Ford Inside News banner

Ford Sales Rise 3.4 Percent for March 2014

30K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·

Ford Inside News
April 1, 2014
By: Austin Rutherford

In typically one of the best volume months of the year, Ford's sales rose 3.4 percent in March 2014 to 244,167 units. This rise was, in part, thanks to shipments that were delayed to weather in the past two months. Ford brand and Lincoln brand sales rose 2.6 and 31.4 percent respectively. Retail sales rose 3 percent.

Ford brand sales were lead by the Fusion, which saw sales rise 8.8 percent for a new monthly record of over 32,000 units. Mustang sales also rose 21 percent as Spring started over a good portion of the country.

Taking into account the Utility PI, Explorer sales topped the 19,000 unit mark in March. Utility sales rose as a whole 3.2 percent thanks also to the Flex and Expedition, which saw sales rise 15.3 and 21.2 percent respectively. Ford Edge sales also rose 5.1 percent.

F-Series once again topped the 70,000 unit mark as sales rose 5.1 percent. Ford E-Series and Heavy Trucks also came out in positive territory, while the Transit Connect appears to have supply issues with the switchover.

Lincoln sales were once again helped by the new MkZ, which saw sales rise 71.7 percent. The model's sales rose to over 4,000 units for a new monthly record. Every Lincoln model in March, except for the MkT, saw a rise in sales.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, they sold over 4K MKZs, I'd say that legitimizes Lincoln's revitalization efforts. Wait until MKC gets here!

The Lincoln brand at 8,969 units sold had the best monthly sales since before Jan 2010, and I can't say when because i can't see data back further.

MKZ at 4,052 had it's best sales month EVER, with last month being its closets at 3,044.

MKX at 2,581 had it's best sales month(in over 23 months) since March 2012 at 2,609

Navigator at 746 had it's best March sales since before March 2010, and it's best sales month since Dec 2013 at 942

MKS at 1,034 had it's best March sales since March 2012 at 1,689, and it's best month since Dec 2013 at 1,074

MKT at 556 had it's best monthly sales since Dec 2013 at 598

#5 ·
The Ford Brand at 234,448 had it's highest sales month since before 2010, again it as far back as I can see.

Here is an overview of each model sales and their best months.

C-MAX at 2,295 was down from March 2013(prior mpg decrease), but best month since Nov 2013 at 2,398.

Edge at 12,862 had it's best March since 2012, and best sales month since June 2013 at 13,579

Escape at 28,710 was down from March 2013, but best month since May 2013 at 29,123

Explorer at 19,334 had it's best month since before 2010.

Expedition at 3,720 had it's best March since before 2010, and best month since Dec 2013 at 4,325

F-Series at 70,940 had it's best March since before 2010, and best month since Dec 2013 at 74,592

Fiesta 6,592 was doen from March 2013, but best month since Aug 2013 at 6,744

Flex at 2,498 had it's best March since 2012, and best month since Aug 2013 at 2,641

Focus at 23,974 was down from March 2013, but best month since May 2013 at 27,186

Fusion at 32,963 had it's best sales month EVER. Next closest month was March 2013 at 30,284 (Altima 35,921, Accord 33,962, Highest Incentives + $1,000 Lease Discount Camry 41,953)

Mustang at 9,305 had it's best month since June 2012 at 10,263

Taurus at 6,576 was down from March 2013, but best month since Aug at 8,177

Transit Connect at 3,046 was down from March 2013, but best month since Dec 2013 at 3,787

#6 ·
Nice to see that the Lincoln brand is selling more vehicles, the MKZ has to conitnue with that sales each month, I can´t wait to see the MKC at dealers!
Lincoln is doing well with just 5 models and 21k sales, and the MKC and 2015 Navigator will bring a nice boost to sales.

Currently Infiniti with 13 models is just 10,000 units ahead of Lincoln YTD at 31k

#8 ·
link to the chart please?

#15 ·
“March sales turned noticeably higher midmonth and finished strong,” he said in a statement. “Fusion set an all-time record in March, as overall retail sales in the West continued to expand at the fastest rate in the nation -- including California being up 32 percent.”

Felice said conquest sales are driving Fusion sales in the West, particularly in Southern California, where 56 percent of sales are coming from other brands, most notably Toyota.

Customers in Southern California have been snapping up hybrid versions of the Fusion, he said.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140401/RETAIL01/140409980/1448

Over 17,000 Fusion new owners were conquest customers in import dominate CA, switched from another brand(Toyota, Honda, Nissan). Ford is really gaining market share in the largest auto market in the US.

#17 ·
Wow, the ATS and XTS are really bleeding. I wonder why?
I think GM had to cut incentives so they have the cash to pay for all the recalls that keep pouring in.

Or it could be that the over the top design gets old quickly.

MKZ, especially the hybrid is really gaining traction against the imports in CA helping Lincoln with improving brand identity. With the 2015 MKC starting production April 21st, and demonstrators already in dealer showrooms taking pre-orders, sales should take off quickly.

I wonder how we can find out how MKC pre-orders are coming along???

#18 ·
I think GM had to cut incentives so they have the cash to pay for all the recalls that keep pouring in.

MKZ, especially the hybrid is really gaining traction against the imports in CA helping Lincoln with improving brand identity. With the 2015 MKC starting production April 21st, and demonstrators already in dealer showrooms taking pre-orders, sales should take off quickly.

how many pre-orders have the MKC? it would be nice as you say to know that.

#19 ·

I'm surprised that the MKZ is selling better over time. Usually luxury model sales start out strong and decline with time. The opposite is happening with the MKZ. I wonder if the word "Lincoln" prominently spelled out on the back is familiarizing people with it? It's like free advertising, and I think it's a great move on Lincoln's part. Most people can't distinguish a car simply by looking at the rear end (us car guys are an exception), but having the brand name spelled out on the back is a dead giveaway.

And if the MKZ can pull around 4,000 sales per month, the MKC should at least match that. When the MKC comes, MKZ sales may decrease a little bit, but it will help Lincoln long-term.

#21 ·
I'm surprised that the MKZ is selling better over time. Usually luxury model sales start out strong and decline with time. The opposite is happening with the MKZ. I wonder if the word "Lincoln" prominently spelled out on the back is familiarizing people with it? It's like free advertising, and I think it's a great move on Lincoln's part. Most people can't distinguish a car simply by looking at the rear end (us car guys are an exception), but having the brand name spelled out on the back is a dead giveaway.

And if the MKZ can pull around 4,000 sales per month, the MKC should at least match that. When the MKC comes, MKZ sales may decrease a little bit, but it will help Lincoln long-term.
both MKC and MKZ have to sell 4000 per month to help Lincoln

#22 ·
I think inventory is still an issue, I've been fairly aggressively shopping a Explorer, the past few weeks, inventory is absolutely terrible, and even of the ones I am finding, many say "in-transit" they are pretty-much selling them as fast as they can make them. (at least around here).

#25 ·
Reactions: 2b2
#26 ·
Did the Navi outsell the Escalade???
I need to fix that. The Navi numbers are combined Standard and L model. For the Escalade, that number was just the Standard version. The ESV sold 508 and the EXT sold 8. For a total of 1259.

But Lincoln selling 746 Navigators vs 1259 Escalades is a big deal. Escalade is now less than double the Navigator sales.

Comparing with 2013, the Navigator sold 8,613 vs 26,000+ for the Escalade. With Escalade selling over 3 times the number of Navigators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.