1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Mondeo Hybrid Wins UK ‘Green’ Award
Nov-19-2014 3:00 AM ET
Ford

BRISTOL, England – The Ford Mondeo 2.0 Hybrid has won an award for being the ‘greenest’ large family car in the UK.

The new Ford model triumphed in the Next Green Car Awards 2014, organised by the Next Green Car website.

Announcing the award, Next Green Car commented: "Well done to Ford for bringing its hybrid know-how to the UK market. Helped by its EcoBoost engine, the Mondeo Hybrid delivers emissions just under the 100g CO2/km threshold."

Next Green Car made awards across eleven vehicle categories including Sports Utility Vehicles (SUV) and Light Commercial Vans (LCV). The eleven winners were selected from shortlists of thirty-six of the UK's greenest new cars of 2014, all selected for their environmental performance, level of innovation, value, drive experience and design.

Dr. Ben Lane, managing editor of Next Green Car said: "The 2014 winners reflect three key green car developments: the electrification of the drive-train (including fully electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids), the continuing improvements in fuel efficiency (for all fuels), and the realisation that petrols may have the environmental edge over diesels for urban use.

"While all the winners and commended entries are highly innovative in the power-train technologies they employ, they also share the objective of wanting to improve the driver experience. In the coming years, ergonomics is set to become as important as engineering in the drive to design green and efficient vehicles."

There was a second awards success for Ford, with theTransit Courier Kombi being ‘Recommended’ in the LCV category, with CO2 emissions of just 103 g/km.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
'While pricing has yet to be announced, the new Mondeo hybrid will be available as a saloon and estate shortly.'

NGC verdict: "Well done to Ford for bringing its hybrid know-how to the UK market. Helped by its EcoBoost engine, the Mondeo Hybrid delivers emissions just under the 100gCO2/km threshold."

- I think that is just an error. There is no EcoBoost engine on Ford hybrids.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the first Fusion-Hy...OOPS... Mondeo-Hybrid in th UK?
guessing: Yes
&
it will be very interesting to how it sells - esp % of total Fus...OOPS... Mondeo sales
&
wonder what other hybrids have been on the UK market and how THEY've sold?
There should be a high take rate for the hybrid version of the Mondeo sedan and estate, primarily because petrol engined cars emitting less than 100g/km CO2 Congestion Tax and VED Exempt. The congestion tax itself is 10 pounds(about $15US) daily. That could be up to $3,900 in savings annually for the congestion tax alone if one works in a city with the tax.

So not only is the 2015 Mondeo Hybrid a fantastic car, it's also going to save the owner quite a bit of money every year they own it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^WOW, I had no idea about how that congestion tax works**
&
(since I obviously don't keep up well enough)
is my impression correct that there's some severe charge for ENTERING London with a vehicle that emits carbon over some amount per whatever?
&
would an Energi (maybe one that could 'lock-out' the petrol engine) have any advantage over the Hybrid?

** strikes me as another way to accomplish The Same Thing our gov'ment tax rebates do

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^WOW, I had no idea about how that congestion tax works**
&
(since I obviously don't keep up well enough)
is my impression correct that there's some severe charge for ENTERING London with a vehicle that emits carbon over some amount per whatever?
&
would an Energi (maybe one that could 'lock-out' the petrol engine) have any advantage over the Hybrid?

** strikes me as another way to accomplish The Same Thing our gov'ment tax rebates do
Plug-in hybrid models don't impact the congestion tax because there is no way to ensure the vehicle is in EV mode while in the city, and the city/hwy hybrid mpg of the Fusion Energi is less than the hybrid model.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hybrids in the EU market in general are not sought after. Plug in Hybrids seem to garner more favorable opinions.
I do believe the UK buys more Hybrid vehicles then other EU markets.
The view point that I have read on forums commenting on hybrids is that why would one choose a hybrid over a diesel, with new
diesels emitting low CO2 then they hybrids.

Edit: just read that Netherlands is the #1 market for hybrid sales in EU with 4.5% of total passenger car sales. But they note one of the reasons is very generous financial incentives offered in the Netherlands for these vehicles.

I do not think the Mondeo hybrid will sell very well.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hybrids in the EU market in general are not sought after. Plug in Hybrids seem to garner more favorable opinions.
I do believe the UK buys more Hybrid vehicles then other EU markets.
The view point that I have read on forums commenting on hybrids is that why would one choose a hybrid over a diesel, with new
diesels emitting low CO2 then they hybrids.

Edit: just read that Netherlands is the #1 market for hybrid sales in EU with 4.5% of total passenger car sales. But they note one of the reasons is very generous financial incentives offered in the Netherlands for these vehicles.

I do not think the Mondeo hybrid will sell very well.
Ford just offered or is offering newer cleaner diesel engine options in Europe which should do very well. However, hybrid is able to better the CO2 emissions of diesel, along with being very quiet in hybrid mode, and silent with the ability to drive in EV mode. But it seems no matter how clean the diesel engine can be, it can't compete with the reality and perception of clean, quiet, electric power that hybrid + gas can provide. Especially in the UK where speeds are slower and the benefit of electric power and silent operation is magnified.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Bloggin, were did you read that the wagon will be offered as hybrid as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts