1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report: Ford Rep Sees U.S. Potential for Compact Trucks - MotorTrend
Zach Gale, News Director
April 11, 2013

...Ford’s truck program marketing manager Doug Scott talked with Automotive.com about the challenges the automaker must overcome if we will ever see a compact Ford truck in the U.S...

...Scott suggested that a successful U.S.-market Ford truck below the market-leading F-150 would have to be truly compact, unlike the shelved F-100 program we reported on years ago. As for size, think of the original Ford Ranger and Nissan “Hardbody” truck from the 1980s...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for this posting Joseodiaga4. I think if Ford would have updated the Ranger on a regular basis they wouldn't be in this position. Rather they would still be the sales leader for compact trucks. I've said it before, not everyone wants to drive the F-150 no matter how great that product is. Bring the Ranger back Ford, please.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
file under: Who ya gonna trust? Ford or some blog?

Ford Isn't Missing the Ranger - fool.com
By Adam Levine-Weinberg
June 4, 2013

Some of my colleagues here at the Fool have worried that Ford Motor (NYSE: F ) made a mistake by deciding to stop selling the Ranger midsize pickup in the North American market... Proponents of the Ranger therefore believe that Ford will lose a lot of sales to rivals that still offer midsize trucks...

...As I've previously argued, the benefits of bringing the Ranger back to the U.S. are outweighed by the cost of confusing customers and cannibalizing sales of the more-profitable F-Series trucks. U.S. auto sales results for May further justify Ford's decision to kill the Ranger in the U.S. In fact, the results show that there is very little demand in the midsize truck segment...

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
2012 midsize truck sales were about 220k units and expected to be about the same for 2013. Toyota is taking about 150k with the Tacoma.

Size wise, the Tacoma is quite a bit smaller than the F-150

Tacoma Base Wheelbase: 109, F-150: 125. Difference of 16 inches.

- The wheelbase of the Fusion is 112 and Focus 104. 8 inches difference.

Tacoma Base Length: 190, F-150 Length: 213. Difference of 23 inches.

- The Fusion is 191 inches and Focus is Sedan is 178 inches. 13 inches difference

Tacoma Track Front/Rear: 61/61, F-150: 67/67. Difference of 6 inches
- Fusion is 62/62 and Focus is 61/60. a 1/2 inch difference

When Ford cancelled the Ranger, Toyota Tacoma sales alone went up over 3k units monthly. Going from 106k sales in 2010, to projected 150k for 2013. And all it will take is for another gas price spike which will happen soon, and Tacoma sales will make another increase.

Which is why even though Ford thinks the Global Ranger is too much truck and too close to the F-150 price, it's destined to come to NA. All the development and engineering is done. The manufacturing process is done and tested. It's already sold in many other countries and could easily be imported to NA while sales increase and production starts locally. Just yank out some content and match the Tacoma starting price of $17k to $22k.

Even if there is a price overlap at the bottom end with the F-150, The Global Ranger is still offering the customer what they want, instead of forcing them into a big F-150 they don't want, or to Toyota to buy the Tacoma they really didn't want. Along with helping with the CAFE standards, by offering smaller more efficient engines.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There has to be a sweet spot for the Ranger. I liked it when I had one. The F series was a little too big and guzzled gas.

If the put an Eco Boost engine with a 4 or maybe the 3? Maybe price it at $16k, with basics to get u started. I like the vinyl floors, 4wd, electric windows with sync like the 2011 Fiesta system. Make the Ranger the Fiesta of pickups.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts