Ford Inside News banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't follow this stuff at all, but I am a Blackberry user and love my phone, so I am very happy to hear this news! I would love to see the consumer side of BB pick up, as I really think that they have fantastic phones and a super OS for many average phone users like myself.

And while I haven't had the chance to use Sync yet, anything that helps it lose this reputation (deserved or not) of being buggy is encouraging!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm kind of meh on this decision. MFT has been flawless for us, so as long as the QNX system is too then I guess I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I rented a Ford Explorer over the Thanksgiving holiday to drive from MD to S.C. I'm not sure if it was the basic Sync or MFT but it was complete mess, the AC turned on without us touching anything. The radio stations would change suddenly and the volume would go up and down. The only way to stop these issues was to turn the vehicle off for a few minutes for it to reset I guess.

I questioned Ford tagging up with Microsoft from day 1 for it's infotainment systems. Microsoft has a pattern of overprogramming it's software and the constant bugs and fixes. It's not surprising to me that Ford has had all the issues. No matter the fixes they make, if the base programming is off, it will be slow buggy program. I'm not convinced about Blackberry specifically for there financial issues and on how much longer they will be around. I think a better option would've been Linux, Google, or Apple.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Keep in mind that they are shifting to QNX which is a division of Blackberry, and it is a platform being utilized by many major automakers. They are not switching to Blackberry they are utilizing the QNX platform.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Keep in mind that they are shifting to QNX which is a division of Blackberry, and it is a platform being utilized by many major automakers. They are not switching to Blackberry they are utilizing the QNX platform.
And QNX predated its BB ownership and has been used in just this type of application from the beginning. In the end if BB were to go belly up QNX would simply be sold off in the bankruptcy and a new company would keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
MFT has gotten better over the years, but it's still noticeably slower and less responsive than competing QNX-based products in the industry (and by most accounts the worst in the business). It's just an unnecessarily inferior product that remains buggy, it needs to be up-ended and I'm very glad to see this finally happening. Ford just made a very bad choice selecting Microsoft as a partner following their successful SYNC effort.

·
Registered
267 Posts
After 40,000 miles with our Explorer, I can only say MFT is a mess. Slow and unreliable are the words that come to mind first. It has gotten better with the updates, but it is still far from where it (or any system inside a car that controls so many functions) needs to be. It is a shame really, as the system is amazingly powerful, with many features that I will miss in my next car. Between us and people we know that own or have rented MFT/MLT vehicles (Explorers, Edges, MKXs, Taurus, Fusion, Escape, Focus), all of the vehicles have exhibited poor performance from the MyTouch systems. Here is to hoping that the system gets fixed (and I don't really care how), and we can be rid of one more aggravation of our Explorer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And QNX predated its BB ownership and has been used in just this type of application from the beginning. In the end if BB were to go belly up QNX would simply be sold off in the bankruptcy and a new company would keep on keeping on.
can't go bankrupt if you have no debt. simple economics.

For all the perception of BB being in dire straights, company has $3 billion in the bank, zero debt and revenue streams via their entrpise subscriptions and QNX in car business. They are no. 1 in enterprise and no. 1 in in car as well, so it's not like they are in weak positions.

Without creditors to call in loans (again, refer back to no debt comment), the company stays a float until cash burn moves them to negative.....and $3 billion can keep a company that still has revenue stream a float for a very long time. The last right off was only a paper right off as well, not actual lose. Ford is far to smart to hitch their wagon that is sliding over a cliff.

BlackBerry is transitioning their business model to focus on enterprise and M2M, so handset sales (which no one can argue have been in decline ..... pity really, becuse BB10 is the ballz) won't factor into bottom line by end of 2014

Ford made the right call here....should have used QNX from the start to be honest. Even the simplistic Sync system in my 2011 Fusion is a cluster. You never know which day it will decide to stop listening, or pair incorrectly.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
can't go bankrupt if you have no debt. simple economics.

For all the perception of BB being in dire straights, company has $3 billion in the bank, zero debt and revenue streams via their entrpise subscriptions and QNX in car business. They are no. 1 in enterprise and no. 1 in in car as well, so it's not like they are in weak positions.

Without creditors to call in loans (again, refer back to no debt comment), the company stays a float until cash burn moves them to negative.....and $3 billion can keep a company that still has revenue stream a float for a very long time. The last right off was only a paper right off as well, not actual lose. Ford is far to smart to hitch their wagon that is sliding over a cliff.

BlackBerry is transitioning their business model to focus on enterprise and M2M, so handset sales (which no one can argue have been in decline ..... pity really, becuse BB10 is the ballz) won't factor into bottom line by end of 2014

Ford made the right call here....should have used QNX from the start to be honest. Even the simplistic Sync system in my 2011 Fusion is a cluster. You never know which day it will decide to stop listening, or pair incorrectly.
I wasn't implying anything otherwise, only pointing out the QNX had a life before BB, and in the event BB did go bankrupt that QNX would have a life beyond.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wasn't implying anything otherwise, only pointing out the QNX had a life before BB, and in the event BB did go bankrupt that QNX would have a life beyond.
I know, just wanted to clarify. You also pointed out correctly that is BB were to go out of business, someone would no doubt buy up the QNX assets/division (but again, going out of business shouldnt be the concern.....maybe selling off one of the division to generate capitol yes, but not going belly up). Had this discussion on another board that ended up blowing up and starting by People saying why Blackberry they are almost out of business, and won't be aruond to support Ford (they only understood the handset business).

I take a fair amount of interest in mobile tech (especially the finacials of it), and the misconceptions about BlackBerry are that they are almost Bankrupt...which if course is impossible at this stage and in the foreseeable future. Another is BlackBerry is outdated, which of course it isn't (it has the newest OS on the market and the only one that runs on a Microkernal....which is QNX). And finally most people only equate BlackBerry to phones, which understandably is the case, but in truth their other segments are where their revenue is generated from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Even the simplistic Sync system in my 2011 Fusion is a cluster. You never know which day it will decide to stop listening, or pair incorrectly.
My last phone (an HTC model) worked flawlessly with the Sync system. My new phone, an LG G2 (damn nice phone by the way) works as you describe. Somedays works fine, the next day it cannot be found by the basic sync system. Very irritating, as I cannot figure out why. Phone works with any other device without sisue, so I doubt it is the phone. Seems like Micorsoft is the easy blame, as my work computer, and home PC's all have issues regarding Microsoft.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My last phone (an HTC model) worked flawlessly with the Sync system. My new phone, an LG G2 (damn nice phone by the way) works as you describe. Somedays works fine, the next day it cannot be found by the basic sync system. Very irritating, as I cannot figure out why. Phone works with any other device without sisue, so I doubt it is the phone. Seems like Micorsoft is the easy blame, as my work computer, and home PC's all have issues regarding Microsoft.
The other day, I asked for "Bluetooth audio", and it started playing the sound effects from my Flappy Bird game!!! The game was not even active (Checked through my app manager on the phone). It did fire up the Music player on my device thou, and started playing off the playlist, but the audio wasn't transferrring through. needless to say my 11 year old got a kick out of it!

Don't even get me started on the recognition of voice command

me: Call John Smith
Sync: Calling Margret Vancofsky

.....I'm not even exaggerating LOL!

Then there is some days it works flawlessly. I think it PMS's or something

21 - 35 of 35 Posts