Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Courtesy of Left Lane News.com

Ford’s Mercury division has been devoid of any new models for several years now – with suppliers revealing there is nothing in the pipeline beyond 2011 — prompting several rumors that Ford is planning to kill off its once-proud marque. But Ford has been consistent in its backing of Mercury, and a new report seems to confirm the Blue Oval’s allegiance.

According to Automotive News, Ford has handed over the reins for a future Mercury model to its European division. Ford has gone on record that the ‘new’ Mercury will consist of premium small cars, and it looks as though this is the first step towards that goal. And since Ford has no plans to sell its Mercury brand in Europe, the new model is expected to be headed State side.

But fans of Ford of Europe shouldn’t get too overly excited. While the next Mercury model will have strong European roots, it will not be a completely new model. In fact, the first small Mercury will likely be a rebadged version of the Euro-spec Ford Focus – a vehicle that is already headed to Ford showrooms in the U.S. Mercury-badged versions of the Ford Mondeo and Kuga are also said to be in the works.

So while Mercury’s future looks like it will still be filled with plenty of Ford re-badges, it’s good to hear that the brand actually has a future – especially with European influences.

LINK: http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-ford-of-europe-designing-future-mercury-model.html

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
INTERESTING News, Mr.SABLE!!!

...of course Mercury can teach the euro-designers a thing or 3million about how to do grilles & front fascias IMHO ;)

& tho I agree it's unlikely that Merc will invade Europe,
I could definitely see OUR Brand fitting into China and even Australian* markets very well

* got a feeling the guys down-under might respond better to a MERCURY MONDEO, S-MAX, etc. for some reason and that'd leave "Their Ford" to promote the Falcon with distinction...

One thing I DO Hope is that Mercurys get ALL the top-trim features current&planned for euro "saloons" & "monospaces"

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INTERESTING News, Mr.SABLE!!!

...of course Mercury can teach the euro-designers a thing or 3million about how to do grilles & front fascias IMHO ;)

& tho I agree it's unlikely that Merc will invade Europe,
I could definitely see OUR Brand fitting into China and even Australian* markets very well

* got a feeling the guys down-under might respond better to a MERCURY MONDEO, S-MAX, etc. for some reason and that'd leave "Their Ford" to promote the Falcon with distinction...

One thing I DO Hope is that Mercurys get ALL the top-trim features current&planned for euro "saloons" & "monospaces"
Oh yes they can teach 'em something about grilles and front fascias. I two could see our brand doing well in China.

I agree I think Mercury should definitely get all the top-trim features.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Ford’s Mercury division has been devoid of any new models for several years now – with suppliers revealing there is nothing in the pipeline beyond 2011 — prompting several rumors that Ford is planning to kill off its once-proud marque. But Ford has been consistent in its backing of Mercury, and a new report seems to confirm the Blue Oval’s allegiance.

According to Automotive News, Ford has handed over the reins for a future Mercury model to its European division. Ford has gone on record that the ‘new’ Mercury will consist of premium small cars, and it looks as though this is the first step towards that goal. And since Ford has no plans to sell its Mercury brand in Europe, the new model is expected to be headed State side.

But fans of Ford of Europe shouldn’t get too overly excited. While the next Mercury model will have strong European roots, it will not be a completely new model. In fact, the first small Mercury will likely be a rebadged version of the Euro-spec Ford Focus – a vehicle that is already headed to Ford showrooms in the U.S. Mercury-badged versions of the Ford Mondeo and Kuga are also said to be in the works.

So while Mercury’s future looks like it will still be filled with plenty of Ford re-badges, it’s good to hear that the brand actually has a future – especially with European influences.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-ford-of-europe-designing-future-mercury-model.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts