Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 592 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone heard of a new large Lincoln sedan with a program code of CD714, due in 2020?
Thanks MKII for leading us to this link! http://www.uhy-us.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=w8tCDB0fA0M%3D&portalid=0

FORD GROUP
 Production for the Ford Edge (CD539) has been moved ahead to September 2021 from December
2021. The program code for Ford Edge (CD539(ng)) has been updated to CDX706. In addition,
production has been moved ahead to October 2021 from January 2022.

 Current‐generation Ford Escape (C520)’s facelift timing has been moved to March 2016 from June
2015; production will end November 2018. Subsequently, timings for the Ford Escape (C482) have
been adjusted at both Cuautitlán and Louisville Truck with SOP December 2018, a refresh for January 2022, and EOP for August 2024.

 EOP for Ford Explorer (U502) has been moved back to December 2018 from September 2018. This
results in a timing shift for the Ford Explorer (U625 having an SOP in January 2019, a facelift for
January 2022, and an EOP for December 2025).

 Rather than the next‐generation Fiesta, the C484 program will be a Small Car to replace the Fiesta at Cuautitlán.

 The Ford Flex (D471) and Lincoln MKT (D472) EOPs have been moved out three years from December 2015 to December 2018.

 Program code for the next‐generation Mustang (S550(ng)) has been changed to S650 and the SOP has been shifted back from January 2022 to May 2020. Subsequently, the EOP for the S550 has been moved to April 2020.

 The lifecycle for the Ford Taurus (D258) has been extended out beyond our forecast horizon to June 2023 from June 2017.

EOP for the Lincoln Continental (D544) has been moved from March 2022 to May 2023 and therefore shifting the next‐generation out of the forecast horizon.

Added a Large Sedan to the forecast for Lincoln with a program code of CD714, SOP of July 2020, facelift of Jul‐2023, and EOP of June 2026.

 Lincoln Midsize SUV (U611) SOP shifted from February 2019 to January 2019.

 The next‐generation Lincoln MKX SOP was moved out from January 2021 to March 2022. The
program code was also changed from U540(ng) to CDX707. The facelift for the CDX707 was changed as well from December 2023 to March 2025 and the EOP from December 2026 to February 2028. The U540 EOP was shifted as a result from December 2020 to February 2022 and the facelift from November 2017 to May 2018.

 The Lincoln MKZ (CD533) EOP was extended from July 2018 to June 2019. The next‐generation MKZ (CD622) was moved from the Hermosillo plant to Flat Rock Assembly with an SOP of July 2019 (was August 2018), facelift of July 2022 (was July 2021), and EOP of June 2026 (was July 2024).

Discuss!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
re: Ford/Lincoln product forecast

:thumb: THANKS, N.R!!

I had trouble processing the info the way they 'prosed' it so made a list (by sizes)

Fiesta ........ C484 .... Cuautitlán
Escape ....... C482 .... SOP December 2018 Cuautitlán

Edge ........ CDX706 ... from January 2022 to October 2021
MKX ......... CDX707 ... Delayed from January 2021 to March 2022
MKZ ......... CD622 ..... SOP of July 2019 Flat Rock (was August 2018)
Lincoln Midsize SUV U611 from February 2019 to January 2019 = Aviator?

Explorer ...... U625 .... extended from September 2018 to December 2018
Taurus ....... (D258) ... extended to June 2023
Flex/MKT (D471/D472) extended from December 2015 to December 2018

Conti .......... _____ ... next-generation after May 2023
Large Sedan..CD714 ... SOP of July 2020
Mustang ...... S650 ..... SOP from January 2022 to May 2020

all vechicle codes are the next-gens except those in red (####)

MKII UPdate: MK4 Focus program is C519 -&- Next Fiesta program is B479...(?)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

thought it'd be helpful to re-post that old Lincoln Product Plan chart

maybe tomorrow I can make a revised version to show the new dates
( unless someone else gets to it first :joyous: )
( maybe find the Ford version at AutomotiveNews too? )
((or if some blog-site hijacks it...))

update:
Link

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ I've had a feeling that 'big' changes will come from the CAFE "fooiprint" rules...
...found this thanks to @jpd80 the other day

from a brief fiddling it seems that to hit the most favorable category (least MPG needed), a vehicle will need around/at least a 120" wlb (think Chrysler 300)
tho, they wouldn't have to be even that long (not really fullsize)

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

transplanting most of SP1966's previous post (afraid to move it)

• The Ford Flex (D471) and Lincoln MKT (D472) EOPs have been moved out three years from December 2015 to December 2018.
What stands out to me is going forward all Ford/Lincolns will be on a six year life cycle with facelifts after three. The Flex and MKT are adding three years to their life cycle, equivalent of a normal half life and yet no face lift.

I'm the extension was a relatively recent change thus trying to fit in a facelift is impossible as it should come next year, not two years or less before SOP. Too bad, the MKT isn't a bad vehicle, it's just an ugly MoFo!

• Program code for the next‐generation Mustang (S550(ng)) has been changed to S650 and the SOP has been shifted back from January 2022 to May 2020. Subsequently, the EOP for the S550 has been moved to April 2020.
When someone asks me why I'm not upset at the great performance offered by the new Camaro the above is exactly why. People can deny it all they want, if the Camaro wasn't as good as it is Ford would not be lopping almost two years from S550 by which time the initial investment has long been amortized and they're running huge profits.

• The lifecycle for the Ford Taurus (D258) has been extended out beyond our forecast horizon to June 2023 from June 2017.
And now we know the answer to why the Chinese Taurus is the Chinese Taurus.

• EOP for the Lincoln Continental (D544) has been moved from March 2022 to May 2023 and therefore shifting the next‐generation out of the forecast horizon.
[img please-no-o.gif /img]

Added a Large Sedan to the forecast for Lincoln with a program code of CD714, SOP of July 2020, facelift of Jul‐2023, and EOP of June 2026.
Nice, but I simply do not like the idea of a sedan above the Continental. That's not to say I wouldn't be pleased with this larger sedan bearing the Continental name, I just think that name belongs at the pinnacle of Lincoln sedans, always, and forever.

• The Lincoln MKZ (CD533) EOP was extended from July 2018 to June 2019. The next‐generation MKZ (CD622) was moved from the Hermosillo plant to Flat Rock Assembly with an SOP of July 2019 (was August 2018), facelift of July 2022 (was July 2021), and EOP of June 2026 (was July 2024).
Don't like waiting another year for the D6 (yeah yeah, you call it CD622 if you want too) MKZ but I am very happy to see it's production being moved back to the US!!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Not always the Continental was the "top of the line" Lincoln. The FWD Continental wasnt. Some times, the Mark sedan and Town cars were in top of the Continentals models, like in 1982:

From the bottom to the top:

Continental
Town Car
Mark sedan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

The new Mustang now lines up with the production of the new large Lincoln sedan!

The Lincoln Mid-sized SUV comes out the same time as Explorer, so that was predicted.

Why is the old Taurus still being produced for so long?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Not always the Continental was the "top of the line" Lincoln. The FWD Continental wasnt. Some times, the Mark sedan and Town cars were in top of the Continentals models, like in 1982:

From the bottom to the top:

Continental
Town Car
Mark sedan

There should never be a 4 door Mark

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

The last Mark was a 4-door.
Uhhh no it wasn't. The last Mark was the Mark VIII and that was a 2 door. The only time the Mark series got 4 door treatment was the Mark VI for 3 years 80-83 and it wasn't very popular.

Edit: I know you are going to say Mark LT but that's not part of the Mark series.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

I'm surprised that the Flex and the MKT will be alive for 4 years more. They need a refresh and new powerplants rigth now.

I like Lincoln will make a new, bigger sedan above the Continental. Sure, it will be a RWD/AWD car.

No news about a coupe or small sedan for Lincoln. Only a new medium size SUV ( Explorer based) and the new bigger sedan.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Lincoln seems to be sticking with what some call the "tweener" strategy, which I think will work well for them. The Continental simply was/is a generously-sized midsize sedan. Lincoln hopes people will put it up against the average-sized midsize sedans to experience the value, extra space, and extra amenities you get with the Continental. There's obviously still a lot of room to build a much larger and more expensive sedan. That will give them the full sedan line-up they need.

Also, the original SOP date for the next Mustang aligns with the Mark's rumored SOP at Flat Rock, which SOP was said to be January of 2022.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts

Lincoln seems to be sticking with what some call the "tweener" strategy, which I think will work well for them. The Continental simply was/is a generously-sized midsize sedan. Lincoln hopes people will put it up against the average-sized midsize sedans to experience the value, extra space, and extra amenities you get with the Continental. There's obviously still a lot of room to build a much larger and more expensive sedan. That will give them the full sedan line-up they need.

