·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Name for Next Luxury SUV?
Ford Inside News
July 3, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

As we near the debut the next generation F-Series F-150, it can be easy to forget that it will also bring a new generation of full-size SUVs into the Ford family. These are currently the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, but the latter could be changing names to fit in with the new Lincoln naming scheme.

Ford recently trademarked the moniker "MkN" with the USPTO (Serial Number: 85967850). This could possibly mean the next generation of the Navigator could have its named changed to MkN, which would follow the rest of the Lincoln lineup. Of course, it could be for another vehicle or never used at all.

This would not be the first time Lincoln changed the name of a vehicle to the "Mk-" format. The MkX originally debuted as a concept for a second generation Aviator. In 2007, Lincoln gave a slight facelift to the new Zephyr and changed the name to MkZ in the process.

Thanks to the next generation F-150, the next MkN/Navigator will see a considerable weight loss thanks to aluminum construction. It will also lose the ancient 5.4L V8 in favor of the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. Other engines, including a small diesel, are a possibly. Expect the large SUV to be technology laden in the interior as well.

The MkN/Navigator should debut in late 2014 or early 2015 with production likely continuing at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I will miss the Navigator name. I think the first big luxury SUV in the market deserves keep the name.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Funny how some manufacturers are starting to use names again (Land Rover, Porsche) while others are sticking to the alphabet soup.

I do hope that limited edition models could use names as a byline (MKN Navigator, MKZ Zephyr etc...) like the MKT Towncar does now.

Comparing last years to this years sales to date, Navigator is performing better than any Lincoln in the lineup.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
New Name for Next Luxury SUV?
Ford Inside News
July 3, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

As we near the debut the next generation F-Series F-150, it can be easy to forget that it will also bring a new generation of full-size SUVs into the Ford family. These are currently the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, but the latter could be changing names to fit in with the new Lincoln naming scheme.

Ford recently trademarked the moniker "MkN" with the USPTO (Serial Number: 85967850). This could possibly mean the next generation of the Navigator could have its named changed to MkN, which would follow the rest of the Lincoln lineup. Of course, it could be for another vehicle or never used at all.

This would not be the first time Lincoln changed the name of a vehicle to the "Mk-" format. The MkX originally debuted as a concept for a second generation Aviator. In 2007, Lincoln gave a slight facelift to the new Zephyr and changed the name to MkZ in the process.

Thanks to the next generation F-150, the next MkN/Navigator will see a considerable weight loss thanks to aluminum construction. It will also lose the ancient 5.4L V8 in favor of the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. Other engines, including a small diesel, are a possibly. Expect the large SUV to be technology laden in the interior as well.

The MkN/Navigator should debut in late 2014 or early 2015 with production likely continuing at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
NO! MkN is a bad idea, keep the Navigator "name" :facepalm: :banghead: :angry:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Funny how some manufacturers are starting to use names again (Land Rover, Porsche) while others are sticking to the alphabet soup.

I do hope that limited edition models could use names as a byline (MKN Navigator, MKZ Zephyr etc...) like the MKT Towncar does now.

Comparing last years to this years sales to date, Navigator is performing better than any Lincoln in the lineup.
Percentage wise but percents only tell part of the story. Sales of the Navigator are still abysmal, especially compared to the Escalade.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln has trademarked this before, doesn't guarantee it will ultimately be used. Caddy isn't giving up the Escalade name, makes you wonder why Lincoln would give up Navigator. MKN in particular is a little too obvious and not very appealing, I would be a little surprised honestly. I have nothing against the MK-naming scheme in general, but MKN...doesn't do it.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Lincoln has trademarked this before, doesn't guarantee it will ultimately be used. Caddy isn't giving up the Escalade name, makes you wonder why Lincoln would give up Navigator. MKN in particular is a little too obvious and not very appealing, I would be a little surprised honestly. I have nothing against the MK-naming scheme in general, but MKN...doesn't do it.
I honestly would not be surprised to see them change the name of the Navigator. It has rotted on the vine so long that the name recognition may not be worth having anymore, versus having a unified naming scheme.

It would also make sense if they reposition the Navigator as more a Range Rover type vehicle, as rumored.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I honestly would not be surprised to see them change the name of the Navigator. It has rotted on the vine so long that the name recognition may not be worth having anymore, versus having a unified naming scheme.

It would also make sense if they reposition the Navigator as more a Range Rover type vehicle, as rumored.
I still think it would be foolish to drop it, Navigator was the first, it came before the Escalade but people often forget that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I say lose the Navigator name only IF there will be a significant difference between the upcoming & outgoing models. Meaning that the folks at Lincoln really have the cajones to move forward with an uber luxury SUV program that will rival the likes of Range Rover that will set a new standard for American luxury.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It would be a big mistake to drop the Navigator name for MKN. The name has soo much equity for the Brand? I always thought the MKN name would be applied to a Ford Explorer type vehicle instead. What is the logic here? To keep in line with the other MKsomethings? It would be better to have all SUV type vehicles drop the MK for a different 2 letter naming leaving MK for sedans/coupes and the other for SUV's(C, X, T). This might be less confusing. Of course I still prefer full names but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Navigator name may also be spoiled goods as you said, meaning it is a barrier to customers who associate Navigator with a very different image. I would be surprised however if the Navigator is more than what Caddy has done, which is a restyled truck, complete with solid rear axle. At that point, how different can it be from the original? The new Escalade clearly looks allot like the current Escalade, a big box with bling, not a Range Rover or Mercedes GL. And Caddy has the will to spend on big risky projects like taking on the Germans, Lincoln is even less likely (unless they see something Caddy doesn't).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The Navigator name may also be spoiled goods as you said, meaning it is a barrier to customers who associate Navigator with a very different image. I would be surprised however if the Navigator is more than what Caddy has done, which is a restyled truck, complete with solid rear axle. At that point, how different can it be from the original? The new Escalade clearly looks allot like the current Escalade, a big box with bling, not a Range Rover or Mercedes GL. And Caddy has the will to spend on big risky projects like taking on the Germans, Lincoln is even less likely (unless they see something Caddy doesn't).
If a modern and improved truck-based Navigator could pull in 1K sales per month, it would account for about 12% of Lincoln volume...a similar volume for Ford would be the Fusion. I think this formula is worth keeping for another 6 years or so. Lincoln should have something else up it's sleave to take on Range Rover and the Germans.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I couldn't find a 'Mona Lisa Facepalm' or 'Mount Rushmore Facepalm'
so
* Infinity

actually, I'm hoping this is a bogus ploy to discover which marketing critters need to be fired
& which execs need to be immediately transferred to Ford-Antarctica
(offices/quarters not necessary)

I honestly would not be surprised to see them change the name of the Navigator. It has rotted on the vine so long that the name recognition may not be worth having anymore, versus having a unified naming scheme...
DetroitBORG said:
The Navigator name may also be spoiled goods...
the vehicle has ROTTED (esp the "styling"), not the Name
imho
unified MucK is even worse than sporadic MucK

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

I agree. The Navigator has always been a fancy Expedition..... I'm sure the new one won't be anything like that.

As for the MK nomenclature, I still hate it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Keep Navigator and bring back Aviator, Zephyr, Continental, Town Car, and Mark.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I think the new MKN will be so new and so unlike any Navigator that has ever been, that a new name is warranted.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
If the new name is the start for something different and really new in the segment, welcome that horrible name

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I think the new MKN will be so new and so unlike any Navigator that has ever been, that a new name is warranted.
That is most certainly the case here.

Radically new, in every possible way.
So why stick with a name that represents old Lincoln.
And I never was a big fan of the name anyway.

Everybody best get used to this, because everybody is doing it, more and more as well.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...So why stick with a name that represents old Lincoln.

And I never was a big fan of the name anyway

Everybody best get used to this, because everybody is doing it, more and more as well.
• so why NOT stick with a Name that EVERYone (imho) already knows?

• I am! - think it has a certain "romance" to it - also a feeling of 'adventure'

• imho (contrary to my sense of Mercury-decorum) it seems we fans haven't been vocal enough nor hard enough on FLincMoCo

in letting them know how STUPID we think putting MucK on (all) their vehicles is**

** plus it effectively has KILLED the "MARK" Name
( not completely unlike when they put "Cougar" on a stationwagon )

. .
. . . all just imho

1 - 20 of 101 Posts