Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, we are announcing our 2015 third quarter financial results. It was another outstanding quarter thanks to the hard work and results by our team around the world.

We set a third-quarter record for pre-tax profit and automotive operating-related cash flow, and it was our best quarter ever in North America and best third quarter since 2011 for Ford Credit. We also have not had a better third quarter in Europe since 2009, and we made improvements in South America.

The company’s third quarter pre-tax profit of $2.7 billion was up $1.5 billion and more than double a year ago. Net income was $1.9 billion – also more than double a year ago – and automotive operating margin grew four points to 6.5 percent. Equally important, we delivered strong top-line growth, with increased wholesale volume and revenue. In addition, we grew our global market share on a year-over-year basis for the third quarter in a row.

For the first nine months of this year, we have made $7 billion in profit and $5.2 billion in automotive operating-related cash flow. Both are more than we delivered in all of last year.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well well well, what can you say but wow! Excellent news, super-strong Escape, Edge, Explorer, F-150, Transit, and Mustang numbers are going to carry on into 2016. Would love to see MKC and MKX start pulling their own weight. I want to see '3x3000' Lincoln lapel pins, for MKZ, MKC, and MKX monthly volume! :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There's a new Escape?! I thought it was already out? When does it hit dealerships?

Any idea when the updated Fusion and MKZ will arrive?

I had forgotten about the SuperDuty; is it included in F-150 numbers, or does Ford have a separate line for them? I don't recall ever nothing in the sales charts... what kind of monthly numbers can we expect from Super Duty? What's typical?

And Continental... I betcha 2B2's Mercury t-shirt collection that the Conti will outsell the CT6 at some point. Just because I'm in a fightin' mood...!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
GM is launching a boatload of new cars at Chevy and Caddy all at once which could dramatically change their fortunes in about a year or two, similar to Ford.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
GM is launching a boatload of new cars at Chevy and Caddy all at once which could dramatically change their fortunes in about a year or two, similar to Ford.
Pfffft, at the same time others will be getting older. That's the ebb and flow of being an automaker. Chevy has to make up for lost ground, as the Colorado is almost singlehandedly responsible for their growth this year. That means the other models combined are flat, in an up market. The large SUVs are all down, including the Escalade (for the past few months at least, still up YTD though), and they're not going to be revamped anytime soon.

I just can only give so much credit to a manufacturer for revamping and adding models when that's kind of the way the business runs! And the Colorado and Canyon came at the expense of the big vans, while CT6 arrives as XTS starts to fade away. GM doesn't manage their lineups well at all, so all this new product means that something else is going to give.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Although Chevy is completely overhauling it's core lineup, none of those really involve Crossovers which is where all the growth and money is. Ford has already done this a few years ago and has a fresher Crossover lineup this year. In any case, Ford isn't making money by selling more cars than GM.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ford is clearly running a better business at the moment.
It is also GM who is yielding less profit, even though they are selling far more cars.
I'd image fleet sales has a lot to do with that. I love the way Ford has moved away from obscene fleet sale numbers while bolstering "real" sales to people. People like options!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
There's a new Escape?! I thought it was already out? When does it hit dealerships?

And Continental... I betcha 2B2's Mercury t-shirt collection that the Conti will outsell the CT6 at some point. Just because I'm in a fightin' mood...!
supér-quickie (possible) update of a chart I'm sure how old it is

&
that's a tattoo not a teeshirt

but AGREE

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Boatload? Where?

Chevrolet - new Cruze and Cruze Electric (Volt) and Malibu and Camaro. Everything else is the status quo. Cruze volume will only return to a prior high, not a real increase. Even if Volt doubles in sales that is only 1600 units a month - that volume will be lost as Impala sales are cannibalized by Malibu. Even if Malibu and Camaro do well, that is only 5k-7k extra per month in sales volume - trucks are going nowhere since they are stale and the price war plan has already been used. Commercial van sales are disappearing. I don't see much volume - low gas prices will keep Cruze sales depressed unless rental fleets need cheap cars.

Cadillac - CT6 and SRX - nothing else. CT6 will add no volume and will only replace XLS sales - SRX sales were up anyway so there is minimal impact here. ATS and CTS are tanking and killing each other and the glow is off the Escalade as it is now two years into refresh.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ford is clearly running a better business at the moment.
It is also GM who is yielding less profit, even though they are selling far more cars.
Since forced bankruptcy, GM has consistently under delivered on products - new versions are often launched with significant flaws - like Malibu being a family car that has no room - Cruze being sluggish and poor gas mileage in the real world - pickup trucks being mere retreads of older products without any compelling new facet to them.

Ford doesn't seek to buy market share with pricing - in fact I'd contend that Ford is now selling products in the space formerly held by Mercury - Ford really isn't competing on price that much anymore.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Media.Ford.com
3Q 2015 Earnings Review (.pdf) SlideShow

21 slides & 14 appendices

- - - - - - -

Ford posts highest-ever N.A. profit as global earnings double
Q3 net income surges to $1.9 billion;
pretax profits in North America rise to $2.7 billion

Automotive News

Nick Bunkley | October 27, 201
UPDATED: 10/27/15 12:55 pm ET - adds stock down 4.5%

Regional results
Ford narrowed its losses in Europe and South America. Its pretax profit fell by more than half in the Asia Pacific region...
Q4 will be weaker
Shanks said the fourth quarter will be weaker than the third due to cost increases that typically occur toward the end of a calendar year. Among the costs it expects to incur are signing bonuses as part of an expected, new four-year contract with the UAW...
Production rising...
...Lincoln sales rose 15 percent in the quarter. The brand was helped by the redesigned MKX crossover, which went on sale in mid-summer...
Stock price
Ford shares fell 4.5 percent to $14.97 in early afternoon trading.

Brian Johnson, an analyst with Barclays Capital, said he doesn’t expect Ford’s improved performance to spark a rally in the automaker’s stock value. The shares have been stuck below $16 a share since late April.

“While Ford is posting strong results from its largest segment (with … one of its most important launches ever), the U.S. industry is showing no signs of slowing, and the company is quite healthy financially, unfortunately concerns of a U.S. peak carry the day,” Johnson wrote in a report this week.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, like 7 or 8 or 9 new Sedans for GM in the next 12 months. :banghead:

Although Chevy is completely overhauling it's core lineup, none of those really involve Crossovers which is where all the growth and money is. Ford has already done this a few years ago and has a fresher Crossover lineup this year. In any case, Ford isn't making money by selling more cars than GM.
You are a quick study! :thumb:

The real odd thing is GM is going to continue to make the old Malibu and Cruze.

The Equinox is getting a "re-fresh" I guess?

I'd image fleet sales has a lot to do with that. I love the way Ford has moved away from obscene fleet sale numbers while bolstering "real" sales to people. People like options!
I think Ford has higher fleet than GM, and Ford's mix has been off a bit, a tick more rental and a tick less commercial, most of it tied to the F-150's lost (fleet) sales.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

didn't answer before
per rumors listed in our main Autoshow thread
the Escape will first debut at LAIAS
the MKZ might be there too
&
Fusion might be at NAIAS in January

1 - 20 of 31 Posts