Also, the original SOP date for the next Mustang aligns with the Mark's rumored SOP at Flat Rock, which SOP was said to be January of 2022.
Not exactly true. I don’t believe Lincoln is sticking with anything regarding the Conti, as it is little more than a heavily updated MKS using an existing, albeit modified chassis. IOW, it is interim and has managed to wow everyone, as they prepare all new platforms/vehicles. I am confident that Lincoln will impress quite thoroughly in coming years. I would not suggest they are sticking or settling for anything.

And as far as size, I would definitely put the Conti in the large class commensurate with others. It felt big sitting in it. Completely opposite MKS, which felt smaller sitting in what appears to be a bigger vehicle.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Not exactly true. I don’t believe Lincoln is sticking with anything regarding the Conti, as it is little more than a heavily updated MKS using an existing, albeit modified chassis. IOW, it is interim and has managed to wow everyone, as they prepare all new platforms/vehicles. I am confident that Lincoln will impress quite thoroughly in coming years. I would not suggest they are sticking or settling for anything.

And as far as size, I would definitely put the Conti in the large class commensurate with others. It felt big sitting in it. Completely opposite MKS, which felt smaller sitting in what appears to be a bigger vehicle.
Heavily modified MKS? We all know this car is on a new chassis derived from CD4. Ford would not have put this much effort into an interim product.

The tweener strategy has been in place since the 80s. It worked well for Lincoln, and it worked well for Cadillac before they screwed up the CTS with the Alpha sedans. When you're competing in a saturated market, you need to take the unconventional path.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

...The tweener strategy has been in place since the 80s. It worked well for Lincoln...
Yup :thumb: even earlier**
218.4 - 126.0 - 77.5 - 56.0 - 1956 Continental Mark II
compared to fullLuxsize of around 230"
** I'm still barely learning the "KB" era

...and it worked well for Cadillac before they screwed up the CTS with the Alpha sedans....
not so much even then imho
but/tho
other*than* engineering exemplary BMWclones, Caddy hasn't done anything right in living memory
** oh wait

...When you're competing in a saturated market, you need to take the unconventional path.
Agree
& imho Lincoln is taking it beyond "unconventional" (in the sense of different for different's sake) by forging such a strong identity that
they'll rival or supercede the old-no-long-true "The Cadillac of ___"
with "The Lincoln of ____" including all those^ superlatives PLUS a level of surprise-&-delight that recently I only remember being given to Apple

·
Registered
10,933 Posts

Heavily modified MKS? We all know this car is on a new chassis derived from CD4. Ford would not have put this much effort into an interim product.

The tweener strategy has been in place since the 80s. It worked well for Lincoln, and it worked well for Cadillac before they screwed up the CTS with the Alpha sedans. When you're competing in a saturated market, you need to take the unconventional path.

Allow me to hopefully clarify my point a bit better, that any strategy that Lincoln is perceived to have going forward, is mostly short term, using existing platforms, including CD4. Conti is little more than a renamed MKS, as mentioned, starting from that modified chassis, as mentioned. The Conti is in fact the last vehicle to launch under this phase of their rebirth. They are literally starting from the ground up for the next phase, so anything is possible and judgement at this point is not based on much.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Allow me to hopefully clarify my point a bit better, that any strategy that Lincoln is perceived to have going forward, is mostly short term, using existing platforms, including CD4. Conti is little more than a renamed MKS, as mentioned, starting from that modified chassis, as mentioned. The Conti is in fact the last vehicle to launch under this phase of their rebirth. They are literally starting from the ground up for the next phase, so anything is possible and judgement at this point is not based on much.
Everything you're saying makes perfect sense, but your wording in regard to 'renamed MKS' makes it sound as though you're saying it's an update of the outgoing MKS which was built on the old Volvo derived platform and not CD4. I get what you're trying to say, the Continental began life as a CD4 based MKS replacement and they changed it to Continental during development, thus to that extent it is a renamed MKS even though that car never really existed from a buyer perspective.

I'm sure I've now made your point as clear as mud!

1 - 20 of 592 Posts