Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Into SUVs? Ford Allegedly Planning A V8 Four-Door Mustang

Image: http://xtomi.blogspot.com/2017/01/ford-mustang-gt-sedan.html
It could be America's answer to the Porsche Panamera.
Story: http://xtomi.blogspot.com/2017/01/ford-mustang-gt-sedan.html

Anthony Karr

Ford’s plans to reshuffle its entire model lineup in the United States and focus on SUVs, crossovers, and pickups are no longer a secret, but, apparently, the only car name to survive at this side of the pond, the Mustang, will have a much more important role than initially believed. Aside from the standard Mustang two-door sports car, Ford is allegedly planning to offer a four-door Mustang coupe-style sedan to its customers.

During a major meeting with dealers earlier this month, where Ford previewed the 2020 Shelby GT500, the automaker also dropped “a few major hints” about the future of the Mustang, according to Mustang 6G. The most interesting part of the presentation included information about a four-door Mustang powered by a turbo V8 engine and aimed against the Porsche Panamera, Audi A7, and the likes.

The future of the Mustang:

That’s virtually all the information we have so far, but Mustang 6G claims this is a separate vehicle from the all-electric SUV, which was announced earlier this year. It won't be named Mach1 and is set to take design cues from the current Mustang, and we even have a pretty good idea of what it could look like.

It is also reported the V8 of the still unconfirmed new Mustang will go turbocharged using technologies similar to the ones seen in the smaller EcoBoost motors. The 5.0-liter unit should adopt a twin-turbo layout with one turbocharger for each cylinder bank.

Logic tells us, if the four-door, twin-turbo Mustang receives the production green light, we will probably have to wait until the next generation Mustang arrives to see it. Also, we wouldn’t rule out seeing the turbo V8 under the hood of the two-door Mustang at some point.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The biggest problem I see with this idea is that Porsche is planning for the next gen Panamera to be electric, so hopefully the V8 nonsense gets updated to using the EV platform that should be under the new performance EV. Unless that is what the article is actually taking about. But it's Ford so who knows. Because this should be a Lincoln.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The biggest problem I see with this idea is that Porsche is planning for the next gen Panamera to be electric.
So the next Panamera will just be a marginally bigger Taycan… not unless they plan to make the next Panamera even bigger to put a gap between the two.

My guess, if there will ever be a 4-door Mustang, it will probably have a conventional powerplant and a hybrid version.

Off-topic: Maybe Ford should have just brought back Mercury and re-brand it as an EV-only range of Ford vehicles.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have no problem with a four door Mustang to take on the A7 and Panamera. Plus the rumors of a turbo V8, wondering if that may be around 4.0 and be a replacement for the Coyote in the GT?

Definitely needs to be a Lincoln version if this comes to fruition, preferably an EV.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
4 Door with a usable rear seat, RWD platform with electric front AWD option, 10 speed auto with 2.3L GTDI with PHEV that offers both thrust and fuel economy. Sounds like a high volume winner to me. Plug in weekdays to save fuel, and use that aux power for drag racing on weekends. What’s not to like. One can hope.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
4 Door with a usable rear seat, RWD platform with electric front AWD option, 10 speed auto with 2.3L GTDI with PHEV that offers both thrust and fuel economy. Sounds like a high volume winner to me. Plug in weekdays to save fuel, and use that aux power for drag racing on weekends. What’s not to like. One can hope.

The car you describe is a winner. And a sure winner if share the Mustang design and style.

·
Registered
866 Posts
IMO, this 4-door would be better for the Mustang image if it wasn't a Mustang. The only problem is that they couldn't sell it in Europe if it came out as a Lincoln only model. Poor Lincoln; shoved to the back burner again. There probably will be a Lincoln version but it will only be seen - again - as merely another gussied-up Ford.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
IMO, this 4-door would be better for the Mustang image if it wasn't a Mustang. The only problem is that they couldn't sell it in Europe if it came out as a Lincoln only model. Poor Lincoln; shoved to the back burner again. There probably will be a Lincoln version but it will only be seen - again - as merely another gussied-up Ford.
If this 4-door is on a stretched Mustang platform, I see no reason that we could not get a longer coupe out of it as well.
4-door = Falcon
Coupe = Thunderbird

·
Registered
546 Posts
Terrible idea that will return little value. The Model S sports a margin over 30% using Tesla Gen 2 tech. The revamp will be on Gen 4 tech. At the price a GT4 would run, Tesla can sell a much faster more efficient AWD 100kWh sedan with 360-400 mi of range. It won't stand a chance.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Terrible idea that will return little value. The Model S sports a margin over 30% using Tesla Gen 2 tech. The revamp will be on Gen 4 tech. At the price a GT4 would run, Tesla can sell a much faster more efficient AWD 100kWh sedan with 360-400 mi of range. It won't stand a chance.
Assuming it would be their only 4 door sedan in the showroom, I would say it would be quite popular.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I have no problem with a four door Mustang to take on the A7 and Panamera. Plus the rumors of a turbo V8, wondering if that may be around 4.0 and be a replacement for the Coyote in the GT?

Definitely needs to be a Lincoln version if this comes to fruition, preferably an EV.
If they want a sedan to compete with the Panamera and A7 they should make a Lincoln version instead of a Mustang sedan! But it seems that Ford is going to do it. Seems that Ford doesn't really know what to do next with Lincoln, if they keep it like now maybe Lincoln is going to join Mercury

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't agree with the idea of a 4 door Mustang. It ruins the identity of the Mustang as a sport cars. Give it the Thunderbird name or some Ford iconic name.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Why an ultra low volume Lincoln, instead of a high volume affordable Ford?

Well, see...here's the issue:

if they really want it to be a competitor for high-end "4-door coupes", they'll have to decide between the blue-collar Mustang heritage or taking the Mustang brand upmarket as a whole...which could murder America's foremost pony car.

IF the V8TT rumors are true (and I have to believe that Ford will eventually throw turbos on a V8), that would be a $60K and up Mustang sedan, which would definitely complicate the sub-brand's image a bit.

High-dollar specialty editions are one thing, but...I'm trying to understand how the (relatively) humble Mustang can go swimming in CLS and A7 waters.

Reactions: Andrew L

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Why an ultra low volume Lincoln, instead of a high volume affordable Ford?
Let's see.... an RWD sedan to compete with the A7 and the Porsche Panamera, both luxury sedans and luxury brands.....sure a better idea is a Ford instead of a Lincoln (Ford's luxury brand for your info)

I figure that you think as other Ford's managers and if you keep thinking this way Lincoln is not going to change its current ”state” of ultra-low volume. I mean you could do both but your way of thinking really worries me. If Lincoln only refreshes their lineup instead of launching new white space vehicles, they are not going to succeed.

As Zana said, I don't think a Mustang sedan can compete with high-end cars like A7, CLS, Panamera and AMG GT sedan

1 - 20 of 47 Posts