believe.
It enough of a blemish that it basically killed the Focus and Fiesta reputation - some folks can’t even think about one. These brand names are likely dead for a long time in NA.

And enough of a blemish that Ford warned investors this will be a costly endeavour and may hurt earning in the next 2 quarters.

·
Registered
511 Posts
And if Ford introduced a new Focus with 8AT tomorrow, people
would still buy it, nothing is ever final with buyers, Ford just has
to do the right thing and keep doing it for all customers......

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I still don't understand why they didn't go with the more reliable wet clutch option vs the dry clutch or just go with a regular 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Ford's response to the Freep article,

DEARBORN – At Ford, we have no higher priority than earning and keeping the trust of our customers and assuring they are safe. That is why we are deeply concerned consumers may be confused or fearful as a result of recent reporting in the Detroit Free Press about the development and introduction of Ford’s DPS6 transmission nearly a decade ago.

That reporting includes conclusions that are not based in fact, which risks misleading customers about the safety and dependability of their vehicles.

This is too important for such misunderstanding to take hold. Consumers deserve to be told that vehicles with the DPS6 have proven to be safe, after billions of miles on the road since Ford introduced them in good faith. Indeed, automobiles with current versions of the transmission rank highly in performance and reliability, based on warranty statistics.

Here is what Ford believes consumers need to know:

• The DPS6 was an all-new transmission made by a company named Getrag and introduced in 2011 and 2012 on Fiesta and Focus models. It was designed to improve the fuel economy of those vehicles.

• In the development process, the DPS6 successfully completed extensive pre-launch study, testing and refinement. This process is universally applied at Ford. Vehicles are not launched until they reach key development milestones.

• As we acknowledged years ago and have determinedly addressed, two distinct quality issues related to this transmission emerged after it was launched:

1) A degree of vibration, or shudder, when the all-new automatic transmission operated at low speed. Similar to what is experienced with a manual transmission, the vibration was effectively a tradeoff for the higher level of fuel efficiency. Durability and safety were not compromised. We underestimated its effect on customer satisfaction, as well as the complexity and time required to remedy the issue and optimize performance.

2) On a much smaller scale, a potential for the transmission to default to neutral – while still maintaining full power steering and braking – developed only after several years of real-world use of these vehicles. In 2014, the source was traced to a faulty control module. Contrary to an assertion by the Free Press, conversations inside Ford in 2008 had nothing to do with a matter that did not exist until years later.

• The Free Press included allegations about accidents and injuries purportedly caused by the DPS6 transmission, including instances of “sudden…acceleration.” We have not seen that occur with the DPS6 and are not aware of evidence that would validate cause-and-effect in these cases.

Ford has been persistent in addressing these quality problems. We have gone to great lengths investigating the issues, alerting dealers and consumers, recommending and making repairs, and extending warranties. Resolving the problems took longer than we expected. We regret the frustration and inconvenience this has caused.

Unfortunately, reporting by the Free Press has needlessly added to consumer frustration and generated unwarranted concern. The newspaper has relied on documents that have been publicly available for a year, many of them shopped to reporters by attorneys attempting to call new attention to an old topic. Ford could have helped avoid numerous factual errors like the ones above. However, the Free Press declined an invitation to meet with our engineering experts – and go over facts in detail – prior to publishing these stories.

Ford continues to stand behind the affected vehicles today, including providing owners involved in a class action an option to resolve their claims sooner through voluntary arbitration, following the guidelines of the pending class settlement. Across our global business, we remain diligent and accountable in developing products and services that best meet the needs and interests of consumers

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ford can say what they want, but it was still a crap transmission. My Focus was literally the worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this coming from a guy that drove a Chevette in high school. I was on the verge of buying a new Corolla when I said screw and have Ford another shot.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ford can say what they want, but it was still a crap transmission. My Focus was literally the worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this coming from a guy that drove a Chevette in high school. I was on the verge of buying a new Corolla when I said screw and have Ford another shot.

Ford historically doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to transmissions either you'd think they would have been more careful with this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ford historically doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to transmissions either you'd think they would have been more careful with this.
Guess I've been lucky as out of the Fords I've owned the Focus was the only one with transmission issues, now my brother had a a 98 Taurus with many transmission issues.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Guess I've been lucky as out of the Fords I've owned the Focus was the only one with transmission issues, now my brother had a a 98 Taurus with many transmission issues.

Of all the Ford products I have owned these were issues I had

99 Mercury Sable LS - I had the better of the 2 transmissions and never had an issue with it but I know lots of Taurus/Sable/Continental guys complained about it if you had the weaker of the 2.
04 Lincoln LS - Had a really weird issue where it was shifting awkwardly in 2nd and 3rd thought it was the solenoid pack which is a VERY common issue with the LS/S-Type/Thunderbird/Explorer 5 speed auto turned out to be the computer and not the transmission itself
08 Focus - None
13 MKZ - None

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I think the worse thing was the transmission was approved for production even the engineers couldn't make it work as promised from the beginning. That's 9 long years in production.

I'm glad they got rid of the PowerShift but I know Ford of Europe hasn't given up on DCTs.

PS: I wonder if PowerShift is still offered in Brazil, I know the old Fiesta is still alive there with a mild facelift.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I still don't understand why they didn't go with the more reliable wet clutch option vs the dry clutch or just go with a regular 6 speed auto.
Keep in mind that nearly all DCT transmissions including those utilized by VW/ Audi are dry clutch for the torque capacity the Focus required. It is in the TCU, and control software because Ford allowed excessive clutch slip during shifts to try to emulate the shift quality of a traditional automatic.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Keep in mind that nearly all DCT transmissions including those utilized by VW/ Audi are dry clutch for the torque capacity the Focus required. It is in the TCU, and control software because Ford allowed excessive clutch slip during shifts to try to emulate the shift quality of a traditional automatic.
Most of Audi/VW's DCT are wet clutch, they had recalls with the dry clutch DCTs as well and AFAIK, they have also left dry clutch behind.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/audi-shifts-away-from-dual-clutch-transmissions-20160616-gpkryu

1 - 20 of 32 Posts