Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Mustang

The Ford Mustang is our 2015 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Award Best of the Year and for many reasons.

There’s the total chassis reboot with standard independent rear suspension that helps the Mustang cling to the road like never before. There’s the new EcoBoost turbo-I4 power to not only boost fuel economy here, but to give the new Mustang real global appeal. And, don’t forget the vastly and smartly upgraded interior.

They all play a part, yes. But, the biggest reason for our accolade, Ford has matured the Mustang from a piece of well-loved American muscle car into a world-class sports car looking to compete with the likes of Corvette more so than traditional rivals like Camaro and Challenger. Okay, it’s not quite there yet, but Ford has essentially taken what was already our favorite pony car and made it worlds better.

Usually when a car gets as much hype as this sixth gen Mustang, it rarely lives up to it. Not the case here, as every version we’ve driven, we’ve found better than advertised.

Sure, the incredible stable new chassis helps it handle better, and the 2.3-liter turbo-4 is cool. But it’s just one of 3 engine choices that get over 300-horsepower. The standard 3.7-liter V6 carries over, and the 5.0-liter V8 gets even more power, now at 435.

As for that interior, while the classic layout stays familiar; the switchgear, seats, and most materials are better than anything else in the current Ford brand lineup, and blows everyone else in this segment away.

The same can be said for the exterior. You instantly know its pure Mustang, yet it’s modernly different.

The 2015 Ford Mustang is not just a redesign, but a restart for the icon. It shows that while Ford has a great sense of history and admiration for what the Mustang has done for the brand, they are not standing still; rather looking forward.

We know there’s a new Camaro just around the corner, but it’s going to have to be pretty special if it wants to stop Ford’s new ‘stang…our 2015 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Award Best of the Year!

For full web page (as well as individual category winners): http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/drivers_choice_awards/#/best-of-the-year

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally, the F-150 was named "Best Truck." Here is a small write-up on that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford F-150

There was more pickup truck news this go around than any year in recent memory. But, how could we not give our Best Pickup Truck award to the one all-new design that is a true game-changer, the Ford F-150.

Whether you’re talking about its aluminum body, 700-pound weight saving, or it’s availability of not one, but two turbocharged V6s; with a resulting big jump in fuel economy, it’s a watershed moment for full-size pickup trucks. One that, 50 years from now, will have people looking back and saying this is when the American family favorite changed forever.

But besides the lower weight and higher tech, it’s still a truck, built for truck-type things like towing over 12,000–pounds, hitting the trail, and getting work done.

And there are plenty of useful features available to help make that work feel a lot less like actual work.

It’s a bold step for Ford that should keep the F-150 the number one selling vehicle in America for as far down the road as we can see.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No new information here or anything, but I have always respected Motorweek. Their reviews are the most factual and unbiased around. Nowadays when media like Car and Driver and Motortrend seem to get off on making crappy jokes and puns all throughout their "journalism," it's good to still have a reliable source with straightforward writing and videoing. So I thought you all might want to know about this recognition!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new F150 looks great with the blacked out grill and trim, yet when they're chrome I don't care for it at all.
Totally agree! That said:

I like this:

I DO NOT like this:

....... unless it's blacked out in which case it's the best looking of them all haha

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Regarding the Mustang, is anybody else finding them disappointing in person? I'm actually finding myself liking the looks of the previous version far better in person.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding the Mustang, is anybody else finding them disappointing in person? I'm actually finding myself liking the looks of the previous version far better in person.
I am finding them disappointing when they have 18s. the 19s look good but the 20s set off the design BIG TIME. I thing higher end trims on the S550 blow last-gen out of the water, but base model for base model, the old ones seem a tad sharper.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think they need to redesign the front fascia, but the rest is a familiar evolution and sharpening of a recognizable design. It's a car sold on its classic image more than anything.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they need to redesign the front fascia, but the rest is a familiar evolution and sharpening of a recognizable design. It's a car sold on its classic image more than anything.
That's true, but imho only to some degree. Its 'classic image' is part of it being an icon of the automotive world, yes. Whether or not you consider its 'iconic' status as solely determined by its style is up to you. But in my opinion it doesn't sell because it's classic or iconic. It's classic and iconic because it sold/sells so well. Styling is a part of this obviously, but it's the bang-for-the-buck that drives Mustang sales so well. You are definitely right to a large degree though! A lot of people will spend the money for how cool it looks (classic I suppose). But considering the new car looks a lot less like the 60's cars than the S197s and the nameplate just had its best monthly sales numbers since 2005 I believe, the other factors that make it such a great car to buy are seeping through to the general public.

'Car kids' anywhere between 10-14 years old will never know the Mustang as a straight line car, which is pretty cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts