Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford recalls more than 692,000 Escape SUVs, C-Max hybrids for safety issues
Detroit News

Detroit — Ford says it’s recalling more than 692,000 vehicles in North America for two safety problems.

The first case covers 692,500 Escape SUVs and C-Max hybrids from the 2013 and 2014 model years.

Ford says a software glitch can stop the side curtain air bags from inflating in some rollover crashes.

The company says it has no reports of crashes or injuries. Dealers will reprogram the air bag control computer at no cost to owners.

The second case covers 692,700 Escapes from 2013 and 2014. Exterior door handles can bind and stop the door from latching properly. This could allow doors to open while in motion.

Dealers will inspect the handles and reposition them if needed. No crashes or injuries have been reported. Most of the Escapes have both problems.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand finding new ways consumers can try and break the vehicle which requires a software update for airbags, but the door handle issue is just unacceptable.

There were 295,993 Escapes sold in the US for 2013 and 95,884 sold in 2014 as of April. That's just 391,877 for the US. The rest would be for the other North American countries. Primarily Mexico and Canada based on population/overall vehicle sales volume.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I want Ford to be the best seller in every category it competes in but the number of recalls on the current gen Escape is truly ridiculous. Ford needs to seriously get it's quality controls together.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You could always buy GM.
I think they have recalled EVERYTHING at this point :(
I have never owned and have no intentions of ever buying a GM car.

It's smart to get all of the minor recalls out there now while GM is going through their PR mess but I still stand by my statement about the number of Escape recalls. It's a new one every few months.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ford Philippines delayed the launch of the current gen Escape so they could start marketing their B-segment EcoSport crossover SUV last year without any distractions from another small crossover SUV (current gen Escape) since the EcoSport is a new model in the region that belongs to a fairly new segment. Fast forward a few months later and the EcoSport became a hit.
Ford Philippines will finally launch the current gen Escape later this year, according to them these will be 2015MY models sourced from North America.
The big question is after 2 years in production has Ford finally sorted out all the major bugs and problems of the Escape?

I really do hope the 2015 Ford Escapes are problem-free.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A Recall should equal a free service (oil change), update the software, adjust all that needs to be adjusted.
Get the customer to want to go in for some service and see the product while waiting.
I would wait until the next time that I needed an oil change before giving up time.
Bonus - Bonus.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Recall should equal a free service (oil change), update the software, adjust all that needs to be adjusted.
Get the customer to want to go in for some service and see the product while waiting.
I would wait until the next time that I needed an oil change before giving up time.
Bonus - Bonus.
To soften the blow of a recall on a new vehicle, Ford should offer free scheduled maintenance for the first 2 years of ownership like Toyota Care. This way if there is an early recall, it would also be about time for a schedule maintenance to be done what was scheduled and free anyway. This is especially true with new Ford cars needed so many software updates.

This would also improve Fords cost of ownership position for each model.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yikes, I'm in the "Recalls can happen to all manufacturers" camp, but this is getting silly. I also agree that it is better to deal with an issue than hide it, but what is better than that? Not having so many issues to deal with! Something has gone wrong when 1 vehicle has been recalled so many times. That's not the case with every Ford, so they clearly did something wrong with the Escape. Ford really needs to figure out why, because you can't turn these problems off if you don't know why they're on.

I have had 1 recall on my Ka (now at 150,000 kms) since buying it new in 2009, and that was for a small rubber hose to recirculate exhaust fumes that could get brittle and crack. No biggie, it was a quick and easy fix once they got the part in stock. I have only purchased two other new cars, but only had 1 recall on my 2004 Vibe, and no recalls on my 2007 Optra5. Maybe I am lucky, but if I started having 4 or 5 recalls on a car I think I'd be pretty annoyed. Be careful Ford, don't waste the great momentum you have on your new lineup by letting quality slide!

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Coordinating global teams to share resources & produce so many global products like the Fusion & Escape, which is really the first time in history on anything close to this scale, presented many new challenges. We are seeing some of negatives of those challenges.

Frankly, I am amazed that given all the new technological advances, variations in powertrain (Fusion/Mondeo alone gets 6 engines and 3-4 transmission, hybrid, AWD, etc.) that we don’t see more growing problems.

The sheer magnitude of such complex undertakings however are perfectly contrasted to the supremely simplistic advice & suggestions we often read in forums like these (“Ford can’t let this happen again”).

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Coordinating global teams to share resources & produce so many global products like the Fusion & Escape, which is really the first time in history on anything close to this scale, presented many new challenges. We are seeing some of negatives of those challenges.

Frankly, I am amazed that given all the new technological advances, variations in powertrain (Fusion/Mondeo alone gets 6 engines and 3-4 transmission, hybrid, AWD, etc.) that we don’t see more growing problems.

The sheer magnitude of such complex undertakings however are perfectly contrasted to the supremely simplistic advice & suggestions we often read in forums like these (“Ford can’t let this happen again”).
Oh, and lets not forget all the additional advice, where Ford & Lincoln also need to work faster.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The average customer who has to take their car back 10 times for recalls doesn't care about a manufacturers problems creating global cars. They care that their car has to go back to the dealer 10 times for repairs. My current Ford has been nearly flawless so I'd be inclined to buy another, it's that simple. If Ford can't handle building 'technological advances and variations in powertrain ' then they should build less complicated cars.

I can't believe that the average consumer should just shut up and accept that their vehicle may encounter multiple problems because that's just the way the business runs. For the most part I think that Ford is doing a great job, but Ford absolutely can't let this happen again, and saying otherwise is ignoring the relationship that the average consumers expects to have with their vehicle.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Most of the problems are not craftmanship related but mechanical or technical. Ford is making some of the best cars out right now but they need to get the quality issue fixed asap.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The average customer who has to take their car back 10 times for recalls doesn't care about a manufacturers problems creating global cars. They care that their car has to go back to the dealer 10 times for repairs. My current Ford has been nearly flawless so I'd be inclined to buy another, it's that simple. If Ford can't handle building 'technological advances and variations in powertrain ' then they should build less complicated cars.

I can't believe that the average consumer should just shut up and accept that their vehicle may encounter multiple problems because that's just the way the business runs. For the most part I think that Ford is doing a great job, but Ford absolutely can't let this happen again, and saying otherwise is ignoring the relationship that the average consumers expects to have with their vehicle.
I tried to suggest the reasoning for their current problems, as it relates to globalization of massive technology advancements, complexity, etc.

I don't believe I have made excuses and suggested people shut up about it.

Ford can and will improve.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
....and regarding the "ten times" back to the dealer, that is pure BS.
Not even close.

And....... if you eliminate the 1.6L engine from the equation, which contributed to I believe 3 recalls related to poor fuel systems manufacturing errors (suppliers delivering damaged parts early in production) and cooling system calibration errors (remapped incorrectly from European specifications), then the only recall most owners who drive the other 2 engine options, would really only be getting this latest recall. There was an initial recall right out of the gate relating to carpet padding, they fixed that right away, affecting several thousand. What I see, is corrective proper actions set in place, following very diligent and continued efforts to improve quality, continuously, and certainly far better than others. What some here just focus on, is yet another Escape recall, completely ignoring the fact that many Escape recalls are not even for this latest model.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well then good, Ford should benchmark the Escape and try to have as many recalls for their future models.

Though the other option would be to look at why there were several recalls on the Escape and do what it takes to avoid this next time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts