Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD OF CANADA IS HIRING FOR MORE THAN 1,000 NEW JOBS AT OAKVILLE ASSEMBLY

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited’s Oakville Assembly plant will add more than 1,000 hourly jobs as it ramps up its transformation into one of Canada’s most competitive and advanced global manufacturing plants. Oakville Assembly will expand capabilities with new jobs added across the plant.

“The new 2015 Ford Edge sets a new standard in its class and will show countries around the world Canadian quality at its best,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of The Americas. “New jobs at Oakville Assembly will strengthen our investment in Canada and increase our capabilities as we gear up for one of the most anticipated launches at Ford.”

Added Dianne Craig, president and CEO, Ford of Canada, “Investment in auto manufacturing pays off, and Oakville Assembly is proof of that. Not only is the investment helping us meet much-needed capacity for high demand products produced in Canada, it’s creating jobs. It is a proud time at Ford of Canada as we welcome new employees to our team.”

In 2013, the company announced a C$700 million investment to convert Oakville Assembly into an advanced global manufacturing facility helping to meet growing demand in North America and around the world by producing vehicles with best-in-class quality, fuel efficiency, smart design and value. The new jobs will bring total employment at the plant to more than 4,000 by year-end. Ford already added 300 jobs in 2013 to meet growing consumer demand.

“The investments made by all stakeholders, Ford, the workers and government, in the Oakville transformation are paying off for Ontario and for Canada. The project is resulting in significant new jobs and generating enormous economic and fiscal benefits. This is a great example of why a national auto strategy really pays off for our whole economy,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor, national president.

Read more: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...10/01/1000-new-jobs-at-oakville-assembly.html

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I wish someone would just come out and say if the new CD4.2 platform is being used for the Xedge or if this is still the original CD3whatever
Not sure if this will help 2b2, but I asked this question to Geert van Noyen, vehicle dynamics manager, Ford of Europe.

Q-Is the new platform based on the EUCD or the CD3?

A- The platform we have on the outgoing Mondeo/S-MAX is the EUCD platform. We now moved to the NEW CD4 platform. The front end is similar but now has an Electric Steering versus hydraulic before. The rear axle is completely new. It keeps a lot of the learnings from EUCD but has better wheel recession, higher lateral stiffness and better road noise isolation. New S-MAX, new Galaxy, new Mustang and new Edge will also be based on this platform. (Geert Van Noyen)

When Geert included the Mustang in the group I replied with this question

Q- One question regarding the CD4 platform & new Mustang Mr.Van Noyen. Is this a mistake or is the new Mustang
really part of the CD4 program?

A - The Mustang uses the same rear axle concept as the Mondeo – Integral Link Rear Suspension. You are right, the platform is slightly different. Sorry for the confusion.

Geert

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Wow ...make that WOW!, MKII
& TY! :thumb: :thumb:
&
this exchange was text-chat? not verbal-in-person? right?

from this, I think I *Like* Mr. van Nuyen - he sounds truthful and levelheaded to the point of being politically-INcorrect ...in order to be scientifically/engineeringly Correct
(imho modern platforms share so much Architecture that they can most-All be considered related (no need to re-invent the wheel each time))

however
(being picky)
- the Xedge was never on EUCD. They've been built on a CD3 offshoot that's been said to be more similar to the Mazda CX9 than anything else, including the original CD3 MILAN/Zephyr-MKZ/Fusion

SO
re-THANKS
think Mr. vN. has finally convinced me (~95%..... -5% just on principal)
+
seems to answer some of the "How close to the S-Max is the new Xedges" question
answer: quite
&so
now what I want to know is if this Xedge-CD4-variant ("CD4.2" afaik) is closer to a family resemblance to the
- CD4 Zfusion?
- if there'll be a long wlb version for China? (that goes for Zfusion too!!)
- and how it will be related to other CD4-variants: Galaxy, MKS(wic)Taurus(wic), Explorer/Aviator/Flex?
- be 'nice' to know when those^^^ come out too!!

3-THANKS :thumb: &

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The communication was via email. I find when communicating with the FoE team they are very forthright with information. Not the usual
corporate fluff and stuff.

I also asked this question which was answered by Geert Van Noyen
Q - Who was assigned the lead development in chassis dynamics CD4, was it North America or FoE?
A- Geert Van Noyen from the FoE dynamics team in Lommel, Belgium, spent 3 years in the US and led the development of the vehicle dynamics alongside colleagues in North America. Since the introduction of the Fusion in 2013, the Mondeo has had additional chassis dynamics work done in Europe by Geert and the team at Lommel.

Also asked this question to Uli Koesters, European chief powertrain engineer
Q - What percentage of Mondeo AWD units does FoE anticipate to sell annually.
A - Mondeo with AWD will be available from April 2015. We will have more detail nearer that time, although we expect the take rate to be around 5%.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
re-TY :thumb:
...Also asked this question to Uli Koesters, European chief powertrain engineer
Q - What percentage of Mondeo AWD units does FoE anticipate to sell annually.
A - Mondeo with AWD will be available from April 2015. We will have more detail nearer that time, although we expect the take rate to be around 5%.
wouldn't be the first time they (Ford in general) were surprised by consumer demand imho
tho
since the climate varies so much: Sweden vs Greece....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts