Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford offers auto writers a look at redesigned Mustang next week
Automotive News

DETROIT (Reuters) -- The long wait will be over soon for hard-core Mustang fans: Ford Motor Co. plans to unveil the next-generation 2015 Mustang later this year, several months ahead of the car's 50th anniversary, and has invited auto writers for a sneak peek next week.

The Mustang is getting its first complete overhaul since 2005, including a more modern design, a more nimble chassis and more efficient engines and transmissions intended to broaden the car's appeal outside its core American audience, according to sources familiar with Ford's plans.

The automaker has invited small numbers of automotive writers, including European media, to its Dearborn, Mich., headquarters for a sneak preview of the new Mustang, beginning next week, several sources said.

The writers have agreed not to reveal details of the car until Ford gives the nod -- but embargoes on new car models are routinely broken, so the first photos of the 2015 Mustang could leak ahead of the car's formal debut in December.

The 2015 model is slated to go on sale next summer.

The original Mustang was introduced at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964, to tremendous national fanfare. It was featured on the covers of both Time and Newsweek magazine, helping to cement the reputation of Ford's then-sales boss, Lee Iacocca, and was purchased by more than half a million customers in 1965, its first full year on the market.

When it was last redesigned eight years ago, the Mustang took a step backward in time, with a retro design that has attracted fewer and fewer buyers. Sales last year totaled just 82,995 and were down another 11.5 percent through September.

The automaker is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a ground-up redesign of the car. The 2015 model will be the first Mustang aimed at global markets, notably Europe, Japan and Australia.

To enhance its appeal to prospective U.S. and overseas buyers, Ford is overhauling nearly every inch of the car, the sources said.

Read more........:

·
Registered
89 Posts
In addition to an IRS, I hope it gains an integrated antenna and a wheel that both tilts and telescopes. Of course, I want all these improvements without breaking the bank. I also hope Ford continues all the great option packages. I've lost count of how many times I've configured a 2014 V6 Mustang coupe with the handling and appearance packages. :facepalm:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
of course it will

tho I have no idea what FORD means by debut (this time)
I still like my old idea of a showing a special form of the S550 at NAIAS
(like those first 1000 built 2014.5s)
then show the "regular" models in NYC WHICH co-incidentally starts on April18th
(don't remember if that's for press or public)(who can google the quickest?)

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
maybe they start selling the vehicles in April?
edit: Seemingly confirming what we heard earlier in the week, Reuters is reporting that the 2015 Ford Mustang will get its official debut before the end of this year. Although it's not clear in what type of setting (public, media, etc.) the Mustang will be unveiled, Ford is still planning a major introduction for it at the 2014 New York Auto Show, which just happens to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Mustang's original debut at the 1964 World's Fair in New York.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/17/2015-ford-mustang-revealed-december/

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
of course it will

tho I have no idea what FORD means by debut (this time)
I still like my old idea of a showing a special form of the S550 at NAIAS
(like those first 1000 built 2014.5s)
then show the "regular" models in NYC WHICH co-incidentally starts on April18th
(don't remember if that's for press or public)(who can google the quickest?)
April 18 is the first day of the NYC auto show, it is a "press day" not public :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the press gets a look at the car next week, there has to be photos of the car the following week. Maybe close up of lights, grille and other pieces of the car.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^ the trial a week later
&
execution the week after that

I *really* don't expect (unapproved) pix...
...what with the cavity-search policy and all
There won't be any pics coming from the showing but you know at some point before its public reveal some definitive renders will go public much like happened with the Vette.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford Keeps Mustang, F-150 Plans Secret From Its Dealers - blogs.WSJ
Mike Ramsey
October 18, 2013

Thousands of dealers flew into Las Vegas this week for a big meeting with Ford Motor Co. executives, hoping for a sneak peek at the two most important vehicles Ford’s expected to launch next year, the redesigned Mustang muscle car and the F-150 pickup truck.

After signing confidentiality agreements and filing into the ballroom at Caesar’s Palace, dealers were told … nothing. Instead, Ford showed them a 15-passenger version of its forthcoming Transit van and promised a freshening next year on the Ford Focus.

Ford executives at the meeting refused to acknowledge that the company is even working on a new Mustang and F-150 – a brushoff automotive journalists have come to expect, but not the company’s own dealers, one dealer said...

...Another dealer was particularly irritated after reading a Reuters report that select journalists will get to preview the Mustang next week in Dearborn. Ford declined to comment on either the dealer meeting or the Mustang report...

More...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
^ well, Jose
there're posts at Mustang6g.com that Job1 isn't until late summer
WHICH
imho might be part of the "deliberate misdirection" I mentioned before
Any chance what we'll see in December is a lightly disguised/ dressed-up 2015 Mustang in the form of a Concept car? ...then what we'll see in April 2014 will be the production version of 2015 Mustang?
Hmmmm...

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Did Ford say they were going to show F series and Mustang, and then did not?
If so I would be pissed. Ford has showed its employees, so why not dealers at this point.

Mustang looks pretty dang close to current Mustang anyways, it’s not some revolutionary design, just evolutionary….or evos-lutionary.
And the trucks looks almost identical to the concept. When I saw it, I thought it was in fact.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Instead, Ford showed them a 15-passenger version of its forthcoming Transit van and promised a freshening next year on the Ford Focus.
I hope the freshened Focus does not follow the Fiesta and adopt the Electric Focus front. I'd rather see a hint of the next styling direction or something along the lines of the coming Edge.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Did Ford say they were going to show F series and Mustang, and then did not?
If so I would be pissed. Ford has showed its employees, so why not dealers at this point.
Carmakers who are dealing from a position of strength can afford to be picky about where, when, and how they reveal future product to the public and dealers. Back in the Bad Old Days at GM we had to telegraph the debut of the Camaro from several years out because at the time we didn't know if we had a choice. Thankfully, the gamble paid off in that case.

If Ford refused to debut the new F-150 and Mustang to it's dealers it's a particularly strange move, since they have already showed the Atlas well in advance, and the time is ripe for the dealers to see what the Mustang they're gonna be selling is going to look like. I'm guessing that there's some serious debate going on behind the scenes about both moves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts