Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD IMPROVES SYNC 911 ASSIST WITH GPS LOCATION AWARENESS FOR FAST RESPONSE; NO FEES ATTACHED

• Ford SYNC® emergency response app, 911 Assist™, can now provide operators with the ability to receive a vehicle’s exact GPS coordinates in the event of an accident
  • Ford 911 Assist with GPS location remains a subscription-free, no-additional-cost feature to customers for the life of their vehicle; launches on all 2011 MyFord and MyLincoln Touch™-equipped vehicles and select SYNC-equipped models
  • Ford will have a presence at the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) 2010 conference in Indianapolis June 5-10, and continues to work with NENA and the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International as it develops future enhancements for 911 Assist.

DEARBORN, Mich., June 3, 2010 – As thousands of emergency communication professionals gather in Indianapolis June 5-10 for the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) 2010 conference, Ford is announcing new capability for the SYNC 911 Assist™ application: the communication of a vehicle’s location using GPS coordinates provided to emergency responders.

The nonsubscription-based app remains available to customers at no additional cost; providing emergency operators access to GPS coordinates of a vehicle, another important tool that could help first responders reach the scene of an accident faster.

“Ford is committed to continuously enhancing the owner experience, and SYNC is a key part of that strategy,” said Doug VanDagens, director, Ford Connected Services. “SYNC 911 Assist is free for the life of the vehicle, and now we’re making it perform even better. That adds unexpected value and peace of mind for the customer.”

Available with certain 2011 model year vehicles, the GPS coordinates are generated by the vehicle’s onboard GPS receiver for additional accuracy.

“SYNC 911 Assist calls already come in on priority emergency lines, due to the call being placed from the customer’s personal cell phone versus an intermediary call center,” said Dave Hatton, global product leader/electrical engineer with Ford Connected Services. “Currently, 911 Assist is designed to provide location information to emergency service providers through assisted GPS or signal triangulation – the same system providers rely on when dispatching help to mobile phone user emergency calls.

“The new system is designed to provide coordinates through the onboard GPS receiver in addition to assisted GPS, which adds an even greater level of location accuracy.”

Unlike competitive offerings that require customers to subscribe and pay a monthly fee for such accident assistance, Ford 911 Assist remains a nonsubscription-based, no-cost feature of the SYNC system that uses a customer’s existing mobile phone. The fee-free service is available in both the U.S. and Canada.

When the feature is turned on and a phone is Bluetooth-paired to SYNC, 911 Assist can make a call directly to a local emergency operator in the event of an accident involving the activation of an airbag or emergency fuel pump shutoff. With the GPS capabilities, the system is designed to not only alert the operator that a crash has occurred in a Ford vehicle, but to give the operator the option to retrieve the vehicle’s GPS coordinates.

The call is fast, direct, and doesn’t involve a separate call center or intermediary.

“Integrated GPS is a logical next step for 911 Assist, leveraging the GPS hardware that is now included with SYNC,” said Gary Jablonski, manager for the Ford Infotainment Product Development Team. “That’s the beauty of the SYNC platform – it can quickly adapt to and accommodate new technologies, features and services that provide great value to customers without great additional costs.”

The wireless world
The 911 Assist with GPS update comes as telecoms in both the U.S. and Canada continue to improve their respective capabilities, allowing emergency operators to receive not only a caller’s wireless phone number, but the caller’s location information as well. According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), an estimated 240 million calls are made to 911 in the U.S. each year. One third of those are wireless calls; in many communities, that number is one half or more.

“911 Assist with GPS can be useful for those calls where location information is still not available, or if the operator wants to double-check for accuracy,” added Hatton.

Keeping a pulse on the needs of customers as well as the emergency services community, Ford continues to work with nonprofit agencies such as NENA and the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International as it develops other potential enhancements to 911 Assist.

911 Assist with GPS will be available on most SYNC-equipped 2011 vehicles, including the Ford Taurus, Focus, Flex, Fusion, Escape and F-150; as well as the Lincoln MKS, MKZ and MKT.

Vehicles featuring the new MyFord or MyLincoln Touch™ driver connect technology will also have the updated 911 Assist GPS capabilities, and offer customers a number of other emergency service options. A priority emergency screen, for example, will contain location information and quick-touch access to In Case of Emergency (ICE) contacts at the completion of a 911 Assist call.

SYNC 911 Assist with GPS video demo:
http://www.youtube.com/v/5Y6opLfhqIc

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
FORD ADDS GOOGLE MAPS ‘SEND TO SYNC’ SERVICE TO BEAM DRIVING DIRECTIONS I

FORD ADDS GOOGLE MAPS ‘SEND TO SYNC’ SERVICE TO BEAM DRIVING DIRECTIONS INTO CAR; NO EXTRA COST

• Ford adds Google Maps to its ‘Send to SYNC’ feature, allowing drivers to send destinations from Google Maps to their Ford vehicle through the cloud-based SYNC® Traffic, Directions & Information (TDI) app
  • Drivers download destination information into the vehicle via their Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones; the information will be processed into audible turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need to bring printed maps into the car and helping drivers keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road
  • ‘Send to SYNC’ launches later this month and will be available for existing 2010-11 models equipped with SYNC TDI; no extra hardware, software updates or costs are required
DEARBORN, Mich., June 8, 2010 – Drivers who enjoy the convenience of Ford SYNC® with Traffic, Directions & Information (TDI) soon will be able to select a destination on Google Maps and send it to their Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicles.
‘Send to SYNC’ is a new capability added to the Ford Service Delivery Network, the company’s cloud-based architecture, which provides a suite of voice-activated services accessible through a customer’s mobile phone.
“Printing paper directions from a website is a relic in our digital age,” said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford Connected Services Solutions Organization. “With Send to SYNC, you can map a destination at home, at work – wherever you have connectivity – and when you get to your car, it already knows where you want to go. It’s convenient and it eliminates the waste and distraction of paper maps, conserving resources while helping drivers keep their eyes on the road.”
The SYNC TDI application leverages a customer’s mobile phone voice plan and the vehicle’s integrated GPS receiver to deliver location-based services, such as driving directions or business searches, and on-demand information such as horoscopes, news, movie listings and stock quotes. Since these services, including the new Send to SYNC functionality, are cloud-based, no vehicle updates are required and they will be available to all owners who have registered for TDI services through www.syncmyride.com.
When users visit Google Maps on the web to find locations, they will have the option to send a selected destination to their Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle via a “send” menu on the site. Once in the vehicle, the driver connects to SYNC TDI using the “Services” voice command, and when prompted, confirms the request to download the Google Maps destination into the vehicle.
The optimal route is calculated in the cloud using the latest traffic information, downloaded to the vehicle and navigation guidance begins. If the vehicle is equipped with a map-based navigation system, the destination point is downloaded directly to that system, which then calculates the route based on the in-vehicle navigation preferences set by the driver.
“Our cloud-based service network is helping deliver constant improvement for our customers, and has become a key reason why Ford leads the industry with SYNC,” said VanDagens. “We’re proud to be working with Google to bring this new capability to SYNC.”
The Google Maps ‘Send to SYNC’ capability launches later this month. Ford is currently the only automaker offering this capability without requiring a paid subscription to a telematics service.
Ford previously announced the same feature for MapQuest (owned by AOL), which will launch later this year.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 176,000 employees and about 80 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln andMercury, production of which has been announced by the company to be ending in the fourth quarter of 2010
, and, until its sale, Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
<!-- end id="article-body" -->Suggested Tags:

More...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ford adds ability to sync Google maps directions to Sync

Filed under: Technology, Ford, Lincoln

Drivers of late-model Ford vehicles equipped with Sync Traffic, Directions and Information (TDI) will soon be able to plot out their routes using Google Maps on their home computer and then download turn-by-turn directions directly to the car. TDI is a recent addition that adds a GPS receiver which allows Sync equipped cars and trucks to provide directions even if the vehicle doesn't have the full map based navigation system in place.

Unlike General Motors' OnStar system, which incorporates its own cellular equipment, the TDI functionality uses the communications capability provided by a connected mobile phone linked up by the driver. TDI reaches out to download directional data from the internet through the phone. The route will be calculated online using up-to-date traffic information.

To use the "Send to Sync" feature, Ford and Lincoln owners just need to register on syncmyride.com for the free TDI services. The ability to send Google directions to Sync TDI will be launched later this month with a similar service based on Mapquest launching later this year. Official PR verbiage available after the jump.

[Source: Ford]Continue reading Ford adds ability to sync Google maps directions to Sync

Ford adds ability to sync Google maps directions to Sync originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 08 Jun 2010 09:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Re: Ford adds ability to sync Google maps directions to Sync

Ford is leader in tech.There are no doubt.

And, Ford is leader in quality improvement, design (more in Europe than in USA, but is on track) , and is leader in engines development, too.

The Ford's future looks brigth.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Well this is just great. One more nice thing added to SYNC that my $39k 2009 Ford Flex Limited can't get. These may be great industry leading technologies they are introducing but they really hosed the early implementation of SYNC by making these newer features useless to early adopters.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Well this is just great. One more nice thing added to SYNC that my $39k 2009 Ford Flex Limited can't get. These may be great industry leading technologies they are introducing but they really hosed the early implementation of SYNC by making these newer features useless to early adopters.
Well I did not see the Fiesta on that list, so I might feel your pain and I will be having a 2011 model.

I think this is a big step for SYNC as are all the updates in the last few weeks that Ford has added to their SYNC system. Automobile Magazine has a good article about the Fiesta and said it has everything and the kitchen SYNC...lol I thought it was a good article.

Sync will only get better in time and will add a lot more features with the update to MyFordTouch in their new models. I wish my car had that but you can only put soo much in a small car and this will be in my next vehicle when I am done with the Fiesta and upgrade to the Focus.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

not to discount your feelings, Baggs
but
this is happening because
- it's new technology
- it COMPUTER technology not really automotive technology
And I hope FoMoCo can get a better upgrade path in place ASAP
however
- your wheels won't fall off
- your engine won't explode
- you won't even be subject to Unintended-Acceleration

also
Here's Jalopnik's article

·
Registered
120 Posts

not to discount your feelings, Baggs
but
this is happening because
- it's new technology
- it COMPUTER technology not really automotive technology
And I hope FoMoCo can get a better upgrade path in place ASAP
however
- your wheels won't fall off
- your engine won't explode
- you won't even be subject to Unintended-Acceleration

also
Here's Jalopnik's article
I'm a software developer so I understand. I just hate it when it happens to me! :) The Flex is a lease so in about 2 years I'll have this in something else like an Edge or Explorer anyway and I'm sure there will be even more cool features then too. Things like this just enforce my decision to lease even more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts