Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Opens New Engine Plant in Brazil to Produce the Advanced 1.0L 3-Cylinder TiVCT Flex Fuel Engine
Ford

Apr-09-2014 4:00 PM ET

​SALVADOR, Brazil – Ford opened today its new Camaçari Engine Plant to produce the 1.0 3-Cylinder TiVCT Flex Fuel engine, an entirely new family of 3 cylinder engines with advanced technology for the compact car segment.

The opening was attended by the Minister for Transport, César Borges, the governor of Bahia, Jaques Wagner, among other authorities. For Ford, attended the company's president, Steven Armstrong, Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Rogelio Golfarb, and director of Manufacturing, Vagner Galeote.

Built at Ford Northeast Industrial Complex in Camaçari, Brazil, the new plant is among the most modern in the world and is designed to meet global quality and productivity standards. The event highlight this new innovation and Ford´s commitment to Brazil and the State of Bahia with the inauguration of Northeastern Brazil´s first engine plant.

The plant is part of a $400 million Reais investment and has an annual capacity to produce 210,000 engines. The 300 new employees hired to work at the plant collectively received more than 380,000 hours of training

“The Camaçari Engine Plant is an integral part of Ford’s fastest and most ambitious global manufacturing expansion in 50 years,” said John Fleming, Ford’s executive vice president, Global Manufacturing and Labor Affairs. “This year, Ford is embarking on the company’s most aggressive product launch cadence, introducing 23 new vehicles globally. This engine plant will help to support our manufacturing and product growth strategy.”

With about 40 robots and automatic part loaders, the assembly line at the plant operates with a high level of automation. Its 34 machining centers offer wide flexibility for the production of components. In addition to these stations, there are 15 special units for machining engine blocks and heads. The assembly line is equipped with the latest high performance tools, designed to deliver efficiency and ergonomics for operators.

The 1.0 ECOnetic Flex engine, with three inline cylinders, brings dual-command TiVCT technology to the segment. It has a very compact design and uses the Easy Start cold start technology, which eliminates the need for the traditional small fuel tank under the hood. It features an aluminum head and innovations such as the belt in oil drive, dual-stage cooling system and designs to reduce vibration.

The new engine plant at Ford’s Northeast Industrial Complex operates on an intelligent central management system that connects 100 percent of equipment via Wi-Fi. The system allows the production, quality control, and maintenance to be monitored online. In addition, it enables the online control of the factory environment temperature.

As part of the quality system, the production area is completely isolated and has a system of positive air pressure which eliminates to zero the risk of engine contamination in the production chain. This control also includes 100 percent traceability of the stations that will make possible the production history of each item in the engine. The process is monitored by high-definition cameras that check the parts’ correct positioning in the engine’s assembly as part of a zero defect strategy.

The event announces over this large investment, a new commitment by Ford to the country and the region, and thus reinforces the new image of the company in terms of technology and innovation.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford said:
...the 1.0 3-Cylinder TiVCT Flex Fuel engine, an entirely new family of 3 cylinder engines with advanced technology for the compact car segment...
iirc, I've read that Brazil gets a LOT of its fuel from sugarcane alcohol
so
I'm wondering if these are (that) different from our little 1.0's, or not

also
afaik/iirc, the US-Focus hasn't had a 1.5/1.6EB - is that right? just the 2.0 & 2.0EB?
&
do Focii elsehwere have one? and if so what trim?

Thinking maybe Ford-NA might be Very concerned about CAFE if they jumped-over the middle size

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iirc, I've read that Brazil gets a LOT of its fuel from sugarcane alcohol
so
I'm wondering if these are (that) different from our little 1.0's, or not

also
afaik/iirc, the US-Focus hasn't had a 1.5/1.6EB - is that right? just the 2.0 & 2.0EB?
&
do Focii elsehwere have one? and if so what trim?

Thinking maybe Ford-NA might be Very concerned about CAFE if they jumped-over the middle size
For 2015 Europe gets the Focus with 1.5L EcoBoost.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Engines 2015 Ford Focus (Europe) not including ST variant

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^....this is why I think we are getting a new 1.0L EB engine.

Replacing the current 2.0L 160hp 146 torque Ti-VCT engine with a 123hp 125 torque 1.0L EB in the bigger Focus won't work in the US. With our faster driving speeds, that little 123hp engine would world so hard moving that big Focus that the fuel economy gains would be lost.

Fiesta hatch manual weighs 2537

Focus hatch manual weighs 2938

Clearly a new engine is coming to the US(HyBoost?), or Ford would not be so quiet about naming the hp and torque when mentioning that it's a 1.0L EcoBoost.

But we do know 'initially' it will be 6-speed manual.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Replacing the current 2.0L 160hp 146 torque Ti-VCT engine with a 123hp 125 torque 1.0L EB in the bigger Focus won't work in the US. With our faster driving speeds, that little 123hp engine would world so hard moving that big Focus that the fuel economy gains would be lost.

Fiesta hatch manual weighs 2537

Focus hatch manual weighs 2938

Clearly a new engine is coming to the US(HyBoost?), or Ford would not be so quiet about naming the hp and torque when mentioning that it's a 1.0L EcoBoost.

But we do know 'initially' it will be 6-speed manual.
Bloggin, the first parts sound like a contradiction to me

edit finally caught the "new" (naturally AFTER I posted :blush: )

&
from MKII's list :thumb:
imho the *perfect* Focus engines would be the 2 (TWO!) versions of the 1.5EB: 150PS & 180PS
(note: "PS" is very similar to US HP, tho not identical )
tho
wonder about a non-manual tranny for them
7speed DSG?
9speed GM-partenered auto?
recently (GMI-)mentioned 8speed auto?​
&tho
reminder: the 1.0EB has been observed testing @ at least 180hp

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

Figures from the Euro-spec Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost:
0-62mph (100km/h): 11.3 seconds
Top Speed: 120mph

I don't support speeding. :D

Anyway, back to topic, I wonder where else they plan to use this new naturally aspirated 1.0 Ti-VCT Flex-fuel engine, aside from the Brazil-spec Ford Ka?
I read Ford just applied to join Phase II of Thailand's Eco Car Program (current status: waiting approval)... could this mean an ASEAN spec Ford Ka could be coming in a few years? Possibly powered by the new 1.0 Ti-VCT engine? Hmmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts