Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Investing $1 Billion Into Lincoln's "Last Chance"

DETROIT—Ford Motor Co. is spending $1 billion in its effort to develop a new generation of vehicles for its struggling Lincoln brand, according to dealers who were briefed by the company.

Ford is working on seven all-new or significantly upgraded vehicles that Lincoln will roll out over the next four years. It hopes to reposition Lincoln as a cross between the on-road performance of BMW AG and the interior comfort and refinement of Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand.

The auto maker sees the effort as the "last chance" for Lincoln to re-establish itself as a leading competitor in the luxury-car segment, said Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, during a presentation two weeks ago, according to three dealers who attended the invitation-only event.

Lincoln spokesman Timothy Elliott said the auto maker offered a "clear explanation" of its plans for Lincoln at the meeting with top dealers in Dearborn, Mich., but he declined to comment further. "We are fully committed to making Lincoln a world-class luxury brand with compelling vehicles and an exceptional consumer experience to match," he said.

Lincoln was once one of the top-selling luxury brands in the U.S., but its sales have dwindled during the past decade as Ford stocked the brand mainly with upgraded versions of the same models it sells as Fords. In 2010, Lincoln sold 85,828 cars and light trucks—fewer than rival luxury marques Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, Acura, Audi and Infiniti.

At the meeting, Ford executives said they expect Lincoln sales to fall to 78,000 vehicles this year, and then climb to 162,000 in 2015, with the seven new models providing a lift, said the dealers who were briefed.

Read More...

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would assume that $1 Billion is the amount of capital Ford is injecting into Lincoln BEYOND it's scheduled capital projects and Lincoln's reinvested profits. $1 Billion just isn't enough on it's own.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Interesting approach to tell the people you're asking to pony up $1M+ that this is the last shot. "Fix up your stores, but be aware that if we fail at product we are going to mercury Lincoln."

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow. Ford just laying down the hammer. The bigger problem is, Ford shouldn't be telling dealers that this is the Last Chance. They can spend the billion, but they are still in charge of making them desirable. Dealers can't be expected to sell fancy Fords (like they do now). This is where some exclusivity would help out. A Lincoln riding on a chassis/platform that no other Ford vehicle (in the US) uses.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
assuming the reported phraseology is correct...
^^ yeah, SullyND
just as I start to feel hopeful about Lincoln (due to it's facebook stuff mainly)
Fomoco shovels out another layer of [email protected] like this...
...re-emphasizing the GAMBLE-ness of inve$ting the dealerships' businesses.

I would assume that $1 Billion is the amount of capital Ford is injecting into Lincoln BEYOND it's scheduled capital projects and Lincoln's reinvested profits. $1 Billion just isn't enough on it's own.
dunno about that first part
This "last chance" garbage is like Fomoco buying ONE Lottery Ticket
instead of saying "We'll do whatever it takes" < which is what is necessary to at least SAY
AND is what Lexus DID when they planned their CAMPAIGN to establish temselves.

Imho Lincoln could still succeed IN SPITE OF Fomoco & I hope it does

2b2 =
:toetap:

edit
just thought of a diff possibility
maybe this is a "Last Push" to kill off 'enough' Lincoln dealers
before "leaking" out the new vehicles???

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
assuming the reported phraseology is correct...
^^ yeah, SullyND
just as I start to feel hopeful about Lincoln (due to it's facebook stuff mainly)
Fomoco shovels out another layer of [email protected] like this...
...re-emphasizing the GAMBLE-ness of inve$ting the dealerships' businesses.

dunno about that first part
This "last chance" garbage is like Fomoco buying ONE Lottery Ticket
instead of saying "We'll do whatever it takes" < which is what is necessary to at least SAY
AND is what Lexus DID when they planned their CAMPAIGN to establish temselves.

Imho Lincoln could still succeed IN SPITE OF Fomoco & I hope it does

2b2 =
:toetap:

edit
just thought of a diff possibility
maybe this is a "Last Push" to kill off 'enough' Lincoln dealers
before "leaking" out the new vehicles???
I suppose their rhetoric is well planned. This tells Ford shareholders that there will not be any "bottomless pits" of capital drain just to say the company has a luxury brand, which is a good thing. And like you said, it will likely cause several dealers to close up shop (another good thing for Ford). Ford can then ultimately select new dealers if they need additional retail outlets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Linclon needs to stop making their car look old fashion and build cars that's exciting to look at especially when they are moving in traffic Lincoln cars stands out but in the wrong sense they have no charater or distinction they are to bland or they go overboard with gadgets I hope these new cars hits a homerun or be a slam dunk so I can buy one that's what I'm waiting for'
A Lincoln Lover

·
Registered
401 Posts
The only major complaint is the current design language and I mean the split wing grille .

It needs to go . And replace it with a new theme or bring back the old stylish Continental grille . Which works fine with smaller and larger vehicles .

2004 Lincoln Mark X Concept :

2005 Lincoln Aviator Concept :

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Ford is speaking the truth. This is Lincoln's last chance to be successful. I am starting to feel there really isn't any hope for Lincoln. This has been going on for years. Lincoln really needs some halo models to stand out. There is no telling when we will see that happen.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ford is speaking the truth. This is Lincoln's last chance to be successful. I am starting to feel there really isn't any hope for Lincoln. This has been going on for years. Lincoln really needs some halo models to stand out. There is no telling when we will see that happen.
If the entire Chrysler Corporation is still alive than I can't really see why Lincoln wouldn't have a long way ahead of them . . . .

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Last Chance is a very poor and stupid choice of words, (1)
if it indeed was used (2). . .
exactly ... TWICE exactly!!

my condensed facebook/twitter comment:
@ Fomoco re: Lincoln _ I can't imagine that ANY company that intends to STAY in business would ever say anything like "LAST CHANCE" ... at least not out loud :-(

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
exactly ... TWICE exactly!!

my condensed facebook/twitter comment:
@ Fomoco re: Lincoln _ I can't imagine that ANY company that intends to STAY in business would ever say anything like "LAST CHANCE" ... at least not out loud :-(
Glad to agree with you . . . :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see this as a law suit weighting to happen OR the death of Lincoln
as "A" ford told the dealers to "shape up" a few month ago and NOW they tell them ONE try OR ELSE + there are law suits over Mercury and there was NO dealer Upgrade required to keep Mercury

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Last I heard 'last chance' from these people, it was related to Mercury, Its now dead.. I suspect Alan is going to kill Lincoln. I predicted it here when Mercury was shut down.

$1 Billion is not enough to launch a Marketing campaign for one model. across this country.. and Ford expects to resurrect a brand with $1 Billion? Tata is pouring $8.00 billion into Jaguar; the Cadillac ATS program alone is probably running close to $3.00 Billion... when you include the cost of a new small RWD platform...

Folks, Lincoln is officially on its death bed

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I am surprised by the utter lack of common sense expressed by some supposed automotive aficionados in forums like these.

Folks, if Lincoln does nothing more than just add the C class, then it could then exceed Cadillac in terms of just sales numbers, because I expect sales of this new C to be in the 6-8K range per month, which nearly doubles Lincoln sales right there.

But soooo much more is coming.
Heck, just the filling of the livery black-hole with a new stretch MKT and Limo version, replacing the TC, will help out immensely.
Add the sexy new MKZ coming, as well as all the freshenings, powertrains and all new products for Lincoln…..and how can some of you honestly think what you think, without looking a little deeper, is just strange to me. Heck, look at the success of Ford, and that is a good indicator of the potential for future Lincoln success.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I am surprised by the utter lack of common sense expressed by some supposed automotive aficionados in forums like these.

Folks, if Lincoln does nothing more than just add the C class, then it could then exceed Cadillac in terms of just sales numbers, because I expect sales of this new C to be in the 6-8K range per month, which nearly doubles Lincoln sales right there.

But soooo much more is coming.
Heck, just the filling of the livery black-hole with a new stretch MKT and Limo version, replacing the TC, will help out immensely.
Add the sexy new MKZ coming, as well as all the freshenings, powertrains and all new products for Lincoln…..and how can some of you honestly think what you think, without looking a little deeper, is just strange to me. Heck, look at the success of Ford, and that is a good indicator of the potential for future Lincoln success.
I agree with every letter of what you just say which makes more baffling to me why would Ford be talking about last chances for Lincoln . . . as if they had given it any up until know anyway.

But Mulally is right, again, in accomplishing the mission at Ford before initiating the easier, but still time and resources consuming, mission of reviving Lincoln.

I have heard so many things about the next MKZ, can hardly wait to see it.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford was indeed the difficult fix, that took longer and considering how successful they are today, while remembering that they are just getting started, kind of puts that into perspective.

Lincoln is actually an easy fix - throwing more luxury and better differentiating already existing yet successful platforms, while offering better better quality, customer service and total value is hard to beat as a recipe for improving.

And sorry, but a limited production 600 hp RWD halo car, is NOT the way to long term profitability.
CAFÉ will make certain of that.

Lincoln is looking far, far done the road ahead, not over the hood to catch the next German car.
That's already being done.

And just watch as Buick starts to steal caddy sales, and then lets talk about future.
Without Merc, Lincoln is free to fly…..

1 - 20 of 66 Posts