Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford to Launch Advanced Steering Technology to Help Make Vehicles Easier to Maneuver, More Fun to Drive

DEARBORN, Mich. – Ford Motor Company is bringing to market a new generation of steering technology that will help make vehicles easier to maneuver at low speeds and in tight spaces. At higher speeds, the new technology will help make the vehicle more agile and fun to drive.

“First and foremost, all Ford Motor Company products have to offer a great driving experience,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “This new steering technology can make any vehicle easier to maneuver and more fun to drive.”

Adaptive steering changes the ratio between the driver’s actions at the steering wheel – the number of turns – and how much the front wheels turn. In traditional vehicles, this is a fixed steering ratio. With Ford’s new Adaptive Steering, the steering ratio continually changes with vehicle speed, optimizing the steering response in all conditions.

At lower speeds, such as when pulling into a parking space or maneuvering in tight quarters, the new system makes the vehicle more agile and easier to turn, as it dials more steering into the road wheel. Each low-speed maneuver requires less turning of the steering wheel.

At highway speeds, the system further optimizes steering response, enabling the vehicle to react more smoothly and precisely to driver input. Adaptive steering can help the driver feel more comfortable and can make any drive more enjoyable.

Ford’s system uses a precision-controlled actuator placed inside the steering wheel, and requires no change to a vehicle’s traditional steering system. The actuator – an electric motor and gearing system – can essentially add to or subtract from a driver’s steering inputs. The result is a better driving experience at all speeds, regardless of vehicle size or class.

Adaptive Steering will be available on select vehicles beginning next year. The system was developed for production by Ford in collaboration with Takata, a leading supplier of automotive steering and safety systems and a Ford Aligned Business Framework partner.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FIY....this new steering system is different and should work with EPAS that Ford already offers.

"Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) automatically adjusts to deliver precise feel and control at higher speeds, and the required assistance at slower speeds when needed. EPAS features drift control and active nibble control. Drift control technology detects road conditions – such as a crowned road surface or crosswinds – and adjusts the EPAS to compensate. The active nibble control feature uses the EPAS motor to reduce unwanted vibrations in the steering wheel. The result is a comfortable driving experience and responsive steering."

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Linky ^

BUT
isn't EPAS a drive-by-wire system?
& isn't the new doohickie ALSO a drive-by-wire system?
so
a Double drive-by-wire system??

&
I remember reading about old, possibly original, variable-ratio steering in a magazine
(( those were like a website printed out on paper ... this was way back around the time the car finally replaced the chariot ... prolley like in the '70s ))
and saw a picture of a gear of the mechanism that was shaped like a spindle or hourglass(don't ask)...

...anyway,
Bloggin said:
...features drift control and active nibble control...
I wonder:
--- if the new doohickie makes it harder to INTENTIONALLY drift ... so only for F-Awd & 99% of Rwd "drivers"
--- if that nibble control will help the car lose weight

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
^ Linky ^

BUT
isn't EPAS a drive-by-wire system?
& isn't the new doohickie ALSO a drive-by-wire system?
so
a Double drive-by-wire system??

&
I remember reading about old, possibly original, variable-ratio steering in a magazine
(( those were like a website printed out on paper ... this was way back around the time the car finally replaced the chariot ... prolley like in the '70s ))
and saw a picture of a gear of the mechanism that was shaped like a spindle or hourglass(don't ask)...

...anyway,
I wonder:
--- if the new doohickie makes it harder to INTENTIONALLY drift ... so only for F-Awd & 99% of Rwd "drivers"
--- if that nibble control will help the car lose weight
Last time I checked, "Drive by wire" usually means no mechanical connection.

An example of drive by wire for steering applications (steer by wire) would be the steering of the Infiniti Q50.

1. Steering-Force Sensor: Playing two roles, this unit sends commands to the control modules and acts as the driver's feedback source by varying resistance to the wheel.
2. Clutch: Most of the time it's open. Faults in the electronics force it closed, creating a solid mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the rack.
3. Control Modules: This trio controls the electric-assist motors and the steering-force sensor. They also act as redundancies; you know, for safety.
4. Steering-Assist Motors: Two of these smaller motors are cheaper than one large one. Plus, this arrangement frees some space for a low-slung longitudinal engine.
- http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...itizes-steering-but-the-wheel-remains-feature

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Why could they not make this Lincoln exclusive for the first year? :facepalm:

This is the kind of press that would benefit a brand in need of positive press. It would also give the impression tech bleeding down to Ford rather than up to Lincoln.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

This is the kind of press that would benefit a brand in need of positive press. It would also give the impression tech bleeding down to Ford rather than up to Lincoln.
Agree with you,I saw some pics and they use a fusion to test.this, why they dont use a lincoln instead??

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The only impression I see, is that of a company that wants to improve the safety, comfort and experience for ALL customers….not just a select few.

Bravo to Ford, for recognizing this and not going for a temporary and ultra minor image boost to the very few who would not even notice or care.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
AM222 said:
Last time I checked, "Drive by wire" usually means no mechanical connection...
that's exactly why this new steering tech sounds like EPAS-2 to me

Agree with you, I saw some pics and they use a fusion to test.this, why they dont use a lincoln instead??

my new theory is that

Ford sees Brand as LESS THAN a trim

WHY NOT have everything from a "Titanium" available on an "S"?...

..." Oh! Well THAT would make "Titanium" meaningless"

Exactly =

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I am glad I am not the only one who thought this.... AT LEAST the first year for christ's sake.

But instead it seems like Ford gets features first that then trickle UP to Lincoln.... wait what?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one who thought this.... AT LEAST the first year for christ's sake.

But instead it seems like Ford gets features first that then trickle UP to Lincoln.... wait what?
I would say it's a good thing Wings isn't an executive at Ford, except that the executives at Ford don't appear to have a clue either.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you know Lincoln is not rolling it out to a select few simultaneously?
Good point. The article only states 'select vehicles'. If it's coming next year, I would expect it to be available across the Lincoln lineup. But this is really 'basic' drive function technology that should be on all Ford/Lincoln models, like EPAS and adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Good point. The article only states 'select vehicles'. If it's coming next year, I would expect it to be available across the Lincoln lineup. But this is really 'basic' drive function technology that should be on all Ford/Lincoln models, like EPAS and adaptive cruise control.
So what kind of tech do you believe should be Lincoln exclusive for a period of time, if any?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
that's exactly why this new steering tech sounds like EPAS-2 to me
It depends on the system they are using, because BMW has a system called Active Steering which its been using since the E39 BMW 5-series, and it uses a planetary gear set to change the ratio of the steering depending on the speed.
BMW's Active Steering is not considered Drive by wire or Steer by wire, this was also mentioned in a couple of articles

The steering sytem of the Infiniti Q50 is different, the steering column is normally detached from the rack, a clutch connects it to the rack when the electronics fail. In BMW's system there's always a mechanical connection.

We need to know first how Ford's system works (method they're using).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts