Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD TO RIVAL GENERAL MOTORS ONSTAR WITH NEW SMARTALERT SYSTEM

It was only a few years ago that GM launched its OnStar monitoring system with the ability to arrange services through a concierge, call for help, and for your car to be tracked and monitored if stolen. But the most useful feature was the ability to have your car unlocked if you left the keys inside. Of course, this all came at a rather steep monthly or yearly fee.

Well now Ford has decided to join in on the game and launch its own rival to OnStar dubbed SmartAlert. This system will be sold in conjunction with the new Sync Infotainment system for between $700 and $1200 dollars, with a nominal monthly fee for service. See the attached article from my friends at Left Lane News for the full details.

Ford to offer OnStar-rivaling SmartAlert
Ford has announced that it will begin offering a new vehicle tracking service to rival General Motors' OnStar service. Dubbed SmartAlert, the system will be a dealer-installed option and will compliment Ford's Sync infotainment system.

SmartAlert will be available on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles and will use a GPS system to help locate stole vehicles. SmartAlert will use cellular networks to send the stolen vehicle's location to the proper authorities.

Also like OnStar, SmartAlert will be able to unlock the vehicle's doors through a call center or online interface. In the future, the technology will allow the car's owners to unlock the vehicle's doors via a cell phone.

SmartAlert will also offer parents a tracking option for teen-aged drivers. The system can alert parents by email or text message if the vehicle is being driven at an excessive speed.

According to Automotive News, installation and hardware for the SmartAlert system will cost between $700 and $1,200, with customers paying a subscription fee after that to keep the service.
So what do you think, is this a worthwhile service, or like OnStar, just another monthly expense for something you may rarely use. Leave your thoughts here, we want to know!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Forgive me, as I have not purchased a GM product in years, but how much does onstar cost to buy initially? This car nanny system for Ford seems too expensive to me. If it were $700, with sync and only about $9 per month, maybe. Of course, I don't have teenagers yet and don't yet see it's afull advantage. Maybe I will sing a different tune once I do:(

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The equipment is free.

The yearly charge can run $ 200-400 a year as I recall depending the kind of service one choses.

I have had 2 Cadillacs with On Star. I have never used it. After the first year, I allowed the service to lapse.

I feel the same about the Nav system in my car. I have turned it on only to satisfy the curiosity of a passanger.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, this sounds like a great feature to have.

Like megeebee said I rarely ever use the Nav. system in my cars though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have to say, though that Ford took long enough to answer Onstar. It's been 10 years since it was introduced at GM.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have to say, though that Ford took long enough to answer Onstar. It's been 10 years since it was introduced at GM.
But it is only now (since a couple of years) that OnStar has started to show some usefulness.

Remember when GM first launched OnStar, how some other companies would buy it from GM, like Audi, for example, just to drop it a few years latter like a hot potato.

Now that GM has finally sorted out and vastly improved OnStar it makes sense to offer a similar (and probably better) service.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
This can only be good for end users. I think in the long run, Both Ford and GM will improve their offerings and lower prices to compete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts