Ford Inside News banner

Ford Sync 3 Announced: All-New Interface Design

15K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  LincolnFanFl 
#1 ·

Ford today announced the new Sync 3 system which includes a completely redesigned interface, eliminating the quadrant layout. MyFord Touch branding is now gone and falls in-line with the global branding for these systems.

Unfortunately, Sync 3 at launch is using outdated Siri Eye's Free instead of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Performance looks much better, much brighter and simpler interface with larger buttons. They've also engineered a new touchscreen which works with multi-touch so you can pinch to zoom and such.

Layout generally resembles other car systems with a row of icons at the bottom of the screen, although the design is less graphical or colorful.

Sync 3 is launching on 2016 MY cars and is not compatible with existing systems. But good news here is that the system can be updated via WiFi at home.

The videos also reveal the updated Fusion center console. Screen size is unchanged.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...w--innovative-ways-for-people-to-connect.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-sync-3-announced/

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
The Ford system looks a little stark, but it's fairly clean compared to the competing systems. I think their HMI guys did their homework. I do hate the bright gray/blue color palette which is what kills it for me and I'm hoping the Lincoln guys do something better, and darker!

Discussion starter · #10 ·
The Verge reveals that the new touch screen is capacitive instead of resistive, using a TI SOC, and does have a dark mode which is automatically enabled at night. Some other good info in there, including an issue with implementing a Siri button since Apple won't permit them to design/use an icon.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7375837/ford-sync-3-announced

As much as I like Apple Car Play, and especially Android Auto, I am not inclined to physically connect my phone each time I hop in the car unless I'm driving a long distance.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Na not really. QNX was only bought by BlackBerry 4.5 years ago for the purpose of developing a whole new mobile computing platform and just so happens to form the backbone of all BlackBerry phones launched in the last 2 years. /sarcasm

QNX's unique micro-kernal architecture makes for an efficient and reliable system. It now forms one of the main pillars of BlackBerry.

To add before BlackBerry QNX was fairly basic and mostly used for industrial and commercial interfaces. BlackBerry has a huge intellectual property pool and much of the multimedia and interconnection capabilities displayed by QNX's new in-car systems comes from BlackBerry.
My point is that Blackberry can fold/sell the shrinking phone business and QNX will still be there. So everybody is under the misunderstanding that Ford has aligned itself with a doomed company when it's really just the phone business they're thinking about.

You're talking to somebody with a Blackberry Passport btw.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Sync 3 is arriving on 2016 MY cars at the end of 2015 so cars like the 2015 Focus and Edge, or even the 2016 Explorer do not get it yet. Ford says Sync 3 will be fully deployed on all cars by the end of 2016. Sync 3 is effectively 2 years away from full deployment. So I imagine Sync 3 will launch alongside the 2016 Edge and MKX in the fall of next year for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.