Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Why a low margin Ford, instead of a high margin Lincoln halo vehicle?

Why not both?

Builded on CD6 RWD architecture, Ford can make 2 vehicles and get more profits.

A 4-doors Mustang coupe could give Ford dealers that sedan that Ford customers want (some customers still want sedans). Some versions of this car can compete with some BMWs or Audis (the BMW M3 has been compared to the more sporty and powerful versions of the Mustang as the GT or the Bullit). A 4-doors Lincoln coupe can give Lincoln a vehicle that fit perfectly in the tipical luxury brand line up and can compete with those Audis, Porsches and BMWs if have the proper equipment and powerplant.

The other discussion is about that Mustang must be electrified. I agree... This suposed 4-doors Mustang needs to had some kind of electrification, maybe starting with a complementary electric batteries (hybrid version), complementary electric engines (later) and, maybe for the next gen, a completly electric version.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Why a low margin Ford, instead of a high margin Lincoln halo vehicle?

You said it, high margin.....which equals less access for folk and far fewer sold. Especially on a performance sedan that will get used as such.

As for halo......what car in the world has a better known name?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Why an ultra low volume Lincoln, instead of a high volume affordable Ford?
Isn't Ford giving up on high-volume, affordable cars in favor of higher-margin SUV/CUVs? Are you suggesting that Ford bring back the Fusion/Fiesta/Focus?

And who says it has to be low-volume just because it is a Lincoln? You're making the case for axing Lincoln altogether; something I agree with if all they are forced to offer are merely gussied-up Fords.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Ford sells a gazillion more sedans, relative to Lincoln sedans.
I am assuming that a 4 door Mustang would work within their silly current plan of keeping ONLY Mustang and bias everything else toward CUV/SUV. Hence, I would love to see it and the numbers might actually justify it and make it a reality, relative to a tiny volume sold as a Lincoln sedan.

You guys have to think like a bean counter for potential future Ford products, because obviously automotive passion does not matter. Duh

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
They can make one model as a four-door coupe and another as a five-door coupe in this Ford-Lincoln duo (like A4/A5, 3/4GC or Stinger/G70).

And some quick chop.
Obviously a product for both brands would be ideal, but if there were to only be ONE to fill a wish list, I vote Ford Mustang 4 door. A cramped, small volume Lincoln, does not appeal to many.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think that the assumption that a Mustang-based 4-door sedan would sell in "tiny numbers" just because it is a Lincoln is the real problem at Ford. No one in (the) Ford (family) wants to see anything even marginally attractive offered in a Lincoln showroom if it's not also in a Ford showroom.

If Ford can sell a 4-door Mustang in volume at a slight premium over a Mustang, so could Lincoln IF Ford doesn't have the same model to compete with it. OK, I don't believe that's ever going to happen so where does that leave poor Lincoln? It's no wonder the Lincoln product guy resigned.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I think that the assumption that a Mustang-based 4-door sedan would sell in "tiny numbers" just because it is a Lincoln is the real problem at Ford. No one in (the) Ford (family) wants to see anything even marginally attractive offered in a Lincoln showroom if it's not also in a Ford showroom.

If Ford can sell a 4-door Mustang in volume at a slight premium over a Mustang, so could Lincoln IF Ford doesn't have the same model to compete with it. OK, I don't believe that's ever going to happen so where does that leave poor Lincoln? It's no wonder the Lincoln product guy resigned.

You talk like you know very good the Ford family. The next time you talk to them, send my regards to Elena.

:grin2:

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I feel that for Mustang 4 door to look good, they should make it ridiculously uncomfortable with horrible egress/ingress, poor rearward visibility, lack of rear seat headroom, etc. If they give it tallish, roomy, functional space, like the red concept above, it will look like a Fusion. Not horrible, but not Mustang.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I feel that for Mustang 4 door to look good, they should make it ridiculously uncomfortable with horrible egress/ingress, poor rearward visibility, lack of rear seat headroom, etc. If they give it tallish, roomy, functional space, like the red concept above, it will look like a Fusion. Not horrible, but not Mustang.
Fusion was a good looking car. It was just stuck with unfortunate FWD proportions. "Tallish, roomy, functional space ... " Sounds like you're describing the Mustang-inspired Mach1. So Ford is going to have to design a happy medium as long as Mustang is the touchstone.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Fusion was a good looking car. It was just stuck with unfortunate FWD proportions. "Tallish, roomy, functional space ... " Sounds like you're describing the Mustang-inspired Mach1. So Ford is going to have to design a happy medium as long as Mustang is the touchstone.
Yet those unfortunate FWD proportions enabled it to sell 3 to 4X as many vehicles as Mustang. I suspect a mid sized 4 door Fusion with RWD would have been a sales flop, relatively.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yet those unfortunate FWD proportions enabled it to sell 3 to 4X as many vehicles as Mustang. I suspect a mid sized 4 door Fusion with RWD would have been a sales flop, relatively.
Yet the fusion is the one getting the axe. No one loves FWD, get over it.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

No one loves FWD???? Really???? Almost the 80% of the cars and crossovers are FWD . FWD cars had many advantages over RWD cars. That is why they sell in large numbers.

RWD platforms is better for those performance cars and some luxury vehicles that need better proportions. But is not mandatory. Some luxury sedans with FWD platforms (like the Audi A8) looks and perform very good.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I agree to a point.

I think people will go out of their way to buy a RWD for performance, looks, and the whole experience.
People will also select AWD or 4WD over FWD due to weather and off road ability
People mostly buy FWD because it is their only option on most vehicles, and it can be cheaper to purchase. I have never heard someone say that they would buy an F-Series, Mustang, Corvette, Aston Martin, Jeep, Subaru, or Tahoe if they were FWD. People tolerate FWD, but I doubt many can say they love it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I agree to a point.

I think people will go out of their way to buy a RWD for performance, looks, and the whole experience.
People will also select AWD or 4WD over FWD due to weather and off road ability
People mostly buy FWD because it is their only option on most vehicles, and it can be cheaper to purchase. I have never heard someone say that they would buy an F-Series, Mustang, Corvette, Aston Martin, Jeep, Subaru, or Tahoe if they were FWD. People tolerate FWD, but I doubt many can say they love it.
I think the vast majority of people have no idea which wheels are driving the car, and therefore don't care.

So I'd disagree with you when you say people will go out of their way to buy RWD. BUT, that said, it depends on the segment. Some segments, FWD would be unacceptable. Others (most vehicles, as evidenced by what sells) it's not a big deal, and people don't care.

Reactions: falcon lover
21 - 40 of 47 Posts