·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All New Design Now with IRS
FordInsideNews
December 4, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

After an almost never ending wait and numerous embargo breaks giving us teasers, here it is: The All-New 2015 Ford Mustang!

Technically in its sixth generation, Ford did not want to disappoint in any aspect of the car. Our first peak of course happened with the Evos Concept two years ago and now we get to see the real thing. As it turns out, many of the performance rumors turned out to be true.

Exterior wise, the Evos Concept gave a very good preview. The hood and overall profile are shared between the concept and production Mustang. Up front, the traditional Mustang front end is clearly there with a modern interpretation of the 1969-1970 front end. While V6 versions have a full honeycomb grill, GT models carry the partial honeycomb grill with columns on either side.

The bulging hood ought to give enough room for some great engines. This will also probably come in handy for the strict pedestrian crash laws in Europe. GT models carry hood scopes on either side much like the current model.

The tail shares a lot of styling with the current Mustang with the slanted sequential taillights. However, there is now a lot more detail to them as they project from the body. The area around the tailpipes also received more detail with the plastic molding and paint. For GT models, the traditional horse decal gives way to a "GT" decal on the black surface in between the taillights.

The interior shares a lot of styling with the current Mustang as well with its retro, yet modernized, styling. The interior definitely looks to be of a better quality. The driver information center screen is the same as in other Fords, the center stack looks like something out an airplane. Going from driver to the passenger side, a piece of what we are betting is real aluminum takes up a huge space much like older models.

Now for what matters most: The Performance!

All-new for the sixth generation Mustang and not seen under a model since the 1990s SVT Cobra is an independent rear suspension, or IRS. This ought to provide a better ride and handling especially in corners compared to the current solid axle. Also helping performance, the Mustang went on a 200 pound diet from last year's model with the help of some panels being made out of aluminum.

Of course the IRS means nothing if you do not have enough power to it. Powering the Mustang will be three engine choices. The current 3.7L V6 and 5.0L V8 carry over from the current Mustang with improvements. All-new for 2015 will be the previously debuted 2.3 I4 EcoBoost engine. This engine debuted last month on the Lincoln MkC. The 2.3 I4 EB will make over 300 hp in its rear-drive form.

These are the only three engines being released now. Later on, the new GT350, we don't know if "Shelby" will stay, will carry some turbocharged form of the 5.0L V8.

Available on both the 2.3L I4 EB and 5.0L V8 will be a track pack, which will add extra suspension tuning and brake rotors.

Expect the all-new 2015 Mustang to be on sale in North America in late 2014 with global sales starting after. All production will take place at the current plant in Flat Rock, Michigan.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Absolutely amazing - stunning - so many small details to take in.

Over at Chevrolet they have to be scrambling to replace that overweight door stop that now looks like something you'd get from the Dollar Store!

MUSTANG IS BACK! Chevrolet owners better get used to those new tail lights - they'll be seeing a lot of that view of a Mustang!

Kudos Ford!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I like it! A lot! It has camaro-ish rear fenders but better and looks like more of a 2+2 but that's ok with me. Now to see it in person.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Looks great outside, and technologically it's very interesting and in stark contrast to the low-tech agricultural Mustang we've been use to for decades. I think Ford has finally made a Mustang I can buy!

The interior is absolutely nuts however, far to over designed with just terrible switchgear.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great looking car ~ nice job Ford. I can't wait to see it up close (in white) and take a test drive.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Oh my God! Really beauty beast. I like it a lot

But, is this a Ford? No single blue oval badge On the car....

Mustang sub-brand coming?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts