Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford Motor Co's Mullaly Losing Luxury of Time

Ford Motor Co. stunned the Motor City a year ago when it named an aerospace engineer with no automotive experience as its CEO. That just wasn't done around here.

It is now. Alan Mulally, 62, is no slave to Ford's insidious, insular culture, partly defined by the denial hastening the automaker's steady decline. Nor is he a "car guy." But he is an accomplished businessman, which is a good thing if the goal is to forge a sustainable enterprise from the shrinking shell of Ford.

A year ago this week, Ford Chairman Bill Ford Jr. was preparing to essentially fire himself as CEO to make way for Mulally, a 37-year Boeing Co. veteran who guided the aerospace giant's commercial aviation unit through the dark aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, shrank its operations and put it on its current growth track.

Link
Detroit News

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford Motor Co's Mullaly loosing Luxury of time

I swear the media is ADHD regarding the topic of AM and Ford righting itself overnight. Substantial change requires substantial time. Bottom line.
A concept-to-production takes many years, so whatever AM has up his sleeve (short of name changes) will be a long time coming... and re-thinking your processes for improved quality takes re-training everyone and then finally implementation into these heavily revised cultures. It's a long road for a long term strategy. One year is nothing. Check back again in 4 years.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Re: Ford Mullaly loosing Luxury of time

I swear the media is ADHD regarding the topic of AM and Ford righting itself overnight. Substantial change requires substantial time. Bottom line.
A concept-to-production takes many years, so whatever AM has up his sleeve (short of name changes) will be a long time coming... and re-thinking your processes for improved quality takes re-training everyone and then finally implementation into these heavily revised cultures. It's a long road for a long term strategy. One year is nothing. Check back again in 4 years.
Wow, that was a good read!!. It seems the inside of Ford is full of underperforming , dead weights that are no good for the company. There must be a company culture entrenched that is not good for growth, its more like a peer system, (my father introduced me to the boss who hired me) sort of work place.
Like the DMV
I beleive is CTYankee who articulated well the same thoughts here. There is definately a cultural flaw within Ford and Detroit in General that got the Big three where they are today.

Take for example, the new Focus, the Aura, the Serbring, etc.. vs, something like the sonata.. Why the heck does someone bring to market something that is not going to make people leave their old cars and want to get into your offerings. Then you are left with the Marketing types trying to sell, something that is not going anywhere.
If I was Detroit, I would be making the best, at least in stlye, features and warranty.

If they cannot compete on quality, at least compete with features, throw in Navigation as standard, or something like that, or blue tooth.. for crying out loud.

Detroit has not acknowledged yet, that they are fighting for their very existance. UAW, and everyone else keeps going on with life as usual.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Too many inside Ford do not seem to see the real picture and many comments in this article should be drummed into the ones at Ford who seem to be in a fantasy world. A visit to BON forums shows many Ford fans that do not get the concept of what it is going to take to keep Ford in business, and fight anybody that complains or has similar comments made by the guy trying to right the ship Mr.Mulally. The comment from the article referring to taking off the rear-view mirrors and look forward says it in a very common sense fashion. As far as consumers giving Ford the time to prove itself with better and desireable models is not valid, and why should it be.The 1st line from the article I pasted below answers your comments "substantial time" Wingsnut and is reality the "bottom line".

He says the company needs to be run like a business, implying that it has acted more like an arm of government immune to the market realities of supply and demand, profit and loss.

Because no matter what Ford gains in talks now under way with the United Auto Workers, no matter how quickly the Blue Oval grows in China, Russia and Latin America, no matter how much Ford books on the sale of Jaguar, Land Rover and perhaps Volvo, its success will not be sustainable its success will not be sustainable if more Americans don't buy its cars and trucks.

The boss may not be a marketing guy, but he can read numbers, and they aren't going in the right direction.

"Ford needs 100 Alans," says another source who has worked closely with Mulally. "They need people who are going to question why they do things the way they do. They need to take off the rearview mirrors and start looking out through the windshield at the road ahead and drive past the competition."

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Too many inside Ford do not seem to see the real picture and many comments in this article should be drummed into the ones at Ford who seem to be in a fantasy world. A visit to BON forums shows many Ford fans that do not get the concept of what it is going to take to keep Ford in business, and fight anybody that complains or has similar comments made by the guy trying to right the ship Mr.Mulally. The comment from the article referring to taking off the rear-view mirrors and look forward says it in a very common sense fashion. As far as consumers giving Ford the time to prove itself with better and desireable models is not valid, and why should it be.The 1st line from the article I pasted below answers your comments "substantial time" Wingsnut and is reality the "bottom line".

He says the company needs to be run like a business, implying that it has acted more like an arm of government immune to the market realities of supply and demand, profit and loss.

Because no matter what Ford gains in talks now under way with the United Auto Workers, no matter how quickly the Blue Oval grows in China, Russia and Latin America, no matter how much Ford books on the sale of Jaguar, Land Rover and perhaps Volvo, its success will not be sustainable its success will not be sustainable if more Americans don't buy its cars and trucks.

The boss may not be a marketing guy, but he can read numbers, and they aren't going in the right direction.

"Ford needs 100 Alans," says another source who has worked closely with Mulally. "They need people who are going to question why they do things the way they do. They need to take off the rearview mirrors and start looking out through the windshield at the road ahead and drive past the competition."
This site seems to have people who do not see things as they are. There is a certain naivity among we domestic car fans, that, Domestics are as good if not better than imports, and somehow, others cannot see it.
With that illusion, we also keep our old fueds going, (Camaro Vs. Mustang Mentality) as if toyota does not exist.
:D
It seems this sickness permiates the entire car industry in the US. They put out also runs and think they are really good.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
This site seems to have people who do not see things as they are. There is a certain naivity among we domestic car fans, that, Domestics are as good if not better than imports, and somehow, others cannot see it.
With that illusion, we also keep our old fueds going, (Camaro Vs. Mustang Mentality) as if toyota does not exist.
It seems this sickness permiates the entire car industry in the US. They put out also runs and think they are really good.

Hear that everyone, we are all naive and ill-informed. Just ask anyone over at GMi or Toyotanation:(

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Speak for yourself. Every time I have tried to acknowledge anything good about the Accord or the Camry I have the dogs released on me. No one acknowledges Toyota, Honda and what they represent more than me.

But I don't think that this is not the point MKII is trying to make, but rather that there is a disconnection between the reality and the way many Ford "deciders" think. This is nothing new as we all know that one of Mulally's toughest jobs has been to change Ford's corporate culture. Will he do it on time, that seems to be the question.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Speak for yourself. Every time I have tried to acknowledge anything good about the Accord or the Camry I have the dogs released on me. No one acknowledges Toyota, Honda and what they represent more than me.

But I don't think that this is not the point MKII is trying to make, but rather that there is a disconnection between the reality and the way many Ford "deciders" think. This is nothing new as we all know that one of Mulally's toughest jobs has been to change Ford's corporate culture. Will he do it on time, that seems to be the question.

Very well said SobeSVT. The other issue is that this mentality is not just deciders inside Ford, but many outside of Ford that for some reason want to protect this disconnection to no ends, with nasty insults, name calling, and to the point of saying you are anti-American.
I am glad their are people with the fortitude of a Mr.Mulally to give it his best shot. Takes alot guts going into the trenches of a company such as Ford Mo.Co.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts