Ford Inside News banner

Ford struggling to find buyers for Volvo

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Ford is reportedly having trouble offloading its failing Volvo subsidiary, with German carmaker Daimler over the weekend strongly denying any interest in the Swedish brand. Volvo, which was once a part of Ford's mighty Premier Automotive Group, is now one of the last remaining vestiges of Ford's former empire, and finding a buyer is becoming more and more difficult for the Blue Oval
http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-struggling-to-find-buyers-for-volvo.html

I call this good news, since the Swedes gave them money anyways.

#3 ·
Volvo needs a smaller car than the little thing they just made off the S40. They need something based on Fiesta.
This would put them right in place for a good price range, (in the teens) to capture the Japanese small sedan market.
Would you buy a corolla or a Volvo?

If Ford is having trouble with Volvo, perhaps Saab is a keeper for GM or dead as we speak. Though they say Saab is profitable in North America.
I guess it would have to be considering how old the 9-5 is, and even the 9-3 is. I saw you can grab a 9-3X sportCombi with XWD and a 2.0 liter turbo for cheap. Tempting. But I love my Tahoe.

#4 ·
Volvo's bleeding as far as car sales is concerned is the USA market, Volvo's biggest market.
What Volvo needs to do is deal with its terrible quality and reliability stats.
In J.D. Power & Associates' Initial Quality Study, which measures consumer-reported defects, Volvo scored 133 defects reported per 100 vehicles in the first 30 days of ownership. That's well above the industry average of 124, and a long way from the 93 scored by Toyota's (TM) Lexus and even Hyundai's 102. The story doesn't get much better for Power's measure of dependability, where Volvo scores 272 problems per 100 vehicles over three years of ownership. That's about twice as many complaints as Lexus.

Worldwide Volvo sales are not too bad, but in the U.S.A. its largest market, sales are in the ****ter.

A car smaller then the C30 IMO will not help sales, especially in U.S.A. were Volvo cannot move 5,000 C30s a year.

#5 ·
...A car smaller then the C30 IMO will not help sales, especially in U.S.A. were Volvo cannot move 5,000 C30s a year.
Agree for US
(tho I NEVER saw a commercial for the C30 :mad: )

the S60, which used to be their main volume here, is SOOO OVERDUE
And has been a huge HOLE in the middle of their lineup!!!

IF it's as good as it seems so far
& they re-base the C70 and maybe a Xuv on it
& the S40-V50 replacement is HALF much of an improvement as the current S40 was over the last one (Mitsubishi Carisma based)...

...Volvo is home-free imho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.