·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trademark Indicates a New Model
Ford Inside News
April 4, 2014
By: Austin Rutherford

While Ford has been touting their domination in the police vehicle market as of late, they might be planning yet another model to bring their offerings to three. Following in the footsteps of the Police Interceptor Sedan (aka Taurus) and the Police Interceptor Utility (aka Explorer), Ford has trademarked "Police City" (S.N. 86143444) with the USPTO.

The question remains, however, as to what vehicle this new police model would be based off. Given its name, it is most likely that of the Focus or Fiesta as they would be better situated for city/urban use. Of those two models, the Focus is the most probable given the following conditions:

1. The Focus will launch with a facelift this summer. This would follow the Taurus PI, which launched with the Taurus's facelift.
2. The Focus is built in the US, while the Fiesta is built in Mexico.

No timeline for the introduction of the model has leaked out, so we will have to wait and see which model and when it will be introduced. We will keep our eyes and ears tuned to find out more.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I am thinking with the surge in sales of the Explorer Interceptor up 45% YTD, the Police City would be based on Escape.

The Ford Escape has been on the police force for many years now, especially in NYC.

And it just makes sense with the success of the Explorer Interceptor, that there be a smaller SUV with a high seating position for great visibility in the city, like the an Escape Police City.

It's already being used as a first response vehicle....

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think the C-Max would be too expensive to be considered. I would also think if it was the Escape, it would be "Police City Utility" or something like that.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
When living in RI I used to go to NYC every so often and I remember seeing Nissan Altima Hybrid Police cars. Could it be a Fusion Hybrid package?

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Taurus is too small to have a fullsized prisoner. How about the next Edge as a PI?

·
Registered
761 Posts
What if Ford introduces the EcoSport as the "Police Interceptor City Ute"? The EcoSport would be easy to maneuver through city traffic and thrifty to operate.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ good idea in several ways imho, scford :thumb:
- small
- rugged (afaik)
- low-rent interior not important (Link)
only problem is: Can it be built in the U.S.?
think more & more gov'mint shopping lists require that

Bloggin said:
...an Escape Police City.
It's already being used as a first response vehicle....
2 wonderings:
- if there's any kind of requirement-list or testing for a vehicle to get on the(?) "gov'mint shopping list"
- if there's a list of all vehicles used in (very)various U.S. gov'mint roles

·
Registered
607 Posts
The small CUVs and sedans may make sufficient Special Service vehicles for code enforcement, service Officers, animal control Officers, administrators, detectives, etc., but not as front line patrol vehicles. Special Service vehicles tend to operate during business hours leaving time for electric enhanced models to recharge. Patrol vehicles operate 24-hours a day most often unless they're take home cars like for some county and state Officers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The MkII TC is made in Michigan. Unlike the MkI which was imported from Turkey.

I like the MkI a lot. Wife and I call them "Rabbits" for a story that is too long to retell here. We strongly considered it as a camping/adventuring vehicle. The MkII lacks that appeal. Not sure why.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Since the Taurus is kinda small for transporting prisoners, maybe Ford should replace the PI Sedan with a PI version of the new Edge to be sold along side the PI Utility (Explorer).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts