Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm a child of the 70's and remember the Falcon based Maverick well, but I would be very happy for Ford to use the Maverick name on its ruggedly styled small crossover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Pinto - if the name does come back - would be better used as one of the upcoming EVs. I can imagine the Pinto being used for a different bodystyle versus Mach E where a two door of it can look like the old Pinto bodyshape while the 4 door would be also offered. Have it like a sporty hatchback or even wagon styling to it like the old ones but electric-powered. Have the new Pinto be served for a simple electric powered vehicle to travel with long range and quick charging while the Mach-E be more performance-oriented. That way, no more comments or jokes about the old exploding gas tank as the new Pinto be marketed as electric-powered. That would go along with the rest of the animal-named vehicles: Mustang, Bronco, Maverick, etc. I don't think Pinto name is coming back but would be better used for an electric vehicle off the new EV architecture with the old retro styling.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Pinto - if the name does come back - would be better used as one of the upcoming EVs. I can imagine the Pinto being used for a different bodystyle versus Mach E where a two door of it can look like the old Pinto bodyshape while the 4 door would be also offered. Have it like a sporty hatchback or even wagon styling to it like the old ones but electric-powered. Have the new Pinto be served for a simple electric powered vehicle to travel with long range and quick charging while the Mach-E be more performance-oriented. That way, no more comments or jokes about the old exploding gas tank as the new Pinto be marketed as electric-powered. That would go along with the rest of the animal-named vehicles: Mustang, Bronco, Maverick, etc. I don't think Pinto name is coming back but would be better used for an electric vehicle off the new EV architecture with the old retro styling.
I hope the Pinto doesn't come back, but if it does...think Honda Urban EV competitor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hope the Pinto doesn't come back, but if it does...think Honda Urban EV competitor.
I am a bit torn on whether or not Pinto name should be re-used. The old reputation may have ruined the name forever. However, if name does come back, it would be better suited as an EV. Yes, the competitor of Honda Urban EV would make sense for Pinto EV. Just offer Pinto 2 door and 4 door with retro hatchback-ish CUV styling and market it an everyday driving kind of car rather than Mustang-inspired performance CUV with Mach-E. So buyers have variety of EVs to choose from with their own purposes. I can't wait and see what Ford has planned for its EVs lineup which hopefully will be announced or revealed within a year.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I am a bit torn on whether or not Pinto name should be re-used. The old reputation may have ruined the name forever. However, if name does come back, it would be better suited as an EV. Yes, the competitor of Honda Urban EV would make sense for Pinto EV. Just offer Pinto 2 door and 4 door with retro hatchback-ish CUV styling and market it an everyday driving kind of car rather than Mustang-inspired performance CUV with Mach-E. So buyers have variety of EVs to choose from with their own purposes. I can't wait and see what Ford has planned for its EVs lineup which hopefully will be announced or revealed within a year.

Ford and VW are taking different approach to EVs. VW want everything electric in the near future, from small mainstream hatchs to big luxury ones. Ford will take a more conservative way, producing first performance vehicles at a higher price. Ford is pursuing profits. VW is looking for volume.

I dont see a urban small EV from Ford in the near future.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ford and VW are taking different approach to EVs. VW want everything electric in the near future, from small mainstream hatchs to big luxury ones. Ford will take a more conservative way, producing first performance vehicles at a higher price. Ford is pursuing profits. VW is looking for volume.

I dont see a urban small EV from Ford in the near future.
"Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids, executives said."

With 16 fully electric vehicles planned by 2022 I think your above post is completely wrong! Between Ford and Lincoln you're not going to see 16 vehicles with none of them being a small (relatively) inexpensive vehicle.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
"Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids, executives said."

With 16 fully electric vehicles planned by 2022 I think your above post is completely wrong! Between Ford and Lincoln you're not going to see 16 vehicles with none of them being a small (relatively) inexpensive vehicle.

By 2022? That is in 24 months...or so. And we have not seen the first one yet. I doubt those 16 fully electric vehicles. We can count on 2, the Ford Mach 1 and its version of Lincoln. I do not see how we can have 14 more vehicles. I think that in China there could be 2 or 3 more with the help of local partners, but not Ford's original cars.

Anyway, the time will tell...

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you say that , in that form, I will not argue with you. Looks like you always are rigth...

And in América the name “Maverick” could be more linked to the compact car of the 70s, than with a rancher. But dont believe what I say... I’m european.
...there is nothing to argue about. That is the literal origin of the word. I don't know why you feel the need to be offended by facts.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/maverick

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
By 2022? That is in 24 months...or so. And we have not seen the first one yet. I doubt those 16 fully electric vehicles. We can count on 2, the Ford Mach 1 and its version of Lincoln.
People were saying 2 years ago that if Ford didn't have most of their linup electrified by now, they would be dead in the water. I think Fords approach makes sense when you consider every electric vehicle they sell at a loss now, takes away the sale of a profit making vehicle. Hybrids and low volume upmarket electrics are acceptable to Ford for now.
Time will tell, and I think the electrification of most vehicles will take longer than many expect, and there will be more mergers and brand shedding to come.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Electric cars are not profitable. Not yet. The EVs needs to be expensive, very expensive, like Tesla, to be profitable or almost profitable. VW is taking a big risk with the intention of made almost they entire line up electric as soon as by the end of the decade. Ford will built some EVs (an electric F series truck too), but not as soon as the executives are talking about it. 16 EVs for 2022? No! For sure not...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
...there is nothing to argue about. That is the literal origin of the word. I don't know why you feel the need to be offended by facts.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/maverick

Maverick in USA ( and others market like SouthAmerica):

Maverick in Europe:

Your Maverick can be correct, but the people remember the ones in the pics.

:wink2:

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
People were saying 2 years ago that if Ford didn't have most of their linup electrified by now, they would be dead in the water. I think Fords approach makes sense when you consider every electric vehicle they sell at a loss now, takes away the sale of a profit making vehicle. Hybrids and low volume upmarket electrics are acceptable to Ford for now.
Time will tell, and I think the electrification of most vehicles will take longer than many expect, and there will be more mergers and brand shedding to come.
Latest I heard is that Mach E will be in showrooms in 20 months. Anybody hear expected volumes?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
By 2022? That is in 24 months...or so. And we have not seen the first one yet. I doubt those 16 fully electric vehicles. We can count on 2, the Ford Mach 1 and its version of Lincoln. I do not see how we can have 14 more vehicles. I think that in China there could be 2 or 3 more with the help of local partners, but not Ford's original cars.

The end of 2022 is still 2022, so that'd be 36 months.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
"On April 15, Ford filed trademark applications for "Scout" and "Bronco Scout" in the U.S."

It sounds kinda weird to have both the "Bronco" and "Scout" names together.

As a refresher, the Scout was an off-roader built by International Harvester from 1961 to 1980, it's actually older than the Bronco.

It's like Ford filling a trademark application for a "Mustang Barracuda" (Iconic Ford model name + discontinued rival's model name).

41 - 60 of 121 Posts