Ford Inside News banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I dont want a hatred per say of Tesla, just not a fan of most of their products. The Model S is gorgeous and for the longest time Id about break my neck when a saw them. The X is hideous and the 3 is kinda meh, but the interior is God awful. The biggest issues Ive had with them is they felt special, until I got to sit in one. For the price of the car I just expected it to feel more special, but the build quality was just not good. Maybe its gotten better, this was an early Model S. Also I think one of their biggest issues is Musk himself, he needs to step back and let someone else run the ship.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I dont want a hatred per say of Tesla, just not a fan of most of their products. The Model S is gorgeous and for the longest time Id about break my neck when a saw them. The X is hideous and the 3 is kinda meh, but the interior is God awful. The biggest issues Ive had with them is they felt special, until I got to sit in one. For the price of the car I just expected it to feel more special, but the build quality was just not good. Maybe its gotten better, this was an early Model S. Also I think one of their biggest issues is Musk himself, he needs to step back and let someone else run the ship.

... and that will occur soon (maybe, with Elon Musk nobody knows )... the automotive section of Tesla has candidate to run it...

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/08/tesla-jerome-guillen-president-automotive-operations/

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
That is actually a great idea. Musk is not your best face going forward.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You are right, forgive me for bringing up anything negative about Tesla, and being an American and all.....how shameful of me.

So please, let's continue where we left off, trashing Ford instead.
Wings I'm usually with you a hundred percent but let's be real about something here: you can't say anything nice about Tesla or Musk on this forum without getting absolutely vilified. Not necessarily by you because I know you frequently comment on how attractive they are and I know you like Tesla. But a positive discussion about Tesla on this forum cannot exist without someone coming by to violently sh¡t on the party with the same old lines about how Tesla sucks. It's made me stop commenting on this forum about Tesla altogether, I guess except now. I worked for a Musk company for a bit. I met him and we interacted professionally a few times. The way he and his companies are portrayed by some members of this site and by the media in general is grossely inaccurate and not even worth entertaining.

Regarding Ford criticism, I agree some are far too harsh on this forum, occasionally unjustified. But at least defending Ford is often met by people who are quite willing to accept those defenses as legit and will tend to not disagree with your whole perspective, which is a concept that Tesla/Musk haters literally can't comprehend for some reason.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
With the notable exception of the Switchgear, Tesla interiors are not awful. I haven't been in a Model 3 yet but I have been in an S and X and the X is by FAR the nicest for a number of reasons. It's spacious with an enormous over the head windshield and open seating position with lots of nice simply styled surfacing. The windshield alone completely changes the experience, your view becomes the luxury. I say that after spending most of my life with my head buried in the headliner of a car and ducking to see out the front window. It's hard not to be impressed with everything you touch from the enormous displays to the automated doors. It's just hard to equate such an experience with a traditional luxury vehicle which is mostly just a version of a standard car with nicer visuals. I learned long ago that what you look at is less important than the experience and how you feel.

The Model X is my dream car right now. It's not unattainable for me but it's just a scary purchase since it comes with so many unknowns with regard to how well it fits my needs. It's the only EV I would spend that kind of money on, I would't even spend that money on an Aviator PHEV just because it's not a particularly exceptional experience. I am hoping the Mach1 stands out, although I know it's going to be quite conventional next to a Tesla...I certainly won't be able to buy it online and avoid the dealer.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have been in a 3, and I did question how anybody would like it. The X reaches easily into 6 figures, so we should expect a bit more. Even the S can approach 6 figures, when all the boxes you want are checked.
I got to sit in a 3 a few weeks ago. It was nice, but also very spartan feeling - both the dash and doors. Almost seemed like things were missing (because they literally are in some cases). It would take some getting used to for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I wonder what Ford is thinking as they plan to launch hybrids so late in the game, where it looks like they missed the hybrid upward trend by about 5 years. But I think with their big SUVs the idea of hybrid is more of just making their ICE vehicles more efficient for global CAFE standards.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
uhhhhhh...yeah? Planning for hybrid trucks/suvs is off by about 5 years now. This same sales 'trend' is why Ford is moving away from sedans...right?

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
uhhhhhh...yeah? Planning for hybrid trucks/suvs is off by about 5 years now. This same sales 'trend' is why Ford is moving away from sedans...right?
LOL

Ford is practically the leader in hybrids, and has been for some time. They are not just now timing anything. They are in fact trying to meet difficult CAFE margins by extending the expertise into all products, for both huge FE and performance gains, and for minimal cost with their new technology.

I'm sorry, tell me again how this is bad? Because that 2% drop in hybrids that has you panicked, will probably increase by 6% or so. So.........

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I still don't see anybody even close to what Ford is about to unleash on the Hybrid market. It's basically their next generation efficiency strategy like EcoBoost. Ford is taking expensive luxury car technology and applying it to their highest volume nameplates and products, but doing it better.

I don't think it's about selling experience, a company doesn't have to be selling products to gain experience from developing them or watching others closely. What may be harder is customer insight, but this isn't exactly matured market in the first place so they have to make their best educated guesses.

I do look at Ford as the company that tends toward analysis paralysis, but I usually trust their methods and reasons...or I just make excuses for them using creative logic...never really sure.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts