Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Exactly. Lincoln shouldn't waste time with a a Volt/ELR type of vehicle when it can set higher goals and target Tesla. A whole new and different body style(s)/interior(s) can be created to get the point across so it does not look like a converted MKZ with different trim here and there.
imho
tho I was sorta infatuated with the Volt at first
now, I think it's needlessly complicated
&
[ broken record ]
want to see a "module" that can be added to the un-petrol-driven wheels
FWD = stick it in back
RWD = put the motors in front
gets 'free' AWD out of the deal

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hmm... Since the Flex is in the wagon/hatchback category, and the Flex name carries some clout in California, I wonder if the Prius competitor will get the "Flex" name?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Hmm... Since the Flex is in the wagon/hatchback category, and the Flex name carries some clout in California, I wonder if the Prius competitor will get the "Flex" name?
I would think Ford would choose a name different enough not to confuse with any other Ford model. The issue now as far as name recognition is concerned, is that C-MAX is most known as an ICE vehicle globally. So using the name of an existing Ford vehicle won't help. Ford will have to offer a new name. With most Ford vehicle names starting with a F for cars, and E for SUVs in the states. But it seems Ford is expanding past that narrow naming theme globally.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I would think Ford would choose a name different enough not to confuse with any other Ford model. The issue now as far as name recognition is concerned, is that C-MAX is most known as an ICE vehicle globally. So using the name of an existing Ford vehicle won't help. Ford will have to offer a new name. With most Ford vehicle names starting with a F for cars, and E for SUVs in the states. But it seems Ford is expanding past that narrow naming theme globally.
well...
C-max
D-Max (eDge)
E-Max (Explorer)
F-Max (Flex)
^ as a possibity? NOT saying to use the D &or E

tho I still like the idea of the top-trim using/keeping the Flex Name

·
Registered
73 Posts
Everyone was waiting for the Escape Hybrid when the Escape launched, but that required the availability of Ford's new AWD Hybrid system that was not available yet. But with the launch of the 2015 Lexus NX Hybrid coming later this year for the US, and Lincoln wanting more of the California market share, Lincoln will need to launch an MKC AWD Hybrid by MY2016 at the latest to stay on the green shoppers list.
I certainly hope you're right, Bloggin: "Lincoln will need to launch an MKC AWD Hybrid by MY2016 at the latest"

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I hate the "-Max" names. They make no sense whatsoever. They're almost as bad as alphanumeric names.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
well...
C-max
D-Max (eDge)
E-Max (Explorer)
F-Max (Flex)
^ as a possibity? NOT saying to use the D &or E

tho I still like the idea of the top-trim using/keeping the Flex Name
Ford will need to offer something completely new. Recycling an old name on a current vehicle(Flex), or wedging a new vehicle family in the middle of an old ICE/Hybrid vehicle family(MAX) won't really help.

Ford really has to offer something new.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford will need to offer something completely new. Recycling an old name on a current vehicle(Flex), or wedging a new vehicle family in the middle of an old ICE/Hybrid vehicle family(MAX) won't really help.

I do agree, Bloggin
otoh-1
& no disrespect meant to FoMoCo, but
I'm not exactly confident about their Brand-creating abilities these days...
...building, developing, enhancing, expanding = Yes
...initiating:

otoh-2
imho a lot of existing criteria (+ our Missions' product-planning) can be easily adopted/adapted...
...just by taking a fresh look at what will be needed in a couple-few years - esp rather than what's been done by All mfgs so far.
Imho,
none have "cracked it" yet. ((at least
not below the Tesla Model S
and it I understood this, it's only about a C platform so far))

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

I do agree, Bloggin
otoh-1
...initiating:

otoh-2
imho a lot of existing criteria (+ our Missions' product-planning) can be easily adopted/adapted...
...just by taking a fresh look at what will be needed in a couple-few years - esp rather than what's been done by All mfgs so far.
Imho,
none have "cracked it" yet. ((at least not below the level of the Tesla Model S
and this is only about the C platform...so far))

·
Registered
193 Posts
I do like the C-Max name, but I understand why they would have to change it for global markets. The C-Max will probably be dumped in the US for the new model since its hybrid-only. C-Max will live on in Europe and other global markets.

What about E-Max? E for Efficiency? Or Energy? Economical? Ford already has gas-only B-Max and C-Max models. The E-Max could be their global hybrid model. E-Max Energi could be the plug-in. E-Max Electric the all-electric model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ hmm... I might have a suggestion, R.W., but it's "Reserved" (for below)

...otoh-1
...initiating:

otoh-2
Imho,
none have "cracked it" yet. ((at least not below the level of the Tesla Model S
and this is only about the C platform...so far))

forgot a shameless plug/link for the NEW Chapter of
Mission2020(or sooner): The RE-Inventing of "MERCURY" whatever it's called

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
The Original Article

Credit: Reuters/Daniel Munoz
(Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) plans to introduce a new hybrid gasoline-electric car in late 2018 to compete against the best-selling Toyota Prius, two sources with knowledge of the company's plans told Reuters on Wednesday.

The compact car will be Ford's first "dedicated" hybrid - that is a vehicle designed to be marketed exclusively as a hybrid, rather than a variation of an existing gasoline model, such as the automaker's Fusion hybrid, the sources said. The as-yet-unnamed vehicle will be built just outside Detroit, .

The sources said Ford eventually could offer several different body styles of the new hybrid, as Toyota does with the Prius. There would be different versions of the car's gasoline-electric drivetrain, including a more expensive plug-in model that can be recharged from an electrical outlet.

The new Ford hybrid is expected to arrive as a 2019 model, roughly 21 years after the introduction of the original Prius in Japan. Toyota is planning to unveil its fourth-generation Prius late next year, the sources said.

Ford spokesman Chris Preuss on Wednesday said the company doesn't comment on speculation about future products.

Ford plans to build the new hybrid at its Wayne assembly plant in southeastern Michigan, at an annual rate of about 120,000, the sources said.

Some of the hybrid technology, including electric motors, controllers and batteries, will be adapted from Ford's current hybrid models, although the dedicated 2019 model is expected to provide better fuel economy and range than today's hybrids.

The 2019 model, which carries the internal code C240, will be built on Ford's new C2 global compact architecture, which also will underpin the next-generation Focus and Escape, the sources said.

Ford, like other major global automakers, has been investing heavily in hybrid technology to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy standards in North America, Europe and Asia. But consumer demand for hybrids hasn't come close to meeting the industry's sales projections.

Sales of the Chevrolet Volt, General Motors' (GM.N) widely advertised plug-in hybrid, have been just 10,635 vehicles through the first seven months of this year, down 9 percent from a year ago, despite heavy dealer discounts.

Sales of Ford's C-Max hybrid are down 29 percent in the first seven months, to 16,444. Sales of its Fusion hybrid are up 24 percent, to 31,092, but still only account for one in every six Fusions sold in the U.S.

Prius, which has been sold in North America since 2000, remains the leading hybrid in global markets. Its U.S. sales in the first seven months of this year are down 11 percent to 127,776. Last year, worldwide sales of the Prius topped 400,000.

Part of the success of Prius has been attributed to Toyota's efforts to build its "green" car into a branded family of different hybrid models, from the tiny Prius C hatchback to the van-like Prius V. Prices start at just under $20,000.

The Volt has been hampered by its higher sticker price. Even after a $5,000 price cut a year ago, the base model starts at just over $35,000, although Chevrolet dealers continue to offer discounts of up to $6,000 on that, as well as zero-interest financing and low lease rates.

In about a year, Chevrolet plans to introduce a redesigned, second-generation Volt with improved features and performance, as a 2016 model, the sources said.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
2018 is just 4 years away.

The first vehicle to use the new C2 platform should be the Focus, that is being refreshed for MY2015 and should be on the new C2 platform for MY2017 in 2016.

"Some of the hybrid technology, including electric motors, controllers and batteries, will be adapted from Ford's current hybrid models, although the dedicated 2019 model is expected to provide better fuel economy and range than today's hybrids."

With that being said, it seems the primary development is with the new lightweight C240 platform that can also be a C2XX for an EV.

·
Registered
528 Posts
there are a few things in this thread
1) Ford is waiting for C2 ... I cannot wait to see the C2 ... it has some big shoes to fill given that everything from the Focus up currently rides on a version of the C1.
2) We are looking at a C-max that is built specifically to be a bit futuristic, bit practical, and very fuel efficient.
3) Read Wings' post. The line will be called Ford Amp(-ed). This has been rumored for a long time.
4) I am excited to see what the 2 C2 hybrids offer. It think the Hybrid brand has been a long time coming

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Ford plans new ("A.M.P.") hybrid series to compete with Toyota Prius, report says

^ THANKS for the clarification, Igor :thumb:
...crossreference
American Perfection
:clap:

2018 is just 4 years away...
actually....
3 years + 1 week + minutes depending on locale

...the primary development is with the new lightweight C240 platform that can also be a C2XX for an EV.
Oh?!? :joyous:

...C2 ...has some big shoes to fill given that everything from the Focus up currently rides on a version of the C1...
it will be extremely interesting to see how/where this 'dovetails'(?) with D6/CD6/whatever
(( actually
this sounds an awful lot like my old circa2007-08 FML lineup's "FLX" & "ACE" platforms
except
I thought the larger ACE would still be F-Awd and a GRwdP would happen as well...
...NOW, "The 6" looks like it might handle ALL the mid&larger cars no matter which wheels get powered))

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: Ford plans new ("A.M.P.") hybrid series to compete with Toyota Prius, report says

it will be extremely interesting to see how/where this 'dovetails'(?) with D6/CD6/whatever
(( actually
this sounds an awful lot like my old circa2007-08 FML lineup's "FLX" & "ACE" platforms
except
I thought the larger ACE would still be F-Awd and a GRwdP would happen as well...
...NOW, "The 6" looks like it might handle ALL the mid&larger cars no matter which wheels get powered))
D6 is EUCD (aka C1 based). This is how Ford worked. C1 was released in 2004 under the Focus. Then it spawned EUCD; then it got a redesign for the current Escape, C-max, and MkIII Focus; then CD4 for the Fusion/Mondeo/Edge, and now D6 for the Taurus etc.

The C2 will be released with NG Focus and follow similar staggered release of larger and larger modifications. C1 will end up with close to 20 years of production (it turned 10 last year). The first 5-8 years of C2's life will see a co-prduction of C1 derivatives, until they are all replaced with C2 derivatives.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Ford plans new ("A.M.P.") hybrid series to compete with . . . . . .

Automakers race to double the driving range of affordable electric cars
AutoNews:Europe - March 25, 2015
*and*
Reuters - By Paul Lienert - Mar 24, 2015

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Automakers are readying a new generation of mass-market electric cars with more than double the driving range of today ... betting that technical breakthroughs by big battery suppliers such as LG Chem will jump-start demand and pull them abreast of Tesla Motors.

At least four major automakers - General Motors, Ford Motor, Nissan Motor and Volkswagen - plan to race Tesla to be first to field affordable electric vehicles that will travel up to 200 miles (322 km) between charges...

...Automakers need to pump up electric vehicle demand significantly by 2018. This is when California and eight other U.S. states will begin to require the companies to meet much higher sales targets for so-called zero emission vehicles - in other words, electric cars - and federal rules on reducing fuel consumption and greenhouse gases become much stricter.

None of the four automakers contacted by Reuters for this story - Ford, GM, Nissan and Volkswagen - wished to comment on future products or other related matters.

Battery breakthroughs...
..."Several factors are at play that are landing at this 200-mile range" for a vehicle priced between $30,000 and $35,000, LG Chem CEO Prabhakar Patil said in an interview. "We've been talking to several OEMs (automakers) regarding where our battery technology is and where it's going."

LG Chem also supplies standard lithium ion batteries to the Ford Focus Electric and may supply the longer-range batteries to a new compact EV that Ford is tentatively planning to introduce in late 2018 or early 2019, according to three suppliers familiar with the program.

Compared with the 2015 Focus Electric, which has a range between charges of 76 miles, the new compact electric model would have a range of at least 200 miles, the suppliers said...

21 - 40 of 69 Posts