Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming small roadster from Ford? I've now heard from two different people who work in some shape or form with Ford that there's a "Thunderbird" roadster project under way. The only details I have thus far are:

1. The car will be Mazda MX-5 sized, slightly longer, wide-bodied and low in height
2. 1.0L EcoBoost and 2.0L EcoBoost but designed to fit the 3.5L EcoBoost if a high performance version is desired
3. Lightest vehicle in it's class (goal)
4. Available in both manual and automatic

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nothing that small will be a "Thunderbird", I'd go with "Capri" as a better name at that size.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Two thoughts:

1. What platform will it be based off of?
2. What will it compete against?

If I were to revive the Thunderbird, it would be a true Telnack T-Bird successor. Midsize. Mustang based. No convertible. Plentiful high performance variants. Base price around $45k.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Two thoughts:

1. What platform will it be based off of?
2. What will it compete against?

If I were to revive the Thunderbird, it would be a true Telnack T-Bird successor. Midsize. Mustang based. No convertible. Plentiful high performance variants. Base price around $45k.
I would expect it to be based of a RWD version of the new b-segment 98" wheelbase platform to be shared with the NEW Fiesta for MY2016. By comparison, a Porsche Boxster/Cayman has a 97.4" wheelbase, and the 911 is just 96.4", with the Miata at just 91".

A Ford roadster with the 2.0: EcoBoost at 240hp and 270 torque would best the Miata 2.0L at 167hp and 140 torque, and closer to the Boxter/Cayman at 265hp and 206 torque.

BTW.....Porsche is not moving to an I-4 in the Boxster/Cayman.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I emphatically agree with N.R. & Zan that nothing
-- Miata/Boxster/911 sized
-- 2 seater
-- mid-engined
should ever be called a Thunderbird
...since it came out I've favored something close to the AstonMartin Ripide!! or
more recently: Panamera-size(great interior too; bag the outside)
_ovl____wlb____w____ht________
196.8 - 117.7 - 75~ -- 53~ - AM Rapide (old numbers)
196.0 - 116.5 - 77.3 - 56.5 - Tesla-S (this was just HERE on my list)
195.7 - 115.0 - 76.0 - 55.8 - Porsche Panamera

for something smaller, that CAN be a mid-engined 2-seater, I'm on-board with N.R.'s "COBRA"
tho would rather its snake emblem wrapped around a
'Cobra HP with gen2 EBs
1.0 = 180
1.5 = 225 (150perL)
2.0 = 280 (140perL)
2.3 = 345 (150perL)
think I'd do the 1.5 & 2.0 first, then the 2.3 top-dog;
then with established street-cred, finally add the 1 Liter

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It would seem that the New version of the 1935 Lincoln Convertible Roadster would be based on the 2015 Mustang Convertible.

But a smaller roadster that would compete with the Miata/Boxster wouldn't be a Thunderbird. But Capri sounds too female, and Cobra belongs to the Mustang.

Maybe bringing back the RS200?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It would seem that the New version of the 1935 Lincoln Convertible Roadster would be based on the 2015 Mustang Convertible.

But a smaller roadster that would compete with the Miata/Boxster wouldn't be a Thunderbird. But Capri sounds too female, and Cobra belongs to the Mustang.

Maybe bringing back the RS200?
The Cobra name stood on it's own and could once again. The Mustang just borrowed the name in order to keep the trademark firmly in Ford's grasp.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hmmm, If Ford really were going to come out with a car like this, I would much prefer it as a Lincoln. Ford brand already has the Mustang convertible, and a low-volume roadster done right could allow Lincoln to command a higher price.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
scford58 said:
What about "Falcon"? A small roadster/cabriolet that could really fly.....
I really like saving a Name with that much heritage
but
I'm not yet convinced that FoMoCo won't keep it alive (somehow) in Australia
so
came up with these besides Cobra:
Piranha, Vampire, Lycan, Fox
&

from a Cadillac nomeclature thread on GMI
WHAT IF they had a program-name something like 2.4
for 2-seater/4cyls, which could be called "TwentyFour"**,
AND use that as the model name plus use a different critter-name for each drivetrain...
...just thinking

** "TwentyFour" is a deliberate, tho justifiable, ploy for young clientele

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nothing that small will be a "Thunderbird", I'd go with "Capri" as a better name at that size.
Outside of America and Australia, this is what instantly comes to mind when people hear the name Ford Capri, specially in Europe...

PS: A modern interpretation of the Mustang 1 Concept would be cool though.

Give it a 252hp 2.0 EcoBoost engine and you've got an Alfa 4C killer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I really like saving a Name with that much heritage
but
I'm not yet convinced that FoMoCo won't keep it alive (somehow) in Australia
so
came up with these besides Cobra:
Piranha, Vampire, Lycan, Fox
&

from a Cadillac nomeclature thread on GMI
WHAT IF they had a program-name something like 2.4
for 2-seater/4cyls, which could be called "TwentyFour"**,
AND use that as the model name plus use a different critter-name for each drivetrain...
...just thinking

** "TwentyFour" is a deliberate, tho justifiable, ploy for young clientele
I'm not sure 2b2, the first thing I thought of when reading 2.4 = Twenty Four is "For Two and For Four" from the not so Smart brand. (LOL) I agree with your approach for younger clientele though.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I wish Ford would bring back a midsized coupe and Thunderbird is a fine name for it, although Maverick, Falcon, or Torino would be welcomed by me as well. I'd prefer it to be on the new Mustang platform but could deal with one on a stretched Fusion chassis as long as AWD was available with the EB3.5L V6.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts