Ford Inside News banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Cutting models is normal for any company but Ford will just walk away from segments instead of adapting. The Ranger is an example, Ford could've developed the new one for the US but their short term profit hunger made them lose sight on a buyer base that was there. Not to mention the fact they made no significant updates to the last Ranger for almost 20 years. Ford killing sedans will another thing they will have to go back on when someone more clever finds a way to make the segment viable. I really believe it's more perception of value in CUVs vs sedans is hurting sales of cars recently. Instead of Ford recognizing that they misjudged the market by thinking people wanted premium sedans, they just drop the model. So when the next oil crisis or environmental crisis happens you think the public will want an suv?
It's got nothing to do with sales of sedans, for Pete's sake, it's all about the money.
How can anyone think otherwise.

As far as Ranger, let's be honest, sales will be modest, relative to F series, as will profit. So their killing it in the first place, again, was all about the money. It's that simple.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's got nothing to do with sales of sedans, for Pete's sake, it's all about the money.
How can anyone think otherwise.

As far as Ranger, let's be honest, sales will be modest, relative to F series, as will profit. So their killing it in the first place, again, was all about the money. It's that simple.
Of course it's a profit motive nobody is oblivious to that. You're missing the business decisions that constantly have Ford ending then reintroducing a new gen a decade later. Who else is doing that?

If Ford isn't going to make enough profit to sustain the new Ranger why produce them? That's bad for business.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for your opinions, but I completely disagree on pretty much every word you said.

As for the Focus, I was quite clear I was talking about sedan and hatch.
Try to keep up.
What exactly do you disagree with?

everything seems pretty accurate to me.:thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
What exactly do you disagree with?

everything seems pretty accurate to me.
Suuuure, coming from a guy who believes Ford is dead soon, I will just have to file most of your opinions in the circular file bin./forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_kiss.png
So are you willing to admit that the upcoming Ranger is a bad business decision or that Ford made a mistake ending production instead of joining the global Ranger?

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
So are you willing to admit that the upcoming Ranger is a bad business decision or that Ford made a mistake ending production instead of joining the global Ranger?
Who said new Ranger is a bad business decision?

Certainly not me.

And killing old Ranger in NA was a bad decision, who said it was not?

Certainly not me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Who said new Ranger is a bad business decision?

Certainly not me.

And killing old Ranger in NA was a bad decision, who said it was not?

Certainly not me.
Ok, so you agree with me that Ford makes hasty decisions for short term profits.

Which brings us back to the subject of the thread. Ford's inability to plan out products long term is why the mustang is an orphan car. They chose to keep Mustang on a platform with no IRS or awd when they had a stronghold on that segmemt and could've made it harder for others to counter.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Ok, so you agree with me that Ford makes hasty decisions for short term profits.

Which brings us back to the subject of the thread. Ford's inability to plan out products long term is why the mustang is an orphan car. They chose to keep Mustang on a platform with no IRS or awd when they had a stronghold on that segmemt and could've made it harder for others to counter.
What you call orphan, I call optimized platform.

Hey, maybe Ford could have compromised the platform for Mustang to include it as a luxury sport sedan. Worked out great for Camaro and CT6.....as they are about to kill the poor selling CT6.

Brilliant.

Maybe, just maybe......Ford knows their business better than forum hacks with opinions.

ya think

·
Registered
157 Posts

Hey, maybe Ford could have compromised the platform for Mustang to include it as a luxury sport sedan. Worked out great for Camaro and CT6.....as they are about to kill the poor selling CT6.

Brilliant.

Maybe, just maybe......Ford knows their business better than forum hacks with opinions.

ya think
How are Ford Sales doing these days?

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
How are Ford Sales doing these days?
I see, so you completely ignored my remark about Mustang shared platform huh, you know, the subject of this thread. Pretty weak and obvious.

Oh and look, you moved onto sales.

Ok then, let's talk sales. First of all, as a Ford employee, I benefit from increased profit, not increased sales. So personally, I could care less if their numbers are down at the moment.

But with all new Bronco, Bronco II, Ranger, Escape, Explorer, Aviator, GT500, Corsair as well as next gen hybrids.....all of which are serious high margin products.....I would not worry too much about sales or profits.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I see, so you completely ignored my remark about Mustang shared platform huh, you know, the subject of this thread. Pretty weak and obvious.

Oh and look, you moved onto sales.

Ok then, let's talk sales. First of all, as a Ford employee, I benefit from increased profit, not increased sales. So personally, I could care less if their numbers are down at the moment.

But with all new Bronco, Bronco II, Ranger, Escape, Explorer, Aviator, GT500, Corsair as well as next gen hybrids.....all of which are serious high margin products.....I would not worry too much about sales or profits.
Will ford let those products stagnate for 8-9 year before they are replaced? if so, I would be very worried about profits.

When have hybrids been high margin products for Ford?

Am I the only person with their mind blown by how old the Ranger is even before goes on sale? :frown2:

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Will ford let those products stagnate for 8-9 year before they are replaced? if so, I would be very worried about profits.

Am I the only person with their mind blown by how old the Ranger is even before goes on sale? :frown2:

You are still living in the past regarding stagnated product. The 90's called, and want you back.

New hybrid strategy is power and economy boost for Lincoln's and the same for Explorer, Ranger, Bronco and Expedition, but biased a bit for FE. Do you really think there is no profit in these products?

And I noticed you have no words about all the new products boosting sales.

Sorry bud, you are clearly here to troll Ford fans not discuss, and I have wasted my time enough.

Good evening.

·
Registered
867 Posts
All of us are "forum hacks with opinions." Being a Ford employee makes no difference other than possibly fostering an understandable tendency to defend almost any Ford business decision. Some forum hacks don't defend Ford and some forum hacks do.

Are there any heavy-hitters in Ford's upper ranks of executives posting here?

So, IMO, It's not about the money. Ford makes plenty of money and always has. Ford made profits from sedan sales as well, just not enough to satisfy the bloodsuckers on Wall Street. IMO, too many of the most influential Ford shareholders care more about the stock than about the product. So, IMO, Ford made many business decisions that attempted to entice the bloodsuckers into rating their stock higher in order to attract investors, rather than decisions that would entice more customers to buy their product. Less R&D boosts profits in the short term (the only term the bloodsuckers really care about) but starves product development. For example, Ford milked CD4, IMO, until it was obsolete and then milked it some more.

Unfortunately, Wall Street did not reward these business decisions. Then an upstart, disruptor appeared and became the new darling of the bloodsuckers. So Ford made more business decisions to try to win back the bloodsuckers' love. Moves like firing their perfectly capable car-guy CEO and hiring a cabinetmaker in his place. How's that working out, shareholders?

Ford invested heavily in their biggest seller, the F-150 and that is to their credit. IMO, Mustang got short shrift with poor platform decisions ("optimized" because it didn't require much investment) but remained a best-seller because other aspects of the model received investment and because it was/is Ford's only desirable, aspirational model that's not a truck/SUV/CUV. Hotchkiss rear axles on a car well into the 21st century and the current lack of an AWD option (the purists and drag racers don't have to check this one off) is inexcusable. IMO, Mustang, though very popular, is ceding sales in the snow-belt to competitors, foreign and domestic.

IMO, it's too late to speculate on a 4-door sports sedan on a Mustang platform. That flight has left the gate.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts

No. You are not alone. You think the Ranger is old, because the Ranger is really old. A new one will come in less than 3 years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
[

Brilliant.

ya think
CTS, ATS, ATS coupe, Camaro, upcoming CT4 and CT5. That's not a bad number of products off one platform. Those alpha cars will be around while the CD4 cars are going away.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
No. You are not alone. You think the Ranger is old, because the Ranger is really old. A new one will come in less than 3 years.
Yet amazingly, it looks to be very competative against the competition.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Yet amazingly, it looks to be very competative against the competition.
The sheet metal is mostly old, as is the interior, but the frame is radically new, the engine and transmission is entirely new (to Ranger anyway and a perfect combo), even the suspension and interior have been updated as well. But the fact that there are none on American roads, means that it is fresh enough as it will get a quick update . Besides, better this now than just wait for all new in 3 years.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wow, the doom-and-gloom troll brigade is out in force!

I gotta say...just dismissing a Ford employee as a "hack opinion" is a sign of willful ignorance, as I've learned about a lot of upcoming products/changes from Wings and a few others over the years...but there is nothing to be learned from drool-soaked doom predictions coming from people that are consistent in cherry-picking what information they base their "points" on.

2018 has been a transition year for Ford, and the writing on the wall was in thick writing almost a year ago. A great deal of new product is right around the corner, but not happening in 2018...so it's a year light on years and long on babbling negativity.

Reminder: Wall Street generally hates Detroit, and doubly hates Ford for the family's controlling shares. Their praise is typically minimal, even when Ford has great sales/profits.

Therefore, I dismiss their prattle just as I mock the doom-and-gloom brigade for buying into any/every speck of potential negative Blue Oval speculation.

Seriously, trolls...if anyone needs constant babble that's largely based on ignorance and panic, I suggest C-SPAN.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Still no thoughts on how the failed CT6 is proof that Ford would have suffered a similar costly fate, had they followed the same path with a Mustang and shared premium sedan platform and spent serious capital to do so. Yup, crickets.

Easier to dump on Ford I guess.
*Cadillac is so stupid they made a placeholder car that they are going o replace with a another car. Bad business decision*

Soon as unfavourable facts on Ford are stated you deflect. GM makes stupid decisions also, are you judging Ford by their standard?

The point that you need to agree with is Ford doesn't utilize RWD platforms as good as every other company. Why is that?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.