Ford Inside News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

Ford will locate its autonomous vehicle and electric vehicle business and strategy teams, including Team Edison, in a 45,000-square-foot historic former factory in Detroit’s Corktown neighborhood; the relocation brings together Ford teams that are creating new business models in a resurgent, diverse neighborhood with industrial roots

Ford’s ambitious push into autonomous and electric vehicles and services reflects the company’s aspiration to become the most trusted mobility company, designing smart vehicles for a smart world; relocation decision is aligned with Ford’s mission to improve the entire transportation system, along with people’s overall quality of life

Corktown location will be up and running early next year, allowing autonomous vehicle and electric vehicle teams numbering more than 200 people to immerse themselves in the mobility challenges and solutions in an urban setting; watching and learning how mobility solutions positively impact the community will drive Ford’s developments

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
re: Ford Returns Home to Look Forward; Bringing AV & EV Teams to Detroit

Interesting for Ford, but awesome for the city. Detroit is on a serious rebirth path right now, and people love going back downtown. It is the place to be. 5 years ago, you only went there for events. Now, you just want to hang out.

The pic below is just a rendering, but where the Little Caesars Arena is located, there was only run down buildings and lots. Now, it is prime real estate all along Woodward.

It is a state of the art arena as well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
These kinds of decisions actually make me feel worse about where Ford is headed. They seem to believe that electrics are urban mobility and that it is some world apart from the rest of their business. And, the more than 200 employees! Whoopee! From the article I posted on the Jag I-Pace, Jag had 500 engineers working on that project. 500. And, I guarantee you Jag doesn't have some standalone office building where the employees sip coffee and dream about future urban mobility.

Ford has a serious case of recto-cranial inversion.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see BEV has become a pissing contest for some.
Anyway, I love the idea behind a separate team with a unique and narrow focus. Of course, contrary to some beliefs, far more people are involved with electrification.

So as Ford rolls out it's BEV concept in the next year, and prepares to sell them for zero profit, if not a loss, I wonder if Ford will be envious of those selling 5X the amount, and thus, 5X the loss? All while selling quite profitable vehicles, including hybrids.....then carefully watching and preparing to move quickly should the market demand more than 1% BEV take rate.

And quite contrary to some beliefs, you can't enter the BEV market too late. That is just plain dumb. Nobody, not Ford, GM or even Jag, will ever have the image of a Tesla. It's just about providing customers what they want, minus huge risks to your bottom line.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I guarantee you Jag doesn't have some standalone office building where the employees sip coffee and dream about future urban mobility...
THAT^is what I forgot in my last post:
- cool building
- trendy area (sorta newly afaik)
> will there be a coffeehouse?
...what about square pizza?

I see BEV has become a pissing contest for some...

...quite contrary to some beliefs, you can't enter the BEV market too late. That is just plain dumb. Nobody, not Ford, GM or even Jag, will ever have the image of a Tesla. It's just about providing customers what they want, minus huge risks to your bottom line.
imho humans are best at creating pissing contests
>:)
& agree: never too late ... for potentially Some ... ex:
Kia/Hyundai/Genesis(esp Genesis) =
taking on what used to be the world's biggest market (& succeeding) with petrol drivetrains when the early adopters already KNEW that was dinosaur tech - literally
:nerd:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I see BEV has become a pissing contest for some.
Anyway, I love the idea behind a separate team with a unique and narrow focus. Of course, contrary to some beliefs, far more people are involved with electrification.

So as Ford rolls out it's BEV concept in the next year, and prepares to sell them for zero profit, if not a loss, I wonder if Ford will be envious of those selling 5X the amount, and thus, 5X the loss? All while selling quite profitable vehicles, including hybrids.....then carefully watching and preparing to move quickly should the market demand more than 1% BEV take rate.

And quite contrary to some beliefs, you can't enter the BEV market too late. That is just plain dumb. Nobody, not Ford, GM or even Jag, will ever have the image of a Tesla. It's just about providing customers what they want, minus huge risks to your bottom line.
That is one take. Another would be that right before the iPhone was introduced everyone wanted a Crackberry, and every other manufacturer was releasing phones with keyboards on them, just like the Blackberry. How is Blackberry doing right now? Phones with keyboards?

I understand that Ford wants to be cautious. But there is a large continuum between having practically nothing going on (Ford) and being Tesla. Maybe Ford ought to try being more Jaguar. You know, ONE reasonable honest effort. Maybe they just prefer losing money building Fiestas. Maybe they prefer losing money building Ford GTs. I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that Tesla, according to their suppliers, is about to ramp to 5,000 3s a week, or more BEVs in a week and a half than Ford has sold total BEVs over the last 5 and a half years. So, you can say what you want, but that is a pretty broad gulf.

I just want to see Ford act like they have a plan, rather than look like they're trying to placate board members by trotting out cutesy buzz words and boutique hipster office spaces.

Last, this isn't a "pissing contest." This is an honest appraisal of what Ford is intentionally signaling to the world: "We'll wait and see." You think it is smart; I don't. That doesn't make it a pissing contest.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is one take. Another would be that right before the iPhone was introduced everyone wanted a Crackberry, and every other manufacturer was releasing phones with keyboards on them, just like the Blackberry. How is Blackberry doing right now? Phones with keyboards?

I understand that Ford wants to be cautious. But there is a large continuum between having practically nothing going on (Ford) and being Tesla. Maybe Ford ought to try being more Jaguar. You know, ONE reasonable honest effort. Maybe they just prefer losing money building Fiestas. Maybe they prefer losing money building Ford GTs. I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that Tesla, according to their suppliers, is about to ramp to 5,000 3s a week, or more BEVs in a week and a half than Ford has sold total BEVs over the last 5 and a half years. So, you can say what you want, but that is a pretty broad gulf.

I just want to see Ford act like they have a plan, rather than look like they're trying to placate board members by trotting out cutesy buzz words and boutique hipster office spaces.

Last, this isn't a "pissing contest." This is an honest appraisal of what Ford is intentionally signaling to the world: "We'll wait and see." You think it is smart; I don't. That doesn't make it a pissing contest.

Just to be clear, did you really just equate a $50,000 transportation device to haul your family in.....with a trendy $500 phone?

And Ford has plenty going on right now, it's called profit. How is Tesla doing again in that minor point? BINGO.

Here is something to remember as the entire industry floods the market in the next few years with competition for Tesla, to a segment that STILL only yields less than 1% of the market, that sometimes a little caution can pay big dividends. People expect everyone to pivot in the next couple years and abandon their ICE and hybrids, and run to BEV. A company that builds it's profits off trucks, can't make that bet.....just yet. But WHEN people start looking for more BEV, Ford will of course provide them what they want.....must to the dismay of their bottom line.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here's the utility vehicle I want to see in Ford's U.S. showrooms.

Not much chance of that happening. But I suppose they could lift it, put cladding on it and called it a CUV.

If such a vehicle were made in Mexico, possibly with a hybrid powertrain, I'd certainly consider it. Based on Ford's statement, it wouldn't wear any variation of the Fusion badge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts