Ford Inside News banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford polishes its U.S. luxury brand

Ford Motor Co. is moving ahead with plans to build the Lincoln MKT, a stylish crossover that turned heads at the Detroit auto show in January.
A Ford engineer who is working on the program, known internally as D472, said the design work is well under way but, officially, the company says it has not made a final decision on whether to green-light the MKT. On Friday, Ford told The Detroit News it planned to show a production prototype to a consumer panel the following day to further refine the design and figure out where to position the vehicle in the market.
"We're showing it in front of customers," Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer said. "The company is actively pursuing a luxury crossover for Lincoln."​

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think it's great that Ford is redefining Lincoln. But when is Ford going to start polishing up their Great Mercury Brand?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I am pleased to see that Ford is going to push ahead with the MKT and really focus on making Lincoln a true World player. It is the right decision and I look forward to more of Lincoln's future products...especially now that we have seen the MKS and the MKT.

My biggest interest though, is how Lincoln will re-hash the Navigator and MKX to fit in with the product line...I know they will certainly redo the styling to match the new Lincoln design DNA...which will be all for the better...but will the Navigator still be relevant? Will Lincoln offer a newer and more moder Flagship Sedan to replace the venerable Town Car? Could there be a return of a Lincoln Coupe/Grande Tourer? Will the MKX differentiate itself further from the Edge?

I know...lots of questions...but I am very excited and anxious!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is a good fit for Lincoln, even though people will be downsizing soon, the people who can afford luxury cars can afford the gas as well. So, by summer 2009, Lincoln will have
1 a freshened and more modern MKz (mid size AWD)
2 All new MKs (full size AWD)
3 Town Car (soldiering on until a replacement arrives)
4 MKx mid size CUV (maybe a refreshed exterior)
5 Navigator Full size SUV (maybe refreshed exterior)
6 MKt All new Fullsize CUV

What does Lincoln need after that?
1 Town Car replacement (updated style/platform/engine, but NOT an S-class fighter in price or performance)
2 small CUV
3 mid sized RWD Sedan/Coupe/Convertable
4 Full Size Flagship Sedan (S-class type car)

·
Registered
40 Posts
What does Lincoln need after that?
1 Town Car replacement (updated style/platform/engine, but NOT an S-class fighter in price or performance)
2 small CUV
3 mid sized RWD Sedan/Coupe/Convertable
4 Full Size Flagship Sedan (S-class type car)
Lincoln does need a small CUV, but what platform would it use? A Kuga (C1) based platform would only limit it to a 4 cyclinder and IMO a luxury CUV needs more than just a 4 cyclinder.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I disagree with Lincoln having a small CUV, one reason is I don't think the average Lincoln buyer would be interested in owing a small CUV.

And another reason is a small Lincoln CUV would hurt the Mercury Mariner's sales and as of right now that is the only model Mercury has that is seeing a gain in sales.

But that's just my opinion.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^^ I agree Mr.SABLE!
the MKX is already a tad shorter than the MKZ
& believe it'll be a few years before any Lincoln should be shorter than that...

...which recalls a thought I had last night,
the problem with all 3 domestic divisions is that both Ford & Lincoln have been trying unsuccessfully to be Mercurys (can't really blame them, I guess ;))
imho
Ford needs to (re)conquer selling entry/everyday cars (+Mustang, prolley Tbird, & trucks)
& Lincoln needs to make their 'L' [strike]stand for[/strike]
...DEFINE Luxury again

If they'll just Let Mercury be the unquestionably-desirable yet reasonably-attainable brand it should have always been...
< sigh >
^this^ is why I believe Merc should have volume =atleast>greaterthan 50% FordCARS.
Anything less & Fomoco is just fighting the Natural Order of things!

Until Ford-car-owners can proudly say, "My car is almost a Mercury!" (minus the +'s I mentioned above) the PowersThatBe just ain't 'getting' it!
((of course Thugota 'gets' it: ie "almost a LuxIf"))

edit/oops: this is a Lincoln thread, so I'll add
when Lincolns define Luxury, they'll be what they always deserved be
incomparably beyond those LuxIf-wannabees with their SillySystems™ :snicker:snicker:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just so you know, the MKX is being refreshed and will have the winged grill and a 300 hp engine. The Edge is being rereshed too but with less HP, around 280. Look for some serious distinction between the two in terms of sheetmetal. The Edge will have a fresh interior as well. Should start seeing pics 3Q or 4Q if not before.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just so you know, the MKX is being refreshed and will have the winged grill and a 300 hp engine. The Edge is being rereshed too but with less HP, around 280. Look for some serious distinction between the two in terms of sheetmetal. The Edge will have a fresh interior as well. Should start seeing pics 3Q or 4Q if not before.
Any ideas on what the interior will resemble? What's 3Q and 4Q?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh Thank GOD they are pushing forward with the MKT! This is so original and should definitely turn some heads. Everyone I have passed photos of this concept to has had awesome things to say... young and old.

I think Lincoln needs to reface the MKX and the Nav to match the rest of the line. Is the Town Car going to get a Face Lift too? I'm not quite sure what it would look like with the toothy spit grille... that would be quite a large mouth on the front of it coming at ya.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Eurythmian, here's an old chop/thread for a TC style-suggestion that your probably haven't seen (tho the chop contains no Panther-parts) & (here's a new chop for a "Marquis")

...What's 3Q and 4Q?
fyi/specifically/just-in-case, Q3 is July,Aug,Sept & Q4 is Oct,Nov,Dec

Raugaj, I came across 2 posts & an article yesterday (on 3 diff sites) that when added together indicate that the Explorer/Mountaineer(I-hope)/?newLincoln? are gonna be BIG news rather soon;
know anything about that? (PM's cheerfully accepted ;))

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The small CUV I was thinking for Lincoln would not be competing with the Mariner.

They should take an MKx platform, lower the suspension, lower the roofline, shorten the body Make it much lighter(maybe even make it a 2-door). Oh, and last but not least...give it more HP than the standard MKx. (More like a high roof line MXz sport wagon with 330HP)
Price and performance would not compete with Mariner.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If and when Ford gives Lincoln a rear wheel drive car to replace the Town Car, they can call it MTC(Town Car). Just a little humor here.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Oh Thank GOD they are pushing forward with the MKT! This is so original and should definitely turn some heads. Everyone I have passed photos of this concept to has had awesome things to say... young and old.

I think Lincoln needs to reface the MKX and the Nav to match the rest of the line. Is the Town Car going to get a Face Lift too? I'm not quite sure what it would look like with the toothy spit grille... that would be quite a large mouth on the front of it coming at ya.
Hi Eurythmian!!
I want to talk about the picture of the Mark.....
I love that Mark, too. Is a beautiful car, too advanced for the time.The grille is flush with the bumper...the headlamps are flush too.... is like a concept car from the late 90 and early 2000....The interior is wonderful...futuristic and practical.
Ford must give us this car again on the Mustang plattform, maybe with IRS.

And a question for you: are you a Eurythmics fan???? I am......
Bye, buddy

·
Registered
69 Posts
"And a question for you: are you a Eurythmics fan???? I am......"

Well yes. Yes I am. Funny, you are the first person to ever ask me that in a very long time. It was my nickname back in high school...

Nice to meet you - my fellow Eurythmian.:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought everyone was a Eurythmics fan! Oh, and the Mark VIII too. I bought one almost immediately back in 1993. That car was head and shoulders above anything anywhere near its price. Voice controlled phone working through stereo; unflappable 4 wheel independent air suspension (high quality parts throughout); silky aluminum double overhead cam V8; great seats and an adult-size rear compartment; unique, creative high quality dash (with zero phony wood or flash); excellent (for the time) JBL sound system; very fast, firm steering (2.5 turns lock to lock). I could go on... All for about $37K. Closest and most similar real competitor was the BMW 8 series coupe, for about $85K. Road and Track even dared a comparison test of the two. Funny, in those days, Lincoln had the rear drive, 4 wheel IRS, while Cadillac's Eldorado was a bloated front driver. An updated Mark coupe with about 350-400 HP, 6 speed automatic and adjustable shocks and a less heavy feel would be killer today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is still surprising to this day how well this car handles after getting in newer updated luxury cars. This is why I have held onto this car for as long as I have. I plan to keep her and put her in storage for car shows once I move onto something new.

They really need to bring the Mark back. I lighter more powerful turbo V6 coupe is what they need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts